Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

OT - What kind of snake is this?

1K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Maadjurguer 
#1 ·
I was on my road bike today near Mummy Mtn when I came across this little guy sunning himself on the street. At first I thought he was dead, but after hanging around and observing him long enough, he started to slither away. I am going to guess he was about 3' long and 1-2" in diameter.

What is this? It's definitely not a rattlesnake. Is it a king snake? Or a big mother of a ground snake?

Thx...Doug

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Noelg said:
I'm going with Western Long-nosed:

https://www.snakesofarizona.com/western_longnosed_snake.htm

Dude, I'm just impressed you stopped long enough to take a picture of anything!!! :thumbsup:
Awesome - I think you're right.

And I was climbing up a pretty steep grade when I came across this little guy, so paused as an excuse to get my lungs back. :D

Thx...Doug

#4 ·
Hmm, I would have just assumed it was a California King Snake, they are pretty common here. I wasn't aware of the Western Long Nose, Only difference I see is the specks of red. Cool find regardless.

BTW, if you ever run across a king snake they are really dosile and easy to grab, BUT they emit an odor that is pretty nasty, I have a pair of riding gloves that never smelled the same after holding one for a photo.

#9 ·
GOPHERSNAKE Pituophis catenifer Non-Venomous

DESCRIPTION: Arizona's longest snake (up to 2,337 mm or 92" in total length). Base coloration is tan, cream, yellow, orange-brown, or pale gray. A series of large, brown, reddish brown, black, or olive blotches lines the back (dorsal blotches). On the neck and anterior half of the body the large dorsal blotches are surrounded by a busy pattern of interconnected linear patches, dashed striations, and small blotches. This pattern becomes much less busy on the posterior portion of the body where the blotches are more distinct and there are fewer surrounding markings. On the tail the markings become a clean pattern of dark bands on a plain background. The belly is pale or white with small dark blotches. The pupils are round. The dorsal scales are keeled distinguishing this snake from the similar looking Glossy Snake.

DISTRIBUTION: This snake is found in nearly every part of the state. It occurs at elevations ranging from near sea level along the Colorado River to about 9,000' in our high mountains. It is absent only from our highest peaks.

HABITAT: A true generalist, this snake is found in all of Arizona's biotic communities with the exception of the small tract of treeless Alpine Tundra on the peaks of the San Francisco Mountains in Coconino County. It is most abundant in moderate terrain such as foothills, bajadas, and flatlands below about 6,000' elevation but it inhabits a wide variety of habitats ranging from hot, dry, low elevation, sand dunes to heavily wooded slopes.

BEHAVIOR: The Gophersnake can be active around the clock when conditions are favorable. It hibernates during the cold months of late fall and winter. It is primarily a ground-dweller but is capable of climbing. When threatened it often raises its head and neck into a striking posture, hisses loudly, flattens and broadens the head, and vibrates the tail. When exhibiting this behavior it is often mistaken for a rattlesnake.

DIET: This is a powerful constrictor that preys on a wide variety of animals including rats, mice, rabbits, lizards, birds, snakes, eggs, and insects.

REPRODUCTION: Mating takes place in spring and a clutch of up to 24 eggs is laid in late spring or early summer. Hatchlings begin to emerge in August.

SUBSPECIES FOUND IN AZ:
SONORAN GOPHERSNAKE Pituophis catenifer affinis. This subspecies is found across all but the northern quarter of the state. Dorsal blotches are usually brown, reddish brown, or olive on the neck.
GREAT BASIN GOPHERSNAKE Pituophis catenifer deserticola. This subspecies is found in the northern quarter of the state. Dorsal blotches are usually black on the neck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.