Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Any interest in a scandium frame with an EBB and replaceable dropouts?

703 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  yourdaguy 
#1 ·
Hey all,

Here's my dream Niner XC frame for my local trails and races:
- Scandium hardtail with geometry like the Air 9 and One 9.
- Replaceable dropouts to run a derailleur or not and an EBB a la the SIR 9.

I emailed Niner about this today and they were good enough to get back to me right away. In the end Chris Sugai was forwarded the email and sent me this response:

Thanks for the feedback. We have heard this request a lot over the years. At this time there is still not enough demand but we are always listening.
Okay, fair enough, and hence this thread. If you like the idea of a frame like I've described and would be interested in seeing it as an addition to Niner's line-up please chime in with your comments.

- Mike

#2 ·
Doesn't interest me so much but I guess I can see the demand.

GF and Van Dessel and I'm sure others make their SS offerings geared optional.

I happen to love the that One 9 is SS only and I have one on order with the current batch in production. If the answer is to make the One 9 geared optional then I hope they don't do it.

#3 ·
Yes! I was very surprised that Niner has the SIR being a steel bike that has an ebb to run single and geared, which is one of its high selling points, yet didnt have the option of an EBB Scandium frame. I think it is very limiting (FOR ME) to buy a bike that is purely single speed only, unless you were a diehard SS'er and knew you would never want the option of at least a 1x9, and obviously there is a seriously high demand for a SS only frame seeing as how the ONE9 is a hit.

With the AIR you can at least run a singlator to do singlespeed. But again for someone like myself who has never taken the leap to SS it is kind of a shot in the dark as to whether or not I would like it. And seeing as how a NINER is not cheap, it would be a much more comfortable purchase if I could go 1x9 or 3x9 if I just didnt dig the singlespeed life. Though it is VERY tempting to build up a lightweight singlespeed, seeing as how many people swear by them. With so many good things to be said of SS, I just may have to take the leap, but much more economicaly than with NINER.

#4 ·
I don't know that there would be enough demand. If I was wanting a bike that could go either way, I would probably be looking for the SIR 9 since it would be cheaper.

Generally, by the time you get all the parts to switch a bike back and forth or build a bike one way and then build it another you end up with the cost of one and a half bikes. I would rather have 2 bikes for a little more money.

Also, you have to look at it from Niners point of view. Probably every one of the "Scandium Is Real" bikes that they sold, would cost them a SIR9 or AIR9 ONE9 sale. So basically, they would be selling the same number of bikes and making and inventorying more models.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.