Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Help with Schwalbe tires

651 views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  juanbeegas 
#1 ·
Hi.
Im new in downhill modality so I will change my tires (1.7) to something about 2.2-2.4.
I´m now using a rigid frame and the bicycle is light, because I'm not heavy and I will go to little downhill trails, not extreme. I´m searching light tires. I think schwalbe would be better for me, but which ? Rocket Ron, Racing Ralph, Nobby Nic,.., or other from other brands...?
I will use then in roots, some rock dry and little wet, no mud.
Thanks

#2 ·
Ummmm.....i hope your gonna be riding a frame that can handle what you wanna ride it on. IMO i wont really go for a light tire, i'd stick with some thing that has a strong sidewall, and a good caseing to it, like a maxxis highroller DH, schwalbe muddy marry , things along thos lines

#6 ·
Fat alberts should fit the bill for what you are looking for. The fr version is pretty tough and the snakeskin side walls are stupid tough compared to a typical single ply.

I ran my Muddy Marys this last week sat, sun, mon, tue, wed, thur, fri and then Monday again from rock boulder drops to fontanna to rock chutes similair to tunnel and jagged as well as jammed down in rocky ruts and just rode them out full speed. Some gashing on the sidewalls but the snakeskin took it and stopped rips, I know because I have blown single plys on almost all these trails...

The fat alberts are 800+g and offer excellent tread as well as braking and cornering. They are more Enduro All mtn Freeridish which should fit your calling spot on. :thumbsup:

#9 ·
urubullino said:
Hi.
Im new.... my tires (1.7)...I´m now using a rigid frame...not extreme... I´m searching light tires...Look, I will go uphill too...
I don't think the downhill - freeride forum was the right place for your question. "All mountain" would have been a better choice.

#11 ·
ryates said:
Hi juan

Have you compared the Rubber Queens with Schwalbe Big Betty's or anything else?
Only with what I have run in the past/am running now(I switch tyres around a lot, I like tinkering on my bike). I have tried friends' bikes with other tyres, but the time I've spent on their bikes don't really allow me to make a proper comparison.

Maxxis Minion DHFDHR
Maxxis Minion DHF/DHF
Maxxis Minion DHF/High Roller
Maxxis High Roller
Continental Mountain King

Overall, I liked the lower weight when compared to those tyres, they gripped well, slid out in corners very predictably(never felt I was going to loose the bike under me) and I could run them in the low 30s and still never had a pinch flat. They did well on loose, hardpack, dry roots, wet roots adn slightly muddy terrain for me.

Hope that helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.