Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Gauging Interest: Crown King to Lake Pleasant?

1K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  TacoBeer 
#1 ·
Is there any interest out there in a Crown King to Lake Pleasant epic this spring? I was up in CK today with the kids and the weather was just beautiful (except for maybe the wind). It seems to me that now would be a good time for such a ride with the temps being just about perfect.

Anyone interested in this before it gets too hot out? We could get up to CK early and maybe get to the Lake by 3 or 4 then relax, grill, drink some beverages and reminisce. The big question (other than general interest) is transportation. I've got a Jeep Wrangler that seats 5 and can transport 4 bikes . . .

Here is a recent thread about this 30+ mile ride: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=471706

#7 ·
Looks like we have 7 or 8 up for it (if friends of those who've posted ride). As far as dates go we ought to take Paul's advice and schedule within the next few weeks. I'm pretty flexible but the real question comes down to transportation. We'd need transportation up then back from lake pleasant.

Any thoughts?

#9 · (Edited)
AKA Monkeybutt said:
How about riding up to CK?
Ya' mean like this:

Crown King Mountain Bike Ride??

Seriously, I'd be willing to do something like this too.

*** ON EDIT ***

I joined this group and RSVPd for this ride. Not as fun as the way down the other side but it's a start.

#11 ·
AKA Monkeybutt said:
It's not singletrack but it's an awesome ride...http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=478858
It looks like it was sorta damp on your ride. The only thing about an up to CK via Bumblebee ride that might concern me is the potential for dust kicked up by every car that goes by. But, there really aren't that many people heading up I guess. I drove up last Sunday and saw maybe 5 vehicles on the way up and 5 on the way down.

#15 ·
bwilless said:
Is this ride still on? I would love to join. I have a 4-runner and can haul 4 bikes, but a van with a driver would be nice :).

Brian
I think it's sorta died off. As Paul mentioned it's pretty difficult logistically. You need to have someone who is willing to drop everyone off at CK. Then, you'll need someone who is willing to pick everyone up at the lake. That trip alone is hours and hours of driving.

As far as driving to CK- you just take exit 248 off I-17 (Bloody Basin Rd) and drive 26 miles. It's a dirt road but certainly drivable.

I am going on a CK ride this weekend organized through a couple MeetUp groups. It's not as epic-ish, I'm sure, as the lake version but it'll be a nice 3500' climb! We are riding up to CK from I-17 (26 miles) then staying the night in CK then riding back down Sunday morning. If anyone is interested in going I think there are something like 12 spots still available and the cost is $65 or $75 (for a room and SAG vehicle).

Jason

#17 ·
If you ever decide to do the Lake Pleasant UP to Crown King on the old mine road (not the forest road off of I-17) I would be interested, I beleive it would be a 6 hour ride up, eat at the restaurant and a 2 hour ride down. And yes, I would be using the geared bike for this one

#20 ·
Sorry I took so long to reply. but yes the trail i am speaking about does turn into Senator Highway eventually if you turn left at the top. but starting at or near Lake Pleasent and take Castle hot Springs rd then turn right and you'll get to Crown King Trail, it will stay Crown King Rd till you get to the top then it will/may be posted FR711 then FR192 then maybe even a couple other names and back to Crown King Road but will lead you to the restaurant. it is a long long ride and if your not fast enough you will get stuck up there after dark. with it being/getting too hot now it may be a while before going but if it cools off enough by the weekend of May 9th I may give it a go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.