Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New tire combo tried, worked good together.

632 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  twowheelsdown2002 
#1 ·
Decided to mount up some new tires on the his and hers Motolites and test em out in our Starr Pass backyard. Maybe an unusual combo, but it worked very well.:thumbsup:

2.4 Panaracer Fire FR front, with 2.1 Velociraptor rear.

Set up "ghetto tubeless" with 26psi front, 28psi rear for me, 25psi front, 27psi rear for her. We have been running Panaracer Rampages "ghetto tubeless with 28psi for me fr/rr, and 26psi for her fr/rr, and also the Maxxis Minion DHR/DHF tires with similar pressures. They are slightly smaller than 2.35 Rampages even though they are labeled the same size. All of these mounted up tubeless easily, and endured rocky trails well. The DHR's wore fast on the rear though.

The 2.4 Fire is big!!:eekster: 2.5 actually. Noticeably bigger than the 2.35 Rampage. Rolls surprisingly well. We went through the south wash by Cat Mtn, and it just ate up the sandy section. Incredible float, I felt like I could carry 2 gears more through washes. Felt like it rolled over rocks with ease. Almost gave the front end a 29er type of feeling with the way it seemed to go up and over rocks. It does feel a little round in profile, resulting in fairly quick turn in at slower speeds, but with a little speed it is very stable. I may go down a couple more pounds to flatten the profile just a touch, and see if that slows the steering a touch. With the volume, I am not too worried about hitting the rim.

The 2.1 Velociraptor did very well also. It looks small compared to the Fire FR, but it has nice, deep paddles, and at 28psi it hooked up well. I ran it so it scoops on the climbs. It also brakes very well, because it does not have any stupid ramps. Just my opinion, but I don't believe in ramps on a rear tire that has to brake, and climb. On the front it makes sense, but the front only has to brake. I hate choosing between braking or climbing bite. You don't have to with this tire. I did not feel like it rolled or accelerated slowly, like I had heard, but Minion DHF/DHR's are not super light either, so I am used to a little tire weight, and don't have to have a roadie slick. The rocks at Starr Pass are not merciful on going "ghetto tubeless" with light tires. I tore 2 Adrenalines in no time out there.

As a combo, they paired up nicely, and riding them dispelled my initial fears after seeing the size difference on the bike. The front seemed to roll fast, float wonderfully, and hold a line well, as well as cush right over rocky chop. The rear accelerated well, cornered good, and uphill and braking traction were excellent, almost zero wheelspin or skidding.

Around 900grams front, 750grams rear puts them on par with the other tires we ran on overall weight. They also converted "ghetto tubeless" effortlessly. I did all 4 tires last night without any problems at all.

Lastly comes price. Got the Fire FR for $27 and the Velociraptor for $17.50. If this combo keeps working well I am going to like not spending $35 every time I wear down a rear tire, and Starr Pass kills em fast if you like to go on the rocky side trails. I think I may have found my desert combo:thumbsup:

See less See more
#3 ·
mcodyw said:
Sorry for the ignorance, but what is "ghetto tubeless"? Is that a stans conversion for a non-tubeless tire?
The home made version.

Inflate a 20" tube. Stretch it around the rim. Cut it down the middle, and let it flop over each side of the rim. Install one bead of the tire. You can use a regular tire on a non UST, or a UST rim this way, or a UST tire on a non UST rim this way. Install about half of the second bead then dump in a couple scoops of Stans sealant. Install the second bead the rest of the way. Air up(35-40psi), then shake the tire side to side and shake the sealant up onto the sidewalls. Rotate tire a few inches and shake again, until you have done this all around the tire. I suggest using some kind of rubber rim strip (Stans or "ghetto") any time you use a regualar non-UST tire, to ensure the bead (which was not designed to seal to a rim) gets a good seal. If not, the regular tire on a UST rim may burp at a really bad time, and quickly deflate your tire. When all sealed up, pull the extra rubber outwards and trim with an exacto. It will stretch back toward the bead and be almost invisible.

Now set the pressure as desired, usually lower than with tubes, and enjoy the ability to get cactus in the tire, and not get a flat, as well as improved traction.:thumbsup:

#5 ·
Chalkpaw said:
Yeah, I'm with you on finding a tire combo that is easy on the pocketbook. Its silly to spend up to $60 on a tire that is going to get chewed to bits on our rocks.
And it sure doesn't seem like the spendy ones last any longer. :nonod:

With Starr Pass and all its rocks right out my back door almost, it seems like I am always looking at the rear tire going "Jeez, my tire looks shot again, didn't I just change it?":madman:

Guess if I stuck to Fantasy Island they would last a while, but that would be boring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.