Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Flaggers - is Elden Rd safe?

2K views 40 replies 17 participants last post by  rockychrysler 
#1 ·
I'm itching to ride big time with such nice weather here in Flagstaff, but the trails aren't quite ready yet. So I'm considering riding up Elden Lookout Rd instead.

What's the traffic situation? Is it just the radio tower maintenance folks? Is it safe to ride? Thanks for the info!

#2 ·
Traffic in the past has been of little problem for me. Might see 0-5 vehicles during the climb. The road is quite rutted out so vehicles go a bit slower. Everyone has been friendly. I haven't been up this season yet. It's a good workout ride but somewhat boring. Tends to be REALLY windy by the towers. Enjoy and please post on conditions.

Dan

#4 ·
Traffic shouldn't be an issue as I think the gate at the base of the road is locked still (It was last week). Even if it is open traffic really doesn't get a chance to get out of hand with the ruts and turns. A friend of mine said rocky ridge is actually dusty so you might tie that in as well.

#5 ·
Elden Lookout Rd conditions

Hey guys, I rode the Oldham trails to Elden Lookout Rd on Fri afternoon. The trails were fine (didn't ride Rocky Ridge though), and the road was rutted and rocky in some spots, with a few muddy switchbacks. I only saw one equestrian and two other riders the whole time.

When I got to the Sunset Park area, all the trails were still covered in about a foot of snow. So, the road is the only way up for now, but it's a great workout!

The road is still gated off at the bottom. Enjoy folks.

#8 ·
Traffic has never been a problem for me, even in the full-blown summer months. Not to say that less traffic wouldn't be nice, but it's never been a problem either.

#10 ·
dthomp325 said:
Take Shultz Creek to Sunset up to the top, it's much more fun than the road.
Probably too much snow on that route.

#11 ·
I haven't been on Elden too much, but heard from a friend that he rode lower oldham and rocky ridge today. I rode Soldiers today at lunch and the snow and standing water is gone, but the trails are flowing w/ run-off. Going to try Fisher Point tomorrow at lunch but was really wet a week ago. I can tell you that Campbell Mesa is dry and dusty, but very mellow and easy trail - had a blast out there w/ my 8 yr old son though for his first mountain bike ride!

HTH,
Brian

#12 ·
There is plenty of snow on Schultz, much lower than I'd expected. So I left that at the second left to the west about a mile from the parking area. Ft Valley trails below the pipeline are fine. Then went back east on rocky ridge, lower oldham, along the base of elden (forces of nature) to fat mans loop and back. Fun times.

#13 ·
Chalkpaw said:
There is plenty of snow on Schultz, much lower than I'd expected. So I left that at the second left to the west about a mile from the parking area. Ft Valley trails below the pipeline are fine. Then went back east on rocky ridge, lower oldham, along the base of elden (forces of nature) to fat mans loop and back. Fun times.
How were the things out there? Dry? I'm itching to ride too :thumbsup:

#14 ·
Any updates on the trails? Heading up today for the week. Soldier trail still wet? Rocky ridge dry enough not to damage?

Anyone happy to know how the dirt roads between munds and mormon lake and/or flag look? I'm hoping to do a Sedona to Flag ride at some point this week (up schnebly..,..prepping for the skull valley sodomy)

#15 ·
Flagstaff...mmm. I can't wait until it gets a bit warmer. I have a ride idea..but it doesn't include Flagstaff, it does include riding above 9000'. :thumbsup:

#18 ·
bigdudecycling said:
Any updates on the trails? Heading up today for the week. Soldier trail still wet? Rocky ridge dry enough not to damage?

Anyone happy to know how the dirt roads between munds and mormon lake and/or flag look? I'm hoping to do a Sedona to Flag ride at some point this week (up schnebly..,..prepping for the skull valley sodomy)
I hear RR is good to go but through the grape vine! Most of Southern Elden at lower elevations are told be mostly dry. All hearsay though. Enjoy!

#19 ·
Went for a quick ride on Christmas Tree and Forces of Nature on Saturday, those were nice and dusty. I'm willing to bet everything else around the base of Elden is too (On the south side at least). Not too cold anymore either, don't even need a jacket during the day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.