Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Hello all you happy people...

523 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  kaboose 
#1 ·
...I'm new to these forums, although I have been stalking for the past month or so. As an introduction (and question) I am about as graceful and skilled as as an epileptic chimp so I ride just north of jomax and 67th ave on the ATV/hiking trails that are 5min away from my house. Anyone familiar with that area and if so how do I deal with the steep and tight switchbacks on the north face of the mountains in that area? I managed to navigate a few on the way down but uphill is another matter. Being mainly footpaths, I assume that some level of trials skill would be required. I'm thinking I should stick to the easy ATV trails for a bit longer but trial by fire is fun for me. I have been riding consistently for the past month but intermittently since 17 and I'm turning 27 next month. I bought a $300 '98 Gary Fisher Kaitai back in 2001 and everything is stock except the tires. Once I shave I'm not scared of getting cut up enroute to new skills so if any one needs an inept ride buddy that gets winded quicky (but can stay winded for a long time) let me know. I work nightshift full time and a full time student, but I'll make time.

-Dan

ps I'm a huge fan of run on sentances

#2 ·
Welcome

Well welcome Diesel Dan.
The key to switchbacks - going up-have lots of speed and keep your front wheel firmly on the outside line of the corner. Spin those pedals as fast as you can getting to the apex of the turn.
Going down- Ever ride a motorcycle? no then this will take awhile. When your turning keep your weight to the inside and lean the bike to the outside, if need-be take your inside foot off the pedal and just dab your way around the corner at first until you know your bike can make the turn. Use rear brake mostly, but dont skid, let your front roll around the outside line.
Practice practice pratice. DD

#3 ·
liteandfast said:
Well welcome Diesel Dan.
The key to switchbacks - going up-have lots of speed and keep your front wheel firmly on the outside line of the corner. Spin those pedals as fast as you can getting to the apex of the turn.
Going down- Ever ride a motorcycle? no then this will take awhile. When your turning keep your weight to the inside and lean the bike to the outside, if need-be take your inside foot off the pedal and just dab your way around the corner at first until you know your bike can make the turn. Use rear brake mostly, but dont skid, let your front roll around the outside line.
Practice practice pratice. DD
My key to switchbacks.... turn your head and look at where you want to go (learned the same thing in motorcycle school!) If you are looking down the line, your body and bike will likely follow. This is true for all riding actually... eyes ahead!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.