Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Pemberton C Ride Tonight

665 views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Umbrous 
#1 ·
My buddy may have to bail on me tonight, and my wife would rather I have a riding partner. I am planning to start at dusk from a secret location (since I hear it is not legal these days). I usually ride counter-clockwise. My level is C, sort of weekend-warrior+.

Let me know if you are in, and I will pm the start spot.

#3 ·
Well, I am glad you didn't come, afterall. We started at 158th, clockwise. There was a huge group party going on at the pavillion in the parking lot. Then we came upon a group of hikers coming out of the Dixie Mine area.

A couple of volunteer rangers went completely apesh!t when they saw us. The real ranger was much cooler, but still told us to leave. We tried to exit clockwise, but she advised that a deputy was parked at the road near the trail (I forget the name of this unofficial access point).

We turned around and rode back to 158th, which sucked. I fully expected to meet the deputy there, but apparently there was some real crime in progress.

Moral: Never go clockwise on a Saturday night just after sunset. Either go Friday, or go counter-clockwise.

#4 ·
The park rules are posted pretty much everywhere out there, trails are open from sunrise to sunset. The park management is extremely adamant about users being off the trails after posted hours...and the sheriff dept has a fuel station there, so they patrol the area 24/7. You're lucky you didn't get busted by the cops for trespassing on county property, you'd be wearing pink undies and eating bologna sammies.

#5 ·
i am a c-rider and ride pemberton ccw a lot
BUT
i would never ride when it's not authorized, or
invite others to partake in such crime. i'm
surprised the moderators didn't act on this
thread.

why don't you ride pemberton or any other
trail when it's legal to do so? :madmax:

[edit] if you can only ride at night, wait a few
weeks, the park opens the trails once a month
for night riding during the summer months.

#7 ·
[My buddy may have to bail on me tonight, and my wife would rather I have a riding partner. I am planning to start at dusk from a secret location (since I hear it is not legal these days).]

Ummm...looks like you knew it wasn't legal when you first posted....

#14 ·
vlink12 said:
Thanks, Umbrous. That was going to be my next question. I've heard that area requires a permit of some kind. Is it state trust land?
Best thing about the state trust land is that they don't close at dusk like the parks but there isn't much in the way of decent trails on state trust in Phoenix. Phoenix parks (Phx Mtn Preserve and South Mountain) are probably the most accepting of night riding and riding at a Maricopa county park is just about impossible. Not sure if you could ride at Papago at night, but it is a Phoenix park too. I've had rangers at Maricopa parks nearly come down the trails looking for me for not being off the trail at exactly the right time (I wasn't night riding, just running short of sunlight due to a mech.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.