Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Pmp ?

1K views 40 replies 12 participants last post by  Cycle64 
#1 ·
In the image the red line is from the GPS data on a little loop I've been doing. I'm kicking around adding the 1A section to my loop. Question is I'm a heavy dude and either direction this climb is going to be tough for me. So which direction is the easiest, heading up from CP or coming off T100 and over to CP?

See less See more
#2 ·
The climb up from CP through the switchbacks is really pretty easy. There's a nasty little climb coming from the east which I believe is in the bottom right corner of your pic. It's short but steep and loose. I only clear it about half the time. You shouldn't have much trouble hitting 1A from the west, it's a longish climb but nothing very hard.

#3 ·
Actually, the more I look at your pic, if you're talking about climbing up from where the green dot is on your map, you would miss the climb I'm talking about, which is on the offshoot headed to the bottom corner. Anyway, I'd still go up 1A from the west side if I were you. I usually take 8 from the 40th street lot, cross T100, and connect into 1A from the backside of the mtn. Not sure of all the trail numbers.

#4 ·
Don't know the area well enough to advise on the climb, but I do see something on your image I have a question about. To the right of the green dot T-100 marking, in the upper right hand corner there is a trial that comes from what I believe is Porcupine Rim down to T-100. Does that have a name?

I usually ride from 40th St, and take Porc. Rim and come down that hill, go R on T-100 and end up on 1A. I drop off IA in the lower right part of the image (looks red in the image) and then climb back up the hill in quesiton, and roll porc. back to 40th st.

#5 ·
According to Dale's map it connects to Fat Man's pass so it may be part of that trail. Been thinking of coming up Porcupine Rim also to make a little change in the route. Doing a scan with google earth it looks like a west entry (1A) may be best for me as a starter direction. Also looking at the climb northwest of CP which will connect back to the upper Zipper.

Thanks for the replies!

#9 ·
That climb on the east side is a fun little bugger. . .usually a good trend setter for the day on whether or not I can clean it.

Looooooose.

This little ascribed section of 1A got sanitized way down a while back right? There were a fun few sections that always made be dabble and balance to get through.

#10 ·
I take CP up to 1A at least twice a week, and I am 220lbs. I would highly recommend this route. If you do this, you can take 1A east past your map until you really reach this loose section as 1A turns south - this takes to to some fun DH, and then you can make a loop a number of directions back to the 40th St parking lot. To start, you may just want to jump back onto T100, but remember to keep pushing yourself to try as many of the T100 offshoots that you can. I have discovered some of the best intermediate XC loops out there, and on better days, I don't even have to get off the bike. I also think that section of 1A provides some of the best views in the PMP.

#11 ·
You might also try this little offshoot to T100, which is in blue. It has a couple of steep washes which are really fun to ride, and connects to T100 at CP. It's fun in both directions.

Attachments

#12 ·
dirthead said:
You might also try this little offshoot to T100, which is in blue. It has a couple of steep washes which are really fun to ride, and connects to T100 at CP. It's fun in both directions.
I've taken a break at the bottom of that many times. While it kind of looks like a trial I always wondered if it was an old non used trial. I'll give it a shot also!! :thumbsup:

#13 · (Edited)
Hit it from the west and why have I not ridden that section before now! It is a must ride for my progression in mountain biking! Took it easy overall as I always do on the first attempt. Only walked twice and both were not really necessary just caught off guard. Heading east about 3/4 of the way through there is section you make a right with a set of rocks maybe two feet tall. I was not ready for it and walked over that, I'll get it next time for sure! Next was the last section heading back down to T100. The top 30 yards or so I should have ridden but walked as the loose rock again caught me off guard a little as it really is not that bad of a section. Again an attempt will be made in the future. Climb up from CP was not as bad as I thought but still taxed the fat dude. I stopped at each switch back but knowing the trial I can push it more. I want to thank the guy on the light blue GF as he passed and said it gets flat up past the next section. I was almost ready to turn around and would have missed all the fun stuff.

Green dot is where I walked 20 yards or so before clipping back in.

At the bench.

#14 ·
Great job! There are a few sections on 1A that can catch you off guard if you don't know they are there. The best way to improve your climbing is to climb climb climb. Try to go a little further each time and before you know it you'll be clearing the switchbacks. There's a lot of really fun stuff at PMP. I'm not sure how familiar you are with the trails, but if you want to ride sometime just shoot me a pm. I'd be happy to show you some of the offshoots.

#15 ·
Thanks, I took like 6 breaks on this ride mostly from CP to the end of 1A where I headed back to T100. As far as riding the area. I've been out there for a few years but have not really ventured off in these areas. Basically ridden T100 proper end to end if you add up all my different rides. Dirdir showed me the lower mine trail and a little bit of some stuff around the AW house. We went west before we got all the way to the house. Those were the days Dirdir riding dirt! :D Better be nice he let's me park at his house! I did notice where the start of the climb on the switchbacks a trial heading back west and down to T100 proper. I want to try that also. I'm not that strong of a rider so I mostly just solo my rides as I hate to hold up people even if they say it is OK. 'Size will put up with my rides now and then but he is a DHiller now! ;) I have been riding better lately for me so I'm happy and is why I gave this a shot. I'm in a groove now and will be hitting that area as much as I can on Tuesday and Thursday around 4:00pm or so. So if you see me out there feel free to say hello and maybe if I'm feeling good I'll tag along some. You can always hit me up at trb @ ackits,com and see if I'm riding that day.

#17 ·
azdog said:
That section is fun! I start getting off work an hour earlier next week so I should be out there a lot more around 5PM or so. Might join ya for a loop.
I'll be moving my start time a little later also as the heat picks up and we start to get busy. Plus the sun is staying out a little longer now for daylight rides. One thing I would like to get more into this summer is night rides. If the sun is not beating down on me temperature is not as much of a factor, I kind of like riding in warmer weather.

#19 ·
SoloRider said:

There's a small group I used to ride with that referred to that spot as five dollar hill, anyone that cleaned the climb collected $5 from everyone else on the ride. The climb from the East on 1A was the five dollar alternate. Money didn't change hands very often, I only collected once.
From T100 up or just the upper section? With all that loose rock for me I would be half dead trying to clean it from T100. Heck I'll be dead working just the upper part. :p

#20 ·
My schedule just changed as well, and I will be coming up the 51 around 6pm some days and would be down for a friday happy hour ride as we move into the warmer months and longer days.

I hope to ride out of 40th street sunday morning. Anyone interested hit me with a PM, or find me on a red Trek Fuel EX6, probably shooting for 10am FIP.

#24 ·
Not sure yet, I brought everyhting in but as the other thread states my ankle is still a tad sore. I could ride but as with my knee. I don't want to jack it up and then be off the bike for a few weeks. Think I may just hit the gym or take the crusier out for a spin down the green belt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.