Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Newb advice for Haro X6 in the Phoenix Area

3K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  way-no 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

I am pretty new to the sport but am getting addicted and quick. I currently have a Hardtail Giant but am seeing how much i would really like to have a Full suspension bike. I am notriously a Craigslist Ho and try to buy everything from there since I am willing sacrifice it being new for a better price / features I wouldnt opt for if purchasing new.

I have been checking looking high and low and have checked some bikes out but just found a show that has some 08 Haro Extreme X6 available for $650 new. That is in my price point but I just want to make sure its inline with my desired riding style.

I just rode McDoweel Mountains for the first time and completley loved it. I don't know what you would classify that type of riding as but every chance I get I try and jump.

So for that the bike seems inline with my ideas but many people say its not good for XC and I don't wan to be getting left behind the pack ya know... any thoughts?

#2 ·
WhenI started riding it was on small travel bikes and as my riding progressed the trails got harder and the bikes got bigger and the travel grew longer. That being said, I would look for an all mountain bike with 6 inches of travel at the least.Thats my two cents anyways.

#3 ·
and from whatg I can tell the haro x6 comes with mech brakes not hydro something to consider. and If u are wanting to do XC stuff thats probley not the bike your looking for. Also the components are really improtant, and you get what u pay for, and by the factory spec list u will end up replacing some of those for sure, but it will get you started.

#4 ·
Honestly

If your price point is only $650, I would stick with your hardtail til you can save up more money. You said you enjoy jumping.
IMO, you would be better off on your HT with better parts than a cheap fully.
Like Greff said, the more travel you get, the more you will want to challenge yourself, this could lead to a terrible downhill mentality, and when that happens there is no going back!:D

#5 ·
Whoa, everyone needs to calm down. I started out on a Haro Extreme X2 in 2004, which is the exact same bike as the Haro X6, only slightly older, and it was a fantastic bike. I love my new Titus, but that old Haro pedaled well, descended really well, and climbed pretty damn well too. I may not be the fastest guy out there but I still outrode many guys on their boutique bikes on my Haro.

Kortface, one of the regular posters here on the AZ boards rides a 2004 Haro Extreme X2 and he is one of the fastest guys I know. It is a good frame and I never regretted the upgrades as I crashed and bashed it.

Don't let the trash talking get you down, Haro makes some underrated bikes. It was a great first bike to learn on and I rode it on XC trails like Trail 100 and Desert Classic and I also rode it down some of the gnarliest trails in the valley, including Holbert and Goat Camp. I downhilled it with it at Bootleg and caught serious air with it on some of the now illegal jumps on National. This is one versatile bike.

Attachments

#7 ·
NMPhi767 said:
Whoa, everyone needs to calm down. I started out on a Haro Extreme X2 in 2004, which is the exact same bike as the Haro X6, only slightly older, and it was a fantastic bike. I love my new Titus, but that old Haro pedaled well, descended really well, and climbed pretty damn well too. I may not be the fastest guy out there but I still outrode many guys on their boutique bikes on my Haro.

Kortface, one of the regular posters here on the AZ boards rides a 2004 Haro Extreme X2 and he is one of the fastest guys I know. It is a good frame and I never regretted the upgrades as I crashed and bashed it.

Don't let the trash talking get you down, Haro makes some underrated bikes. It was a great first bike to learn on and I rode it on XC trails like Trail 100 and Desert Classic and I also rode it down some of the gnarliest trails in the valley, including Holbert and Goat Camp. I downhilled it with it at Bootleg and caught serious air with it on some of the now illegal jumps on National. This is one versatile bike.
No one is trash talking the bike just being honest. If he saved up a little more cash it will save him money in the long run. Look on ebay buy a fully frame and build your own bike up if u want or buy a bike used on CL good time to buy a bike used if u have the cash u can get a amazing deal. I have a few friends that ride haros but they are big DH bikes. I had a bike simular to the x6 and cracked the frame on Holbert. So like I said it cost me more in the long run rather than just starting with a bike that I could grow into with my skill level.

#8 ·
The X6 KICKS ASS!!!!!!! There is really no better bike for the money. The mech brakes work fine, but if you get the X6 comp then you get hydro brakes a 20mm thrue axle fork and a Fox Van R shock witch is a big upgrade over the base X6.

#9 ·
Greffster said:
No one is trash talking the bike just being honest. If he saved up a little more cash it will save him money in the long run. Look on ebay buy a fully frame and build your own bike up if u want or buy a bike used on CL good time to buy a bike used if u have the cash u can get a amazing deal. I have a few friends that ride haros but they are big DH bikes. I had a bike simular to the x6 and cracked the frame on Holbert. So like I said it cost me more in the long run rather than just starting with a bike that I could grow into with my skill level.
Sorry, you were not trash talking. I was having flashbacks to when some guy at a bike shop told me I needed to get a real suspension design or some other a-hole who told me it wasn't the bike when I climbed the widowmaker on Mormon Loop. I have issues...

That being said, Titus frames crack, Santa Cruz frames crack, Turner frames crack, so your argument does not hold water here. You cracked a frame similar to a Haro Extreme, but you did not crack a Haro Extreme, did you? So I am not sure how that is a good argument either. As far as having to replace parts, anyone who rides downhill trails is going to have to do this. I have replaced so many parts because of South Mountain, but who hasn't? Case a jump, slam your derailer on a rock, crash your brain outs, parts are going to break. This is going to happen regardless of what frame they are attached to. I ran the mechanical brakes for a long time and they worked fine but after catching my rear brake on a rock and pretty much tearing that up, then following up a month later by ripping my second derailleur off (an XT btw) I decided to go with the Saint set-up. It didn't matter though as I would have had to replace those parts on any bike.

All I am saying is this is a good bike that you will get a lot of mileage and fun out of.

#10 ·
you know the funny thing is a lot of the things mentioned above is what I was kinda telling the shop when I told them I want to sleep on it. I have read a lot of reviews on the components and it looks like I am getting what I pay for which is the toss up. As for building up my hardtail my thoughts on that is if I get a bike is this scenario, lets just say I got my hardtail for $300, I know I already want a new fork so say $250, ive already put $50 towards new tires so im up to $600 spent to have a decent setup since none of the other components standout as needing upgrade except the fork. Or I do get the $700 X6 (with tax) and sell my hardtail for $50 less then I bought for then I'm at $750 spent have a rear suspension, forks that actually felt noticeably better and pretty much equivalent componets for the rest. I do have that feeling like I should be shooting for a higher end bike but I am on a budget so a $150 price differential seems favorable

What would you call the riding done at McDowell Mountains called? I don't really know with XC riding would be defined as, but if it means like lone flat rides I want none if that. I want to be jumping and stuff so I don't think it not being good for XC is ok. But if Mcdowell was to be considered XC then I might have to reconsider cause so for that was the best riding I have done.

#12 ·
CaptMorgan said:
you know the funny thing is a lot of the things mentioned above is what I was kinda telling the shop when I told them I want to sleep on it. I have read a lot of reviews on the components and it looks like I am getting what I pay for which is the toss up. As for building up my hardtail my thoughts on that is if I get a bike is this scenario, lets just say I got my hardtail for $300, I know I already want a new fork so say $250, ive already put $50 towards new tires so im up to $600 spent to have a decent setup since none of the other components standout as needing upgrade except the fork. Or I do get the $700 X6 (with tax) and sell my hardtail for $50 less then I bought for then I'm at $750 spent have a rear suspension, forks that actually felt noticeably better and pretty much equivalent componets for the rest. I do have that feeling like I should be shooting for a higher end bike but I am on a budget so a $150 price differential seems favorable

What would you call the riding done at McDowell Mountains called? I don't really know with XC riding would be defined as, but if it means like lone flat rides I want none if that. I want to be jumping and stuff so I don't think it not being good for XC is ok. But if Mcdowell was to be considered XC then I might have to reconsider cause so for that was the best riding I have done.
Very recently there was a list for "Rating the Trails in Phoenix" or some very similar name - read the last few pages of Thread titles - you will find it. McDowells (park or the Preserve) are both XC, generally speaking.

#13 ·
What would you call the riding done at McDowell Mountains called?
I would call it xc with a little tech thrown in here and there. But what I call it doesn't mean much. Let me ask you this...Do you eventually want to ride more advanced trails than McDowell? You mentioned jumps/drops. If so read on.

I say get the Haro. Kort rocks his all over SoMo and the trails don't get much more challanging than that. Hell, his bike only has 2 gears (and he claims he is always in the wrong one, lol).

Regarding saving more money to get a better bike. Ok. That will save you money in the long run but most people who are giving you this advice never followed this same logic. Hindsight is 20/20 as they say. Many of us started on a cheap bike (HT in my case), then got addicted. Then bought a more expensive bike (4'' FS in my case). Then as their skills advanced and they started getting addicted to much more advanced trails and terrain they got an even more expensive bike (6'' FS in my case) with slacker geometry and super expensive/plush fork to soak up the rocks.

Get that bike. Ride the crap out of it and in a few years you get an even better bike. That's just the way it is when you don't have the cash to spend right now.

P.S. I would say if you could save for the upgraded suspension and hydro's it would be WELL worth it b/c at the $700 price range the frame is almost trivial compared to the components. Nice fork/rear shock can really transform an OK ride to a really great ride.

#18 ·
I really appreciate all the feedback from everyone

Pretty much decided that I am going to pick up the X6 tonight once I get off work

You know what is baffling to me? Is your alls work schedules haha, every post I see is about going for rides during the week. Am I like the only guy that works for the man M-F 8-5?

I was all pumped for the spring fligh til I realized its a Wednesday. I will probably still go but it will be because I'm playing hookey that day

What is a pump track btw?

#19 ·
CaptMorgan said:
You know what is baffling to me? Is your alls work schedules haha, every post I see is about going for rides during the week. Am I like the only guy that works for the man M-F 8-5?
No, you're not.
But we keep quiet out of jealousy.

#20 ·
CaptMorgan said:
I really appreciate all the feedback from everyone

Pretty much decided that I am going to pick up the X6 tonight once I get off work

I was all pumped for the spring fligh til I realized its a Wednesday. I will probably still go but it will be because I'm playing hookey that day

What is a pump track btw?
video google pump track,,you have to see it to understand,,

show, some pics of the bike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.