Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Rear Hub Options?

1K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  larryo108 
#1 ·
Hey folks,

Thinking about building some newer and lighter wheels for my 29er. Currently have a Phil Wood Kiss Off Fix/Free coupled with a White Industries ENO freewheel. Nice combo to be sure.

Who else makes rear hubs (NON DISC) that are threaded for freewheel? I know that Paul Components does.

I have had several rear wheels with converted cassette bodies that use single cogs with spacers. I'm OK with that system but do prefer the ENO f/w.

How is the system that Chris King makes with the King cog and their spacers? Is the cog pretty solid in place or does it have lateral movement?

From my initial searching it appears that the system from Paul is the lightest but I'd love to hear your opinions as to reliability or other good options.

Thanks!

#7 ·
I have a set of Paul hubs and love them. I will probably move away from them in my future build though, just because they do not have the color options I want for a disc hub. I actually contacted Paul to see if I could get some red ones and the answer was pretty much no. I also asked if I could just get the hubshell raw and all of the inner guts separately, so I could have them custom anodized. I was told they do not like to ship the hubs without the bearings installed. So I will move on from Paul with my next wheelbuild.

#8 ·
Paul, Chub, White, King, Ringle all make nice light SS hubs for freewheel or cassette.

If you're not concerned with newness you could look for American Classics and Bullseye hubs from the 80's and 90's on ebay. I've got a set of each I use on my SS commuter and cyclocross bikes. Both take thread-on freewheels and have been durable. the Bullseye has seen 3 different rim sizes since 1988 and hasn't needed bearings.

#9 ·
Chub hubs look really cool, are light and build a very strong wheel. Although they are disc the high flanges add a lot of strength, and you could always run a tomicog to have the flip-flop fixed option if you want. I'm running Phils but if I were going for a second wheelset those would be my choice.

#10 ·
digit3 said:
I had never seen those True Precision hubs before. Rear SS hub appears to be disc only though.
errm... you mean the hub comes with disc mounts, and there's no version without disc mounts?
Because the rim you lace the hub to obviously is what determines whether the wheel is disc-only.

#11 ·
digit3 said:
Hey folks,

Thinking about building some newer and lighter wheels for my 29er. Currently have a Phil Wood Kiss Off Fix/Free coupled with a White Industries ENO freewheel. Nice combo to be sure.

Who else makes rear hubs (NON DISC) that are threaded for freewheel? I know that Paul Components does.

I have had several rear wheels with converted cassette bodies that use single cogs with spacers. I'm OK with that system but do prefer the ENO f/w.

How is the system that Chris King makes with the King cog and their spacers? Is the cog pretty solid in place or does it have lateral movement?

From my initial searching it appears that the system from Paul is the lightest but I'd love to hear your opinions as to reliability or other good options.

Thanks!
Not the lightest out there but surly does as well.

#12 ·
Thanks for all of the replies to date. After looking at my options and balancing the $$ cost vs. anticipated performance vs. weight, I think that I am going to give the Paul's Components rear hub a try.

Although I have always been happy with my White Industries ENO hubs, I want to drop some weight and Paul's design seems like a good one.

#13 ·
Just got me an Industry 9 rear hub. I like it. I like it a lot.

They just recently started producing a rear single speed hub for a J-bend spoke (vice their proprietary spoke setup).

Why I9? It is the fastest engaging hub on the market. Check it.

One would think that this would be a pretty big deal for any SSer...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.