Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Its Heating Up Here In Arizona-Keeping Hydrated

628 views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  tjkm 
#1 ·
I am excited to be getting back out on the bike. Too many years gone by doing other stuff and not enough time riding.

I see the Camelbacks around and I'm wondering is that the best way to carry fluid and keep hydrated.

I've got a bunch of long sleeve sun protective shirts that also wicks away moisture. Is anyone using those or ...........?

Do you guys confine your riding to early AM or in the evening?

Thanks

Keith

#2 ·
Welcome back

Yeah camelbacks are great, they hold water and tools and food. They allow you to drink handsfree just about. I have a 70oz and a 100oz. The 100 oz is great for a few hours. Now is the best riding temps, but soon we will be waking up earlier and earlier to beat the heat. I use long sleeve shirts now and then. And yes SPF shirts are getting more and more popular.
Night riding is a blast, you think you know a trail... go back at night with a light and its like a whole new trail.

Again welcome back ...enjoy and stay hydrated..

Dave

#3 ·
Some kind of hydration pack is a good idea if you're going to be on your bike more than a couple hours. I go through about 20oz/hour when it's NOT hot, and like double that when it is. My 100ozzer will get me through maybe 2-3 hours of riding on a summer morning. But there's definitely something to be said for the lighter on-body weight and improved air circulation of going w/o pack. I do, sometimes, if the ride's going to be confined to an hour or so -- just tool baggie and water bottle in cage.

Personally, I try and start riding by 5-5:30 in the summer and be done by 6:30 or 7 at the VERY latest. But I'm a huge wuss about the heat (among other things, but we're just talking about the heat right now). Night rides are nice too, and you can go out pretty hot and not be in as much danger -- not riding in direct sunlight is a huge help.

Lots of pre- and post-hydration. Electrolyte replacement is a good idea, although it's expensive to buy mix w/o lots of extra sugar (i.e. gatorade, accelerade, yadda yadda).

Long-sleeve wicking protective shirts are a very good idea, but I usually go the other way and go sleeveless + bib if I'm afraid of overheating. It's not a fashion statement, believe me.

p.

#4 ·
Long-sleeve wicking protective shirts are a very good idea, but I usually go the other way and go sleeveless + bib if I'm afraid of overheating. It's not a fashion statement, believe me.

p.[/QUOTE]

I've seen Paul in a bib, He meant to say it IS a fashion statement, cactusJoe can back me up on this one. Right JB..

#5 ·
thevalvesource said:
I am excited to be getting back out on the bike. Too many years gone by doing other stuff and not enough time riding.

I see the Camelbacks around and I'm wondering is that the best way to carry fluid and keep hydrated.

I've got a bunch of long sleeve sun protective shirts that also wicks away moisture. Is anyone using those or ...........?

Do you guys confine your riding to early AM or in the evening?

Thanks

Keith
I think officially, we're "down here." And if you think this is hot....<insert goofy smily face thingy with the rolling eyes/>

#8 ·
masterp2 said:
Long sleeve white shirt, instant AC on demand with evaporative cooling. I like to ride afternoons in the summer, can stay very comfortable as long as there is water. Often find if I get light headed, just wet the shirt, and 5-10 mph makes it feel like it is 80 outside.
I normally play a fair amount of golf in the summer, carrying my clubs. No way is the energy output the same as riding but, if I wear one of those SPF long sleeve white shirts (they also wick away sweat), drink plenty of water and keep as much skin covered up as possible - I'm fairly comfy.

#9 ·
Paul B said:
Some kind of hydration pack is a good idea if you're going to be on your bike more than a couple hours. I go through about 20oz/hour when it's NOT hot, and like double that when it is. My 100ozzer will get me through maybe 2-3 hours of riding on a summer morning. But there's definitely something to be said for the lighter on-body weight and improved air circulation of going w/o pack. I do, sometimes, if the ride's going to be confined to an hour or so -- just tool baggie and water bottle in cage.
And even that doesn't seem like a lot of water to me. I can be downing it at 100oz/hr in the heat of the summer during serious exertion, and that's not even in the heat of Phoenix. How do I ride in the summer? I take more than 100oz (bladders or bladder+bottles in pack), ride somewhere where I can fill-up, ride when it is cool in the mornings and eveninings (I'm up at altitude) or ride at a higher altitude where it's cooler.

I also don't quite understand the long-sleeve thing. People use to say in the army that you "leave the sleeves down to keep the moisture in", but then you'll overheat and feel like crap. It's a poor fix for not having enough water and electrolytes IMO. There is something to be said for the sun though, you gotta be putting on the sunscreen on EVERY ride. In that sense a little extra protection might not be bad, but you got to weigh it against your body surface-area being exposed so it can sweat.

#10 ·
Jayem said:
I also don't quite understand the long-sleeve thing. People use to say in the army that you "leave the sleeves down to keep the moisture in", but then you'll overheat and feel like crap. It's a poor fix for not having enough water and electrolytes IMO. There is something to be said for the sun though, you gotta be putting on the sunscreen on EVERY ride. In that sense a little extra protection might not be bad, but you got to weigh it against your body surface-area being exposed so it can sweat.
My .02 worth. When I'm doing my thing in the summer, I am DEFINITELY cooler with a long sleeve shirt that wicks moisture away from the skin. In addition, the shirt holds the moisture in the fabric and almost acts like evap cooling with the breeze flowing thru it.

I would think that 100% cotton would be a no-no as would 100% poly skin tight stuff but I am a firm believer in those other types of wicking shirts. Nike makes a shirt like that as do several folks that sell SPF rated clothing.

#12 ·
azjeff said:
Explain the landscapers I see in Phoenix wearing dark long sleeve shirts...in the summer.:confused:
Depends on the level of exertion/availability of water IMO. The body is pretty apt at sweating, once that gets transfered to a fabric it may still work, but IME not quite as well. As I said earlier, shade/blocking the sun on the other hand makes a lot more sense.

#13 ·
Wicking fabrics are great in the winter to stay dry and warm, and most people stay away from cotton. What about the opposite in the heat? Cotton absorbs moisture, so a sweaty cotton shirt on a bike ride may act as a cooling device once you build up some speed.

I just purchased some Hammer electrolyte capsules. They are supposed to be even more effective in hot conditions. I carry 100 oz of water for sure in the summer, and for me, need to be done by 8:30-9am or is starts getting too hot for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.