Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

AZ Tube Prep & Stans/Slime

2K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  DustyBones 
#1 ·
I just went and put in a 50/50 mix, 2 oz. of Stans and 2 oz. of Slime in each of my 29er tubes. Will this be adequate for the AZ desert in terms of preventing leaks if I get poked by cactus or something spiny?

I don't run tubeless, and I've not tried ghetto tubeless yet, as I don't want to get in a situation where a pump wont seal if something burps and the bead breaks. Rims are a Salsa Del Gado in front and a Sun Rhyno Lite in the rear.

Input from those in the low desert to Sedona appreciated, as that's where I'll most likely be riding.

Thanks.

#3 ·
RandyBoy said:
I just went and put in a 50/50 mix, 2 oz. of Stans and 2 oz. of Slime in each of my 29er tubes. Will this be adequate for the AZ desert in terms of preventing leaks if I get poked by cactus or something spiny?

I don't run tubeless, and I've not tried ghetto tubeless yet, as I don't want to get in a situation where a pump wont seal if something burps and the bead breaks. Rims are a Salsa Del Gado in front and a Sun Rhyno Lite in the rear.

Input from those in the low desert to Sedona appreciated, as that's where I'll most likely be riding.

Thanks.
Bring a pair of pliers, too. The biggest threat of all is the dreaded Cholla ball, and if you get one stuck in your tires it will probably end up stuck to you unless you are very, very careful.

I find that I get very few flats with slime, and now tubeless slime. Most of my flats have been pinch flats -- on some trails the rocks are pretty square so the risk of flatting is a high. (At the west end of National the rocks are mostly worn smooth by all the traffic.)

Enjoy your visit.

#7 ·
Bring a pair of pliers, too. The biggest threat of all is the dreaded Cholla ball, and if you get one stuck in your tires it will probably end up stuck to you unless you are very, very careful.
Been there! Leave them in I say. Usually when you pull them out you start leaking air like mad.

#12 ·
RandyBoy said:
Is there a trick to removing a cholla ball, or a proper way to do it? What size pair of pliers are we talking about? For removing single spines or the whole ball? Never have seen a Cholla Ball, so proportion wise, I don't know what to prepare for.

2x2inches. do not grab it. fling it with comb, 2 rocks, 2 sticks. the spines you can pull out with your fingers if you are careful. If you do change your tires, be sure to run your fingers thoroughly inside your tire to get out any leftovers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.