Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

The unthinkable…

3K views 49 replies 29 participants last post by  JuniorAZ 
#1 ·
#2 ·
No experience with that bike, but I have a singlespeed Transition TransAM and I absolutely love it an the more rolly-polly trails around (generally San Tan Regional Park) A couple of my friends have the KHS that's wildly similar to that Motobecane and they really like it for mellow rides and running to the grocer.

#13 ·
Jeff -- knowing the level of bikes you are currently riding (Turner) and your riding style, my advice to you is not to go cheap. Either borrow somebody else's "nice" SS for a week to see if you like it, or buy something higher-end and trust you are going to like it and want to keep it.

No offense to anybody reading this post, but the "cheap" rides like the Haro Mary and Redline Monocog (or any other sub-$1000 ride) just aren't going to cut it for you. To keep the costs down, those bikes have really low-end brakes and wheels...which are going to absolutely pale in comparison to the strong wheelsets and blingy hydraulic disc brakes you are used to. On top of that, those bikes are also built with heavy house-brand parts, making the final bike a tank...some weighing in at 30 pounds or more (my friends Redline was like 31).

What you will end up with is a flexy, heavy ride that will get in the way of the "do I like how an SS hardtail rides" goal you have.

My advice -- find a good used 29'er SS with higher-end parts for around $1000 instead of trying to buy something new for that same price. You'll end up with a MUCH better bike. There are plenty of them out there...

Thx...Doug

#14 ·
dgangi said:
My advice -- find a good used 29'er SS with higher-end parts for around $1000 instead of trying to buy something new for that same price. You'll end up with a MUCH better bike. There are plenty of them out there...
I second this opinion!!! Going cheap just isn't worth it and will cost more in the end because you'll be replacing the cheap bike soon with a better bike.

#15 ·
Great advice...

dgangi said:
Jeff -- knowing the level of bikes you are currently riding (Turner) and your riding style, my advice to you is not to go cheap. Either borrow somebody else's "nice" SS for a week to see if you like it, or buy something higher-end and trust you are going to like it and want to keep it.

No offense to anybody reading this post, but the "cheap" rides like the Haro Mary and Redline Monocog (or any other sub-$1000 ride) just aren't going to cut it for you. To keep the costs down, those bikes have really low-end brakes and wheels...which are going to absolutely pale in comparison to the strong wheelsets and blingy hydraulic disc brakes you are used to. On top of that, those bikes are also built with heavy house-brand parts, making the final bike a tank...some weighing in at 30 pounds or more (my friends Redline was like 31).

What you will end up with is a flexy, heavy ride that will get in the way of the "do I like how an SS hardtail rides" goal you have.

Thx...Doug
I'm right there with Doug and Kathleen. With your knowledge of the network here I'm sure someone has a 9er SS they will loan you for a week. Not me, however. I really like gears. I had a nightmare once about owning a SS. Woke up wet....

#17 ·
do it

AKA Monkeybutt said:
I'm actually thinking of getting a mtb single speed. I have no idea if I will like it so I want to keep the initial cost down. Anyone have any experience with the Motobecane mega cheap Outcast? http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/outcast29_08.htm
MB, go for it, you'll most likely love SS and have one more bike in your quiver,,,,,it's addiciting. 26" or 29'er? Not sure where you do most of your riding but having a SS option will also make your "local/usual rides" brand new again without gears, full suspension etc,,,,,and it will improve your climbing and bike skills. The majority of my AZ riding is in the Coco and Kaibab Forests and roads trips down to Sedona in the Winter months, almost 23 years,,,,,,,put together my first real mtb SS in 98 and was hooked, my geared bikes don't see much action and my SS stable is now at 7 bikes, including a F/S Kona A. :thumbsup:

#18 ·
AKA Monkeybutt said:
I'm actually thinking of getting a mtb single speed. I have no idea if I will like it so I want to keep the initial cost down. Anyone have any experience with the Motobecane mega cheap Outcast? http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/outcast29_08.htm
That's so funny...I was looking at the same bike.

The only thing that turned me off was the lack of disc mounts. But my Fat Chance has vee's and they work just fine.

The Redline is pretty sweet though.

#19 ·
AKA Monkeybutt said:
avoid it IMO. The bike is essentially set up as a singlespeed mountain bike style city commuter. It generally comes with huge gearing, something like 42x17 and as mentioned already is not disc compatible although that shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Best way to sample the SS waters is to convert an existing hardtail with a tensioner and a cog. Simple and easy to do on a bike you are comfortable on and it makes an easy comparison. Generally all you need to do is strip the gears off, add the tensioner and the cog and some spacers, set your chain line correctly and shorten your chain. Then go riding.

If you, as most do, have some spare parts but no hardtail you can pick up a used SS specific frame too and go from their. I still have a 1996 independent fabrications frame I converted in the late 1990's to SS that I ride from time to time.

#20 ·
rockcrusher said:
avoid it IMO. The bike is essentially set up as a singlespeed mountain bike style city commuter. It generally comes with huge gearing, something like 42x17 and as mentioned already is not disc compatible although that shouldn't be a deal breaker.
Comes with a 33T chainring as well (pictured with the 42T).

I dunno...aside from the stigma of that brand and that bike company, I think its a nice rig for the price.

#22 ·
KavuRider said:
Comes with a 33T chainring as well (pictured with the 42T).

I dunno...aside from the stigma of that brand and that bike company, I think its a nice rig for the price.
Consider me corrected and impressed some as it initially only came with the 42 and many people gripped that they then need to spend $30-50 on a new chainring after the fact. Bikes Direct must have heard the complaint and made the change.

So this is really a fantastically cheap way to test the SS waters and the frame is as good as any discount overseas frame you can get so as you break parts because you become addicted to the SS experience of silent running and purity of effort you can upgrade to better and better components.

#23 ·
#24 ·
how old is old?

liteandfast said:
Jeff, I have a new Eno eccentic hub on a Mavic 26 inch rim with tire if you want to convert one of your regular bikes. Its just sitting around collecting dust. I tired SS and went back to geared, Im old though....
liteandfast, when does old become too old? Maybe I'm already there! IMO, SS keeps you "younger" in mind and body and it's just one more way to get out and enjoy the trails
:thumbsup:

#25 · (Edited)
dgangi said:

Thx...Doug
Doug, you've completely missed the entire appeal of single speeds: simplisity. Less parts means less parts to replace.

Sure, one can go crazy on "high end" parts, to save a couple pounds here or there, and if you're really that obsessed with weight and "bling" that's fine. My ride weighs in at 28 lbs, and yet I can ride it most any where. And it's steel, and is stiff as a rock. I have swapped out a couple things--hydrobrakes, handlebar, EBB, and shock--and it's still sub $1000 when all is said and done. And I would not trade it for anything.

#26 ·
dgangi said:
making the final bike a tank...some weighing in at 30 pounds or more (my friends Redline was like 31).
30 lbs is a tank for a do-it-all HT?

We have different view on heavy...

Over 30:

Well over 30:

;)

Oh yeah - and proof to all that I've tried the 29'er thing -

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.