Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Running and riding

1K views 34 replies 24 participants last post by  DeadlyStryker 
#1 ·
Does anyone run in addition to riding? (And no I'm not talking about running from the cops lol) Starting a new job, and it getting cold and dark during the winter season, I found it difficult to get sufficient riding time in on weekdays. So I resorted to running to keep my cardio up. I've only been running for about a month, FYI. I know it works way different muscle groups, but what experiences has anyone else had, either positive or negative?

#3 ·
seanzombie1336 said:
XC forum is out the door.
I happen to ride downhill when the snow melts up in the mountains. And a large majority of pro DHers ride road/rollers to keep their cardio up. I don't have the money for a road bike/XC bike bc it all goes towards my DH. I asked those with experience in both running and riding to comment, so please see your way "out the door." Thanks.

#8 ·
Running will help you enormously whether you ride xc or dh or fr or whatever the heck else you want to call riding a bike.

Yes, running will work a different series of muscles, but there is overlap. Moreover, any way to remain fit is a good thing come spring time. And, in the event of a crash your body will likely be able to better resist injury due to being stronger and fitter.

Where I've personally experienced the biggest benefit is about mid-day when all my riding buddies start to cry about how badly they hurt...then I put the hurt on and push for another trip to the top.

I wouldn't necessarily say that running is "it" for everyone. I've tried forcing myself to get into these routines in the past and it always failed in short order. Though, for the last year + I've been running with rocks. Lifting weights with rocks. Doing pushups in the mud. Rain or shine I'm out there with my dog. It's been fantastic for me.

Just ask yourself: What Would Rocky Do?

#11 ·
seanzombie1336 said:
I didn't say you rode an XC bike. I didn't say you didn't downhill.

The majority of those that ride and run are XC riders, you'll get more responses there.

The majority of those that post in the DH forum are not DH pros.
Part of me wants to impale you in the testicles with a rusty K-bar. Yet another person who puts on the impression that if you ride DH you are not worried about physical fitness. The truth of the matter is the FAST downhill riders/racers DO ride and run. Also they probably ride XC. Show me someone out of shape and fast on a downhill course and I'll show you somebody with slow friends or no competition. My advice is run till your heart is content. You WILL be a faster and better rider. Period.

#15 ·
Alot of Downhillers ride road in the offseason to keep in shape. I mean, look at a few weeks ago when Rachel Atherton got hit by a car while doing a road ride with her brothers.

Back to the original topic. I ride downhill and urban but I do run to keep in good cardiovascular shape. The biggest problem for me with running/biking is posture. When im riding downhill or whatever, Im all over the bike and postions because trails arent just straight lines. This meaning, i move all body parts around and not in an orderly fashion. When running, you want to be upright and straight, moving your legs and arms simultaneously. I mean, when biking, your arms and legs arent in sync. When running they are. Its just difficult to go between the two sports and be able to do both perfectly if you do each often.

#16 ·
I've started running just because I have less and less daylight after work and it seems like if I don't run and only ride I only get exercise once or twice a week which isn't enough. It hurts my knees but has been hurting my legs less as I gain strength. I only run once or twice a week at most but as I get faster and stronger it actually becomes more fun.

#17 ·
From my limited experience when I was younger and road riding and then playing sport like rugby etc at school, the only issue I became aware of was hamstrings. Riding can shorten you hamstrings due to limited extension of your legs when in the saddle. Running tends to stretch the legs out alot. So running can be a good supliment to improving unused muscles but I recommend stretching. I think my theory was proven last year when my brother in law did a 25 km ride before athletics practice, ended up with radical cramps in the hamstrings. DH has a lot to do with sprinting so look at doing stairs or up hill trails with big rocks etc. You could also look at a warm up run of what ever you comfortable with then find a nice set of stairs or a solid short hill. Hit the stairs or hill hard then easy down to recovery, heart rate will still be up, and repeat as much as you can. Target for say 5 laps and then build up from there. Finish with a warm down run. That will give you rediculous strength in the toothpicks and your heart and lungs will breeze through the DH coarse come summer. To create fitness it is ideal to get your heart rate up and sustain for the duration of your work out the longer you do it the fitter you are, so its not really of much benefit to go for a stroll if your are looking for cardio fitness.Keep stretching and you will survive more injuries and strengthen your tendons and ligaments. Everyone hates stretching including me but it is the source man!

#18 ·
I just started running on the side because the bad weather has me on lock-down for mid-week riding.

I only do 2-3 miles, but it's good. I also use an elliptical. That REALLY helps. It's a similar motion to riding a bike (circular), and you can set the resistance really high. I've found once or twice a week, 30-60 minute on the elliptical with a high resistance does wonders.

#20 ·
I would say that running will help tons with downhill. But as someone else said, focus on more sprints and stairs. Also, if you are restricted due to winter, you could try doing some plyometrics to keep your leg strength up, and will also build your endurance really quickly. I have been hittin up sprints and plyo's tons the last couple of months because I wanna be able to pedal anywhere I can get a crank or two in on the downhill runs. I think its funny also, that people say, why are you runnin, or doing plyo's or riding xc if you like downhill? Nothing better than coming out of a tech section and puttin the hammer down on lazy asses!!

#23 ·
I ride DH and run, along with swim when I can, or go for a all mtn ride. Mainly dh.

I am aiming for 7mile a run this week, for four days. Running has helped with my cardio while biking for sure but it hasn't helped build up my pedal muscles. I have a weekly group gym class at IFP with bikerbert in los gatos that has really helped me with strength and stamina while riding on the weekends.

I ride my dh bike on the long pedals up and keep up with the all mtn crew pretty well. that being on a 38T front and 22T rear.

Running, core work, and swimming, weights, all have helped me improve my riding. Mainly because I can ride longer and stronger. It helps in the bed too. :p

#26 ·
mtnbiker0755 said:
Yeah, I started out running like 3 miles, 3 times a week. Now im up to 4-5 mile three times a week. I also go to an indoor climbing gym. When I run, I always end it with a 1/4 mile sprint up like a 15-20% grade.
Make sure after that sprint you are cooling down, jog for another 5-10 minutes, or walk even. If you just stop all together it can have some pretty bad results. It keeps your circulation going i.e. you won't get light-headed or potentially go into shock. It also keeps you healthier and has some added benefits for your muscles/joints.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.