Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Off to the Alps! Build Questions.......!

788 views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Franz 
#1 ·
Looking for some long travel fork and big brake advice having never bought any before.

Off to the French Alps this summer for my first experience of some 'real mountain' downhilling. Having only ever ridden in GB (everything is relatively tame and flat compared to what I'll be doing!) I need some help.

Got myself a Giant Faith 1 frame for a bargain price which I'm currently building and I need some advice on forks and brakes.

I will be buying 2nd hand but I have the debate of single crown vs double crown also amount of travel I should be buying (Giant faith has 8" out back).

Then I need some affordable stoppers!

Thank you in advance for your advice!

#2 ·
I went last year for the first time, on my Heckler 150mm up back 160mm Lyric up front, for riding all the trails it was great, on the DH trails there where times I wanted more travel and a slacker bike, if your doing the DH trails only I would go 200mm double crown, if your going to ride everything then maybe a 180mm single , there are some really gnarly tracks with big roots and stutter bumbs, rocks and ever so fast, so 8" rotors front and back , I ran Avid5 codes with 7" rotors they got too hot at times, its a real blast, I would have liked two bikes a DH rig and my Heckler.
I had a guide for a couple of days and he recommended 2.5 minions 2ply to cope with the rock sections, I had 2.35's and had no problems, but a DH rig you will take a different line, I tried to keep the smoother lines, where the guys on DH rigs just flew through everything.
I've never run out of travel in the UK but over in the Alps I bottomed out alot.
Oh and plenty of body armour :) medical bills are expensive.

I'm saving to go back next year :)

#3 ·
I have the luxury of taking 2 bikes as we're driving. I'm taking the Iron Horse for XC/All mountain duties then the Giant Faith for DH and FR!

Got a full face and full body armour suit. Had too many crashes of late and I don't want to run my holiday!

I'm looking at 2nd hand boxxers and 888's. I think they may be the best as I'll be using the faigth for DH purposes only!

Do you think the codes would have handled it if you'd had 8" rotors!?

#4 ·
once the new boxxers hit the market later this spring, the '09's will go cheap so a used team should be a dime a dozen and a very good choice with mostly solid dependability. im told the '06 888 is also rock solid but tougher to find and heavy in comparison. stay awat from single crowns on a 8" faith as ya wont find the travel or a2c to match it and give up stifness.

codes should work but id go 180/203 to avoid r brake lockup. heavy but plenty of power without much fade id think.

sounds like a blast! enjoy.

#5 ·
Thanks for the advice! I didn't really want to put a single crown on the faith I just wanted to see what others thought!

As I will be only really using it for downhill, I'm not much of a hucker/freerider so double crowns will be the best plus I can get 200mm travel :)

I like the look of the codes so they will probably be my choice. I will be steering well clear of hayes from now on from past experience!

My only worry is maintenence. Speaking to fellow riders and reading reviews avid brakes seem to need a fair bit of maintenence?!!?

I like the look of the new saints anyone had experience?

#6 ·
From what I've been told, the Code 5's have less issues than the Codes and they'll do your wallet less damage. Take spare pads with you!

As far as the fork goes, unless you're really pushed for the cash, don't be tempted to go for some of the lower spec versions. I found that my 66 RCV's couldn't cope with the speed of the hits in the Pyrenese (similar terrain in many ways). I don't know about the low end boxxers but the 888 RCV's run the same internals as the 66's. There seems to be a steady stream of 06/07 888 RC2X's appearing on eBay in the UK at the moment.

Where are you heading for?

#7 ·
I'm off to Les Gets/Morzine.

Can't wait its gonna be awesome, there's 8 of us going and we've got a sweet chalet to stay in!

Just have to save all my pennies to get the bike built in time and finish paying for the holiday!!!

#8 ·
The Orange Prophet said:
From what I've been told, the Code 5's have less issues than the Codes and they'll do your wallet less damage. Take spare pads with you!
Code5s are a lot of power for the $$$.

#9 ·
8" front/rear and 2.5 or even 2.7 2plys, super tacky up front. Gear that looks overkill in the basement will be just right in the alps when you're staring down 4000 vertical feet of gnarly trail. Again and again. Have fun in LesGets, love riding there, just don't bring a knife...

#11 ·
hecticj said:
I have the luxury of taking 2 bikes as we're driving. I'm taking the Iron Horse for XC/All mountain duties then the Giant Faith for DH and FR!

Got a full face and full body armour suit. Had too many crashes of late and I don't want to run my holiday!

I'm looking at 2nd hand boxxers and 888's. I think they may be the best as I'll be using the faigth for DH purposes only!

Do you think the codes would have handled it if you'd had 8" rotors!?
Yes my friend had 8" rotors and he had no problems, if you have two bikes , then double crown 200mm travel will be awesome, I was in Les Gets and Morzine, some mind blowing trails, the Code 5's are what I had far less trouble than the standard code, and plenty powerful, I've just been building a bike for the Alps , hopefully will get to take it next year,

Mongoose Black Diamond, Boxxers Rides, DHX-3 coil tweaked by TF Tune, Codes 8" front & 7" rear, I have a spare 8" disc and adapter to go on if need be, 20mm Hope ProII front hub with Mavic 729's, rear is Mongoose 150mm hub with Mavic 729 and 12mm maxle,
Funn Direct mount stem, Easton EA70 bars, Thomson seat post, E-13DRS on saint cranks, XT short mech, XT 32-11 Cassette, xtr chain, sdg bel air saddle,DX flats, 2.5 Nevegals or 2.5 super tacky minions, front travel is 178mm rear is 190mm weighs in around 42lb

you will love the Alps, get a guide if you can for a couple of rides, lots of secret of the map trails, and the Chevan DH trail is mind blowing:thumbsup:

#12 ·
Sounds like a nice build!

Think I'm going towards 08/09 boxxers and code 5's!

We have a guide for our first 3 days so we should get to see most of the good trails!

#13 ·
Les Gets/Morzine = AWESOME.

Defintely go dual-crown based on your description of how you will be riding (and based on the bike). There's lots of fast and steep DH to be had there, with some very nice bermed/jump runs as well....speed is everywhere, as are roots and brake bumps, so you'll appreciate the extra stiffness of the dual-crown.

Codes are defintely a good bet, I run the regular Codes (08), they are troublefree in my experience, lots of power, 8 up front and 7 in the back give the perfect balance IMO. Code 5 sounds like a great brake for not too much $$$...and plenty of good bike shops there that carry spares just in case.

#14 ·
I'd use some of the old 888's- last ones before they went oriental. Fit and forget, great for out there.

As for stoppers, you may get away with using lesser brakes, but i've been to Morzine/Les Gets a few times and i've been most impressed with Magura Gustavs. These give you one finger power at all times and give total confidence without any hand pump or aching fingers. They have big pads you won't have to change every couple of days and they can survive crashes no problem.

Brakes are one item you need to get right for out there, as the wrong ones can seriously spoil your fun, and the Gustavs are the best imo.

You'll love it out there, i know i do! If you can, do the Passport event. It's a great day out, although there is a bit of pedalling so i'd use your smaller bike.

#15 ·
Brakes have been my biggest worry. I've had too many bad experiences of rubbish brakes just downhilling in the UK. The Alps is a different matter!!!

I've been running Magura Louise BAT's on my all mountain bike and love those but don't think i can find the £££ for Gustavs! They're uber expensive in the UK even on Ebay!

Does no-one rate shimano saints?

decisions decisions!

I've also been advised take a spare shock with me????? or is that just scare mongering?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.