Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

How on Earth...33lb Session 88?

3K views 47 replies 27 participants last post by  leyjonathan 
#1 ·
To start off, no pics. Sorry for the dissapointment.

I was chillin at my lbs today working on my Demo, Bs'ing, the usual. One of he guys there claimed that he had seen and read about a 33 pound Session 88 DH. Had a F 40, saint, 823s, etc. I just looked up a picture of the stock on Trek's site and it looks like that bike would be about 39ish pounds. My question is, does this mythical 33lb 88 exsist and how did they manage to shave off ~6lbs?

#4 ·
mtb4life45 said:
if Turner used the same technology as Trek people would be ALL OVER IT. They're good bikes, my manager said it's better than his v10.
You mean cut up a fame so as to be able to install (still)incorrect cranks, put lightweight XC rims and single ply tires on a DH bike.....

I dont think Turner is stupid enough to build something like that any time soon.

the only tech going on there is cutting corners, giving up functionality in trade for internet braging..

#5 · (Edited)
snickerin here.

i havent touched a session so im not aware of the crank issue. school me please.
edit: nevermind. i pulled my head out and saw the link. whats this new trend of cuttin b/bkts off? and dusters????? thats no dh bike. i wonder if they emptied the fork like another co used to do.

look, i dig trek as a quality production bike pretty much accross the line but to compare that level of tech (and overall quality) to turners or any other boutique brand/model worth its salt, is kinda uninformed. is that yer managers opinion or yer own? a better ride than a v-10? from the stories ive heard.... maybe in the long term anyway.

#6 ·
davep said:
You mean cut up a fame so as to be able to install (still)incorrect cranks, put lightweight XC rims and single ply tires on a DH bike.....

I dont think Turner is stupid enough to build something like that any time soon.

the only tech going on there is cutting corners, giving up functionality in trade for internet braging..
Ah, the voice of reason...

#7 ·
The session has a DH standard 83mm bb and 150mm rear end. This gives and requires a 55(ish) mm chainline.

For that build, they cut 10mm off of the bb (so the other post says) to fit a set of XT cranks (only avail for 73mm bb) . Not only do XTs not hold up super well for DH (pedals tear out of the aluminum threads when bashing pedals), but they have a 50mm chainline. They could have used a set ot XT 771 tourning cranks to fit the bb without cutting, but they would still have the same other issues (durability and chainline)

and....

Those wheels would not last a single run on a W/C DH course....

#10 ·
Are these new breeds of race bikes for racers only? One season wonders and then onto fleabay? I have read similar concerns of strength and durability with the Socom. Maybe these machines are not for all of us mere mortals who put down our hard earned cash and expect something that not only performs but lasts. I wood never need/see the benefits of something like a session nor wood I be able to ride it like it was meant to be riden.
Now if I was racing and was a rider of some reasonable ability and felt the likes of these bikes could be of some benefit then maybe I wood consider it. I like to read about these moves in technology but I will keep my hard earned cash under my matress and when I feel I need to spend a little I will treat myself to a new set o wheels.

#11 ·
i suspect this is true of some dh bikes, just like any other bike/part/etc on a real life pro level. others last several seasons under advanced expert and semi pros with minimal to no non standard maintenance and those are the guys payin for all their own stuff. guys like the folks postin on this site. makes sense to pay way more attention to them than what sam hill and lance armstrong ride if ya ask me.

a well researched and carefully chosen used dh bike can be had/built fairly cheap. im talkin a real dh bike, not a modded xc/am/trailbike pos.

#14 ·
I don't think its a bad idea making paper thin frames and then telling people they will need to replace them every year or two because people will still buy them and then get a new one every year.
now i would never do this,
something like a intense m6 (or evo), iron horse sunday, santa cruz V -10, or anything else would be a better investment IMO.
or in my case a Canfield Jedi

#15 ·
Nice...my LBS is actually Snitgers, Bradys run park is literally my backyard, so they are less than a 2 miles from my house. Maybe we can hook-up at 7 springs some time for some light DH. I also race for team chainsmoke......if you ever need a lift down the snowshoe, let me know.

#17 ·
There's two guys at the shop on with nice 88's

A sub 37lb medium build has been pretty easy. With a painted frame too.

Gravity light cranks, Totem solo air, rockshox vivid w/ steel spring, Deity D30/ fantom stem Code brakes, deetrak wheels, Saint RD/shifter, Schwalbe muddy Mary 2.5f 2.35r Freeride casing

Tried to fit a Roco WC air shock on the back, but the schrader valve hit the links.

The other guy as a small frame, Ti spring, & a fairly similar build (XO no saint) and is almost below 35.

I think the 88's are going going to dent like crazy.

#19 ·
yea thats stupid for trek to void the warrantly after 3 years i agree. I guess they figure the amount of dough it costs to make those frames and the abuse they take, 3 years seems fair. Trek does offer crash replacements and stuff. I work at a trek, sc, ellsworth, fisher shop and trek has had great customer service. I'm sure if you break your session after 3 years, they'll sell one to you at very cheap.

#20 ·
jut8 said:
The only thing that concerns me about the sessions it that Trek offers a lifetime warranty on the frames.......except for on the session, they only offer 3 years, i just dont understand that.
The frame tubes are less than paper thin. I'm predicting a wave of complaints about how easy the frames dent as soon as shuttling/bikepark season starts.

I know we're overcompensating after years of super-heavy 50lb+ bikes but come on people. A solid reliable DH bike's gotta weigh near 40lbs for most riders, lighter if you're super-smooth. A sunday-only race bike might get down to 36 with an understanding and acceptance of the compromises of that light weight.

If riders drive the market to produce these ultra-light DH bikes they should be prepared to HTFU when the bikes dent easily and fail within a season. I mean, how do you think they're achieving these huge weight savings?

#21 ·
Ha I'll put money down that my 03 M1 will still be alive and kickin longer than that bike! That's a dope bike for sure! But I still don't get why people spend insane amounts of money to shave off "grams." I understand it on a pro scale, but for average riders it just doesn't make sense.

#22 ·
dh_drew said:
Ha I'll put money down that my 03 M1 will still be alive and kickin longer than that bike! That's a dope bike for sure! But I still don't get why people spend insane amounts of money to shave off "grams." I understand it on a pro scale, but for average riders it just doesn't make sense.
Actually, none of the top pro's bikes are anywhere near that. Gee's bike weighs somewhere around 42, Sams is probably in the upper 38's, etc. Bikes that weight break. Nobody cheers for you when you break your wheels half way down and lose the race, everybody is cheering the winner. Those 1-2 lbs don't make the difference on the course, they want reliability not important grams.

It comes down to what trails you ride. Some of the trails I ride/see I'd be stoked to have a 32-33lb 8 inch travel DH geometry bike. Ever see pacifica? I would hardly consider it a full DH bike, simply because its 8x8 and has DH geometry, I'd consider it much like a long travel SS, reignX, 7point, etc.

#23 ·
dh_drew said:
the MSRP of the Trek makes Intense frames look reasonable.

If I had 6k to throw around I'm getting another Intense.:thumbsup:

#26 ·
Also, I work at a Trek dealer and was a click away on multiple occations from ordering one. I just had a lot of trouble justifying the money for it. Maybe next year if they have any '08s left on closeout. And there aren't a lot of complaints/problems with the frame structurally.

And as for the sub 33lb 88... That's silly. That's basically a 8 inch travel all mountain bike. The components are NOT downhill race speed friendly at all. I mean the Rhythm wheelset is decent, but it's an all mountain wheelset. I have them on my Remedy and they're holding up pretty well, but I wouldnt put them on my downhill bike.

I'd say 38 lbs is about the perfect weight for a downhill bike. Any lighter than that and it'd start to get kinda squirly at high speeds, I feel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.