Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Demo as a race bike

742 views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Ithnu 
#1 ·
so i work at a shop and can get a killer deal on a 08 demo 7 I. i would rather get something else for a race bike, such as a session 88 on intense, but it's such a good deal i might have to do it. what im thinking is to take the bumper outa the shock so it's closer to 8 inches of travel, get a boxxer up front, and then throw on my 340 hubs/823 wheelset, lg1, juicy 7's, x9 parts, tubless tires, and all the other little things. so what do you all think? the other thing is the weight; it's hard to say but does that sound like a 38 pound bike? im a light rider, 140, so the lighter the better.

#3 ·
Yeah......Sam is racing a demo, the one he is on right now has very similar geo to the stock demo 7, it wont hold you back thats for sure. I had an 07 Demo 7 1, ( i love the green by the way!) i took the spacer out, threw a fox 40 on the front, and raced it for a season, it was blast, now i am on a demo 8 II, but next season i think i might go back to the 7.....or possibly buy the new DH bike specialized is coming out with.

#12 ·
Dynamatt said:
Session 88 is a sexy bike but costs WAY too much money.. Demo's are over rated and the center mass of the bike is behind your feet about 6 inches.. But thats just my opinion
your obviousy a fool. Try picking up a demo by the crossmember by the down tube and seat tube. It falls forward. Its a pretty balanced bike, im sure they thought about that.

#15 ·
Dynamatt said:
Session 88 is a sexy bike but costs WAY too much money.. Demo's are over rated and the center mass of the bike is behind your feet about 6 inches.. But thats just my opinion
It's actually an extremely well balanced bike. The fact that the seat stays and chain stays are so short contribute to that as well. It's the best dh bike ive ridden for taking corners/burms at a high speed.

#16 ·
I swapped bikes with my friends one day at Sol Vista, we each took 2-3 runs on

2008 Demo 8 with a Fox 40
2008 M6 with a Boxxer WC
2006 Giant Faith with a Kowa (mine)
2008 303 with a Fox 40

The M6 was absolutely the fastest when you got it out on the high speed sections. As soon as I started pedaling I thought "this thing is FAST". And the Yeti 303 went through rock gardens the best. Everyone agreed with that.

The next fastest was a bit of an opinion, two guys said the Yeti, 2 said the Demo 8 (including me). I thought it didn't pedal as well as the others (even the Faith) but it was very comfortable at high speeds <--kinda the point of a DH bike right?

Anyway, a Demo makes a great DH bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.