Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Mountain, Road or Tour Bike??

544 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  M_S 
#1 ·
I wish to know what bike is suitable for a smooth tarmac road but very steep uphill slope for 3miles?

Is there any bike that is more efficient than a mountain bike for this type of condition? I'm fine with light gears on Hardtail MTB but feeling inefficient and slow. Perhaps someone can recommend some good gear ratio setup?

#3 ·
The bad boy is a good suggestion...How rough is the uphill slope? Sounds like you may be able to get away with no suspension, but if you ever want to hit any real trails the tourers or road bikes won't really cut it.

There are certainly types of bikes out there that will outperform a mountain bike, in the conditions that you mentioned. But, is that realistically all you are going to ride? No trails?

#4 ·
Thanks. i have spotted the cannondale which is sort like a cyclocross bike. :eek: That's what i thought that something else should work better specifically for this road. Somehow this type of bike is not well known in South E Asia. The gear setup 26T for Chainring and 32T for rear cog should feel much better combination gear than the standard mountain bike setup.

I've got a hardtail and a 4" sus XC mountain bike as well. I will be hitting the trail with them but got to get another cyclocross type of bike to tackle the tar road to the hilltop.

Happy riding!:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.