Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

mavic 729s, overkill for me?

752 views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  XSL_WiLL 
#1 ·
i want wider rims for my demo 7 since im running 2.5 wide tires now...

im 185 lbs... and i do only free ride and DH, lots of rock gardens and jumps... but not big jumps, and i wont be doing huge drops or huge hucks... just fast DH and freeride and easy to intermediate size jumps...

im thinking of picking up the 729s, but since im fairly light weight and dont go huge, should i pick up some lighter rims instead??

#5 ·
if yer goal is to up the ante in a serious way, thats good advice. otherwise its overkill and the beginnins of a overly heavy bike. i did that once and it wasnt all that fun to ride. i found myself NOT tryin things i later did on a bike almost 8 lbs lighter. theres alot to be said for a light, flickable bike that can still handle what ya dish out. theres always room for a burley wheelset down the road and ya can use these for more mellow days.

#6 ·
yeah im def trying to avoid the bike being overly heavy... the demo is already a heavy bike, although it doesnt "feel" heavy when pointed down and its very easy to bunny hop and catch air with... i dont want to lose that aspect of it...

but the stock wheels on it now seem way too narrow for the 2.5" nevegals im running... so i wanted something wider.. no wider than 31mm though... any other rims i should be considering???

#7 ·
I would hardly call the 729s overly heavy at 675g. They are very strong rims.

The 721s are not as wide with a 21mm internal width. But they are still durable.

The 823s will be stronger. On paper they seem much heavier, but the difference isn't much when you take into account that they can be run tubeless (and without a strip). Tubeless offers lots of advantages.

Doesn't the Demo have the 30mm external width DT Swiss rims? They aren't exactly narrow... they'll do just fine for 2.5s... The 721 probably won't be any wider (maybe even smaller). The 729 will be wider. The MTX comes in a 33.5mm width and weighs 660g. The Alex Supra D is 32mm and weighs 588g. It is a very strong rim.

Keep in mind that a good wheel build and maintenance is critical to any wheel.

#8 ·
You should measure the rims you're on now so we know...

FYI, Mavic uses a numbering system to denote the level and width of the rim. I.E. the 823 is a level 8 meaning top of the line tubeless, and the 23 is the measurement in millimeters between the walls of the rim where the tire sits. The rim is actually almost 30mm when measured on the outside...

I feel my 823's are plenty wide and since they're a touch narrower than others, it makes the tire profile a little better for the side lugs to get more bite IMO. (I'm running a UST Highroller/Minion combo. )

Consequently a 721 probably wouldn't be a bad choice to save a few grams.

#9 ·
i didnt know that. thanx.

i think my 721's measured 28 or 29 mm wide. about 2 mm less than the rhyno lite xl's if i recall. i get the whole super wide rim thing but im kinda with you. a round tire profile offers the dirt a sharper cornerin knob from more accute angles and less drag on the fast bits compared to a big, wide, therefore flatter system. it works for a guy my size anyway.

#10 ·
XSL_WiLL said:
I would hardly call the 729s overly heavy at 675g. They are very strong rims.

The 721s are not as wide with a 21mm internal width. But they are still durable.

The 823s will be stronger. On paper they seem much heavier, but the difference isn't much when you take into account that they can be run tubeless (and without a strip). Tubeless offers lots of advantages.

Doesn't the Demo have the 30mm external width DT Swiss rims? They aren't exactly narrow... they'll do just fine for 2.5s... The 721 probably won't be any wider (maybe even smaller). The 729 will be wider. The MTX comes in a 33.5mm width and weighs 660g. The Alex Supra D is 32mm and weighs 588g. It is a very strong rim.

Keep in mind that a good wheel build and maintenance is critical to any wheel.
true to rim builder.......if you want 729's I would just go tubeless with 823's

#12 ·
cactuscorn said:
i didnt know that. thanx.

i think my 721's measured 28 or 29 mm wide. about 2 mm less than the rhyno lite xl's if i recall. i get the whole super wide rim thing but im kinda with you. a round tire profile offers the dirt a sharper cornerin knob from more accute angles and less drag on the fast bits compared to a big, wide, therefore flatter system. it works for a guy my size anyway.
Rhynolite XLs are no wider than 30mm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.