Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Bottom Bracket Help!!??

669 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  pipes10 
#1 ·
Last week I took my cranks off and taped my bottom bracket threads so that it would stop creaking when I peddled. Question is, there was a little (rubber or plastic) seal on one side of the bottom bracket, and only on one side! I didnt pay attention when I took it off to see which side that seal goes on. Ever since I redid all of this, when I peddle, it feels kinda stiff, and the cranks dont spin as freely as they did. Any idea which side that seal goes on?!?! Thx!

Its an 09 Demo 8, Truvativ Howitzer XR, oversize sealed outboard cartridge bearing, 73mm shell, Husselfelt cranks

#6 ·
What kind of BB are you using?

If it's Shimano, the dust shield between each side is probably smashed and causing the cranks to bind. Most of the time you need the proper spacing between BB shells for the shield unless you aren't running it. If it's not in there, the spacer's probably supposed to be on the drive side to keep your chainrings from rubbing the frame/tensioner...

#7 ·
i replied to this in the demo thread but may as well post it here as well (others have mentioned the same thing though)

the only thing u should have on one side only is a spacer but that's a hard plastic/aluminum ring....that will go on the drive side (right)...but, looks like you're talking about the integrated crankstop/seal since u are saying they are rubber...u should have one on each side....

http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/...itzer-e-r0.pdf

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.