Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

backpack/hydration pack for husband's bday

1K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  NorKal 
#1 ·
My husband's birthday is coming up and I wanted to get him a new riding pack. Right now he has a camelbak muel, but it is a little too small. He never uses the reservoir; he just throws a couple water bottles in the pack, so it doesn't necessarily need to be a hydration pack. I am thinking probably something from dakine, but I'm open to any suggestions. I figured I should ask and see what other people are using and go from there.

A little info: he does mostly day rides on freeride and light downhill trails. He also likes to trail build and film, so he is often hauling gear with him. Also it should have room for his helmet.

Thanks for looking, and hope you can help me out, I only have a couple weeks to pick something up.

#2 ·
I've been using a Dakine Nomad since it came out. It's still holding up nice, but the newer model is better IMO. It's more polished and has a camera pocket that's easy to get to. It sounds like either this one or the Apex, but I don't use all the space in my Nomad most of the time.

I've strapped a small army shovel, a saw, pads, and my helmet on a few rides and it holds it all if you secure everything just right.

#6 ·
Camelbak Havoc gets my vote. Fantastic quality, just the right size, room for lots of stuff including full face helmet of course. As a bonus, the bladder system that comes with it is really the best there is, IMO (OK, I know you said he doesn't use one, but he might start when he sees how well this one works).

BTW do you give classes teaching other wifes how they should treat their husbands when it comes to picking out birthday gifts??? Please enroll mine, if you do... :D

#7 ·
Yet another vote for the Dakine Nomad. It's cheap, comes with a nalgene bladder (better than camelback me thinks), holds my gear fine, and is very comfortable to wear. It also has a slim profile which makes it look good when youre zooming down the mountain :thumbsup:

#8 ·
pro said:
Yet another vote for the Dakine Nomad. It's cheap, comes with a nalgene bladder (better than camelback me thinks), holds my gear fine, and is very comfortable to wear. It also has a slim profile which makes it look good when youre zooming down the mountain :thumbsup:
My Camelbak Havoc also has a nalgene bladder....and a REALLY nice bite valve thing to go with it.... ;)

#10 ·
Thanks everyone. I think I will probably go with the Nomad, though I may check out the new Amp, it looks pretty sweet.
We are both riders, so both our gifts are almost always bike related, any excuse to buy more gear! I guess I just never thought anything else would be used as much or as exciting. I will check out backcountry, we have a link ot chainlove and steepandcheap on our desktop, but I didn't really look at backcountry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.