Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2008 Marzocchi 888 CPSC RECALL

2K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  k-stein 
G
#1 ·
#10 ·
Nick_M2R said:
hmm. i wondered how long it would take for something like this to appear for Marz 08, maybe now they'll listen..........
Prob not......
Big difference between a recall, and all the QC issues that they had last year. The vast majority of the QC issues did not potentially harm people.

Annoy them that their product was getting fixed more then it was being ridden yes, harm no. :D

#11 · (Edited)
huh!? crap.

Well, I was lucky enough to have one of the recalled 888rc3 forks. :rolleyes: T07D0730

Anybody else out there? Anyone know what will be done? Ill be taking it into the LBS this week. Hopefully whatever needs to be done, can be done swiftly. Ive got trips planned within the coming weeks.

#12 · (Edited)
Just got mine back

Hey All,
I got my fork back from Marz recall and took it to Plattekill this past weekend. First run, I notice the front brake is weak. 08 Codes should be throwing me OTB when mashed, but they would barely stop me. Then I notice oil coming out of the left side lower. The oil has run down the leg and contaminated the brake pads. It's hard to understand how they could open this thing up for the recall and not give it a once over. I hope it's just a seal!

#13 ·
Did you have to send it in to MARZ or could your LBS perform the fix? What exactly is being done to remedy the problem? is it just a matter of switching the damper? I talked to my LBS and they said i have one of 35 forks in Europe. I gots the golden ticket!

Does this mean that in about a 3 month time period Marzocchi produces around 150 888 rc3 and WC forks? Just curious.

#15 ·
swaussie said:
I wonder what the difference between those that have been recalled with the T07D07 code and mine with the T07D01 could be?
It's the pumping rod that is effected. It was a "soft" batch of pumping rods that can crush and keep the fork from re-extending after compression. 150 total in the US and 480 world wide is what I've been told.
As far as the work that needs to be done; The fork HAS TO come to Marzocchi USA and be inspected and the part replaced. The LBS's can not do the repair or inspection.

#17 ·
Chan said:
Hey All,
I got my fork back from Marz recall and took it to Plattekill this past weekend. First run, I notice the front brake is weak. 08 Codes should be throwing me OTB when mashed, but they would barely stop me. Then I notice oil coming out of the left side lower. The oil has run down the leg and contaminated the brake pads. It's hard to understand how they could open this thing up for the recall and not give it a once over. I hope it's just a seal!
Sweet! So one of the fine mechanics at Marz. USA performed this work for you? And they wonder why I don't trust them to touch my fork.

An example of their fine wrenching and diagnostic abilities: One day, Im just riding along, and I lose the rebound damping in my 06 66sl. I pop open the fork, and the biggest chunk of aluminum that can pass through one of the holes at the bottom of the damper cart exits said hole. Nothing brings back the rebound. Send the cart back to marz [they wanted the whole fork]; Gideon calls and says the cartridge is just fine, nothing wrong with it. They were ready to send it right back to me. I had to beg Mike to warranty me a new cartridge.
Fine crew you got there Tom.

#18 ·
Renegade said:
Sweet! So one of the fine mechanics at Marz. USA performed this work for you? And they wonder why I don't trust them to touch my fork.

An example of their fine wrenching and diagnostic abilities: One day, Im just riding along, and I lose the rebound damping in my 06 66sl. I pop open the fork, and the biggest chunk of aluminum that can pass through one of the holes at the bottom of the damper cart exits said hole. Nothing brings back the rebound. Send the cart back to marz [they wanted the whole fork]; Gideon calls and says the cartridge is just fine, nothing wrong with it. They were ready to send it right back to me. I had to beg Mike to warranty me a new cartridge.
Fine crew you got there Tom.
Sorry to hear about this stuff.... Maybe I will just go in to the tech office and turn them off and back on again to reboot their operating systems and see if it fixes the problem.

#22 ·
Jerk_Chicken said:
Careful renny. You might get something exceeding 5,000 characters in your inbox tonight.
Not a chance JC, between you and Renegade I know why forums like this were created. :thumbsup: (insert picture here of Rene and JC jumping on their personal world wide soap box)

Have a great day.

Back to the topic...Let us know if you have a fork that fits into the serial number range and we will take care of you as best as we can.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.