Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

GT sanction for 4x DS?

852 views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  leyjonathan 
#1 ·
So Im getting a sanction frameset soon and wondering if it would fair well in the 4x DS area, being that the US open this year will have GS (giant slalom) and I want to compete mainly for kicks, (I would be getting a DH rig again but last year at the open I ended up being air lifted to the hospital after having a seizure on the mountain and pissing myself) but do to the amount of rear travel and geometry will I just get spanked?

#3 · (Edited)
for gated races like 4x and DS its all about pedaling out of the gate. 6inches of travel might be a little too much squish. if you can lock out the rear, maybe...
but the sanction isnt meant for that kind of racing, doesnt mean you cant try. just be prepared to be burned by the guys on hardtails and 4inch FS frames.

if your real serious...go get a DJ frame and 100mm fork and youll be pretty competitive if youre in good shape. plus itll probably cost half as much as a Sanction

BUT, if this GS race is gonna be on the IndyCross course (which i think would be kinda lame compared to the DS races they had previous years)...ive ridden that on my 9inch DH bike fine. there isnt really much room to pedal since its berm after berm after berm.

G
#4 ·
It's possible. I remember seeing this kid named Neko Mullally destroy half the DS field on an 8 inch DH bike. Of course he's apparently Jesus on two wheels or something (at least on the east coast). :skep:

#5 ·
BUT said:
I'm pretty sure it is.. Again I wish I was getting into downhill (Thats why I'm getting a bike that I can ride at diablo, maybe not to the fullest but still ride some of the freeriding stuff, and one I can ride at the local trails) but I just want to get back into competition, and this way I can see if it could be something worthwhile getting into.

#6 ·
well, if your looking for one bike to do it all...im not sure the sanction will fit. it's not a downhill or freeride bike. just all mountain. sure you can try to do all with it, but its obviously not gonna excel every where. who knows...it might even suck in certain areas.

IMO, if i had to settle on one bike, i would get a good freeride/light downhill bike, and suffer with it on local trail rides. but thats me.

#7 ·
I see my sanction as a freeride, you know, freerides don't have to have coil shocks.

I got the magura wotan fork 36mm stanc. with 6 inch travel, and 2009 fox dhx air 5.0 xv with 6 inch travel,
2.35 ust barracudas on mavic 819's, 50mm stem and high rise 30inch bars.

yeah, my sanction is a freeride, wassaup yo?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.