Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Riding on NBL tracks

741 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  BH1 
#1 ·
I was interested in riding on the local bmx track since my bike is slopestlye type rig and I went to the track nand they told me NBL doesnt allow 26 inchers on the track. I explained that i was just interested in practice and not racing so then they told me no pertruding objects, in my case the rear derailler and shifters. I knew nothing of the rules so i had no ground to argue on. Whats the deal? I know people on pinkbike that ride bmx tracks. Is there anything I can say that'll get them to let me ride?

#3 · (Edited)
They are full of it. Cruiser class allowed 24" and 26" bikes. now this was as 94 rules when i stopped racing bmx and was on the bod for Hampton va bmx :madman:

UPDATE!!!!!

per 2009 rules chapter 5 cruiser class for 24" and greater wheels
chapter 6 lists open class can be ridden on a 20",24",or 26" wheel bike

so, they are full of it or don't know their own rules

And I saw people back in the day try 2-3 speed a 20", so the no derailler or shifter thing is just being a dick.

#4 ·
shakedown94 said:
They are full of it. Cruiser class allowed 24" and 26" bikes. now this was as 94 rules when i stopped racing bmx and was on the bod for Hampton va bmx :madman:

UPDATE!!!!!

per 2009 rules chapter 5 cruiser class for 24" and greater wheels
chapter 6 lists open class can be ridden on a 20",24",or 26" wheel bike

so, they are full of it or don't know their own rules

And I saw people back in the day try 2-3 speed a 20", so the no derailler or shifter thing is just being a dick.
fricking total suck

#6 ·
Nagaredama said:
Only reason why NBL exists is because of their relationship with the UCI.
UCI is now ABA. Apparently their contract was up or something. ABA is doing good things too. All UCI races will be televised on Universal HD now!

So whoever is telling you "no 26" w/ gears" is blowing smoke up your butt. You can even race a 26" at a national if you wanted so long as it has 3 or less gears. I see guys all the time at the track on 26" bikes with gears.

To race you will need to make it a 3 speed, but for practice it should not matter at all. Get out there and have fun! :thumbsup:

#9 ·
There are no specific rules in either rulebook concerning gears as far as I could find. The only "real" issue that could come up is use of the track by non NBL members. If it's a privately owned track, they probably get their insurance through NBL and thus will only cover NBL members. It's just about the only way these tracks can cover their asses if somebody were to get hurt.

#10 ·
gratefulbiker said:
There are no specific rules in either rulebook concerning gears as far as I could find. The only "real" issue that could come up is use of the track by non NBL members. If it's a privately owned track, they probably get their insurance through NBL and thus will only cover NBL members. It's just about the only way these tracks can cover their asses if somebody were to get hurt.
Good point. You will most likely have to shell out some $$ for a membership. An ABA year membership is $40 i think, so the NBL should be around that price.... then a few more bucks to practice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.