Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

My Tooys.

2K views 33 replies 16 participants last post by  cactuscorn 
#1 ·
Hey. I recently built up my hardtail and was really excited about it, so i decided to post a pic of it, and my two other bikes.

1. My Hardtail.
- Steel TIG welded by me during a UBI frame building class.
- Painted white, given to my girlfriend with a package of colored sharpies, drawn on, then clearcoated.
- 29.6 lbs.

2. 2008 Trek Remedy 7.
- Mostly stock except for e13 LG1, shorter stem, and wider handlebars.
- 32-ish lbs.

3. 2006 Iron Horse Yakuza Sohon Bucho.
- Marzocchi Super T fork (I don't like it)
- Marzocchi Roco WC Air rear shock (I like it a lot)
- Ultegra Der/Cassette
- e13 LG1
- Tripple wall Velocity rims.
- Techtro brakes (was a little sceptical but they actually stop surprisingly well.)
- 40-ish lbs.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
rollertoaster said:
Or works at a bike shop and got the remedy EP. Hey Danny, that Yakuza needs a real fork!

I like the hardtail, I've never seen that before
Ha Casey stop letting out all my secrets!!

And believe me, I know about the fork. Yesterday was Not the best day for my wrists. Boxxer Team?

Yeah I'm mad stoked on my hardtail. It's got slick tires on it and it's ready for Union. Or FDR (when it's warmer). Or Ray's.

And rep, yes I like the remedy very much. Only thing I'm not stoked on since I ride it as a shorter travel freeride bike rather than an AM bike is the rear shock. Pretty pretty lousy small bump compliance. The propedal is annoying. There's a + and - switch on it, and even in the - mode i can feel pretty much every single bump. It kinda feels like a hardtail with 6 inches of blowoff travel. That's sort of an exageration but you get the point.

#7 ·
rollertoaster said:
Or works at a bike shop and got the remedy EP. Hey Danny, that Yakuza needs a real fork!

I like the hardtail, I've never seen that before
Ha Casey stop letting out all my secrets!!

And believe me, I know about the fork. Yesterday was Not the best day for my wrists. Boxxer Team?

Yeah I'm mad stoked on my hardtail. It's got slick tires on it and it's ready for Union. Or FDR (when it's warmer). Or Ray's.

And rep, yes I like the remedy very much. Only thing I'm not stoked on since I ride it as a freeride bike rather than an AM bike is the rear shock. Pretty pretty lousy small bump compliance. The propedal is annoying. There's a + and - switch on it, and even in the - mode its pretty chattery in the back end. It kinda feels like a hardtail with 6 inches of blowoff travel. That's sort of an exageration but you get the point.

#14 ·
i nabbed a '07 super t rcv last year, used it in a dh race on a '07 rfx and was quite impressed given the travel and cost limitations. not sure what folks are upset about unless theyre runnin the older cart.

see if ya can borrow a rp23 for yer remedy. i think youll be surprised. hell, ep 1 and sell it at a profit if ya dont dig it but from what i know of the rocco air, id be surprised if ya didnt like the rp23 more, both stock or pushed. the rp2 isnt doin ya any favors. maybe a small air can might help. alot of the bigger guys over 190 are happy with this easy and cheap mod.

you guys and yer sharpie art are blowin me away! very cool, very original.

#16 ·
cookie144 said:
Just curious as to what size chainring you are using on the remedy...32?, 36?
It's a 34t.

And Yeah the super T... I dont know. Well When I bought it it had white lowers and it felt pretty decent. I got it from Jenson and it said '08 Super T and it was brand new. But then I came down sideways off a wallride and split the tire bridge in half. So when I called Marzocchi they said the fork was OEM only, which kinda confused me. But I got these silver lowers from them, and even now that I have the oil levels right there's just something sorta funny about it.

Well. Here, It's pretty sticky. And the bottom out is real harsh. It's an air fork so you'd think it'd ramp up pretty well but, it doesn't. It's way too stiff with any air in it, so I had to like suck air out to get it plush enough... now it bottoms harsh.

#20 ·
thats no lie. want another never mounted 2.7's? $10 each tire. how many ya want?

if ya crashed and broke the fork so it no longer works properly, i dont think its fair to then tell the world its now a pos. sounds like ya killed the damper so send it back or fix it yerself but dont bad mouth it due to yer own mistake. if ya used their oil level chart, dont. its way off. additionally, the super t was never a air fork except the oem models. try a coil mod and smile afterwards. be aware many of us find it wont offer enough sag till ya remove 1 spring and dump almost if not all the air preload. sounds wacky but it works. did the same on my 66rc and it turned both harsh forks with massive top out into rideable units.

yes, more macro shots of the ht please.

#21 ·
spxoo said:
working at a trek dealer is no reason to run those earl tires. and yeah sweet remedy what size did you get, how tall are you?
To tell you the truth I kind of like the tires. They're light and pretty tacky. I mean I haven't run that many different types of tires but these seem to be one of my favorites as of yet when I compare them to the weight/tred of other tires.

The Remedy is a Med. 17 inch. I'm 5'10.

Yeah I'll snap some closeups of the art on the HT and post them up later today/tonight some time.

#22 ·
cactuscorn said:
thats no lie. want another never mounted 2.7's? $10 each tire. how many ya want?

if ya crashed and broke the fork so it no longer works properly, i dont think its fair to then tell the world its now a pos. sounds like ya killed the damper so send it back or fix it yerself but dont bad mouth it due to yer own mistake. if ya used their oil level chart, dont. its way off. additionally, the super t was never a air fork except the oem models. try a coil mod and smile afterwards. be aware many of us find it wont offer enough sag till ya remove 1 spring and dump almost if not all the air preload. sounds wacky but it works. did the same on my 66rc and it turned both harsh forks with massive top out into rideable units.

yes, more macro shots of the ht please.
I never said it was a POS. I just said I wasnt stoked on it. It felt pretty decent before but I'd rather just get a Boxxer team for it and shave off a full lb and have a new fork under warrenty, etc with more adjustability.

#23 ·
slothoncanvas said:
To tell you the truth I kind of like the tires. They're light and pretty tacky. I mean I haven't run that many different types of tires but these seem to be one of my favorites as of yet when I compare them to the weight/tred of other tires.

where do you live/ride. I feared for my life (and the $6,000 bike I was on) when I demoed a 88 in some wet conditions with those tires on there.

but the bike did ride money down lower on the hill in the dry hardpack.

#24 ·
cool. its just that ya opened with how ya didnt like the for but it took 17 posts to admit ya broke it in a crash and its not worked since, right?

good call! a '09 boxxer team also replaced my super t rcv as it was too short for the new bike. did ya hear the good news? push will be doin a full mod to '05 - '09 boxxers soon. im sure the new '10's arent far behind or littermags info was off. ill be callin darren in 15 min to discuss my fork and shock options.

#25 ·
funny ya mention that tire in the wet. i was down in the home shop a few days ago with a buddy drinkin beer and talkin bikes. go figure. anyway, i was lookin at my 2 earls hangin from the cieling thinkin they might just make a good med slop condition tire with a hot rubber knife or a dremmel tool. my thought was to remove all the 3rd row transition knobs between the outside and the 2 inside sets, maybe even some of the 2nd row providin me with somethin not as slow rollin as my swampthings but able to handle average wet conditions. thoughts folks?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.