Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New to the forum, need some advice on 2000 Ellsworth Joker

1K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  cactuscorn 
#1 ·
Hello, I'm new to the forum and I need some advice on if this bike is worth the money. I found a 2000 large, Ellsworth Joker for $700.00. I'm too tight on money to build a bike at the moment and I was wondering if this bike is worth picking up while I learn more about DH and HOW to build a DH bike... If someone could give me some advice, it'd be appreciated. Here are a couple pics;

Some specs;
2000 large, blue Ellsworth Joker full suspension downhill mountain bike w/ Marzocchi Jr. T w/ 6" of travel front and rear, Shimano disk brakes, IRC Kujos front tire (26" x 2.6"), Continental Survival Pro rear tire (26" x 2.3"), Sun Rhyno lite rims, Easton EA50 stem and raceface headset.

See less See more
#4 ·
If you have to have it, try and talk them down. The bike's almost 10 years old!!!

Also, my friend rocked one of these for a while, but had to deal with Ellsworth a lot! He had a couple issues with cracked swingarms. I think your $700 could do better. Save up a little more and shop around...

#5 ·
Uncle Cliffy said:
If you have to have it, try and talk them down. The bike's almost 10 years old!!!

Also, my friend rocked one of these for a while, but had to deal with Ellsworth a lot! He had a couple issues with cracked swingarms. I think your $700 could do better. Save up a little more and shop around...
I see. Thanks alot for the reply man. I really need something to hold me over for 6 months or so until I can afford a decent bike. I might just start trying to find a frame and start from there. Thanks again.

#6 ·
listen to yer wise uncle. he knows.

the geo on that beast looks terrible but what can ya tell from a poor, small pic? the tires are as old as the frame or damn close to it so theyre probably junk. id imagine the suspension needs a total overhaul and parts could be a problem. ells doesnt support a frame design for very long and old jr t parts are gettin scarce so good luck with that.

how tall are ya and whats yer inseam? a great deal on a ill fitting bike is no deal at all.

#7 ·
cactuscorn said:
listen to yer wise uncle. he knows.

the geo on that beast looks terrible but what can ya tell from a poor, small pic? the tires are as old as the frame or damn close to it so theyre probably junk. id imagine the suspension needs a total overhaul and parts could be a problem. ells doesnt support a frame design for very long and old jr t parts are gettin scarce so good luck with that.

how tall are ya and whats yer inseam? a great deal on a ill fitting bike is no deal at all.
I'm 5'11. By inseam you mean crotch to ankle, correct? If so, 28in. Thanks for the insight! I just want to make sure I'm not wasting my money.

#8 ·
id say a large frame that tall could be a mistake for a semi serious dh rig and a guy yer size. some would opt for a med from what ive learned. at 5'9" and a 32" inseam (measured crotch to floor) i could have gone with a small if i had wanted to but i prefer longer top tubes as long as theyre low like my dhr.

i know a guy with a lrg '06 dhr and a '08 888 for under fifteen hunny if yer interested. plenty of parts still available and kick ass owner support from turner make it a easy buy. that suckers low and slack enough to fit ya just fine. hes yer size and about 190 lbs and has got himself a new '08. ive also got a few bits id get rid of cheap too. pm me if that sounds cool.

#10 ·
Cactuscorn, I'm guessing that's just the frame right? I appreciate all the help man. I also have been checking out those Specialized Big Hit's. I'd prefer to buy a complete bike if I'm going to buy used, then build a new bike over 6 months or so. lol, now I'm just confused about what to get and to make sure I'm not going to break whatever I buy in two weeks. Well, I'm not gonna buy the piece of **** that I posted. Hah, I'll find something better!

#13 ·
frame, a '08 marzocchi 888 and im guessin a h/set. rear shock comes with it too. a pretty sweet deal on a real life dh chassis. i may also have a line on a avy dhs as well as the fox thats on the frame now.

im not at will to say what my '06 dhr cost me to build as much of it came from industry deals but i can tell ya buildin a used dh rig from good qual parts in good used condition allows room to get what ya want vs payin for stuff that doesnt work for yer weight, style and terrain. think on it a bit and lemme know if i can help. i have some pals who still have a few things left that didnt work out for them so between all our stuff ill bet yer fully built with prime bits for not much more than a cpl grand. not bad, dad.

the big hit is more a fr bike, not really what id call a true dh rig. lookin at the spec, yer gonna be under traveled, under geared, under braked, under tired and.... well lets just say yer far from done spendin money on a new bike if real dh racin, ridin is on yer list of to-do's. look at the whole picture no matter what ya buy or who ya buy from. myself included.

#14 ·
cactuscorn said:
frame, a '08 marzocchi 888 and im guessin a h/set. rear shock comes with it too. a pretty sweet deal on a real life dh chassis. i may also have a line on a avy dhs as well as the fox thats on the frame now.

im not at will to say what my '06 dhr cost me to build as much of it came from industry deals but i can tell ya buildin a used dh rig from good qual parts in good used condition allows room to get what ya want vs payin for stuff that doesnt work for yer weight, style and terrain. think on it a bit and lemme know if i can help. i have some pals who still have a few things left that didnt work out for them so between all our stuff ill bet yer fully built with prime bits for not much more than a cpl grand. not bad, dad.

the big hit is more a fr bike, not really what id call a true dh rig. lookin at the spec, yer gonna be under traveled, under geared, under braked, under tired and.... well lets just say yer far from done spendin money on a new bike if real dh racin, ridin is on yer list of to-do's. look at the whole picture no matter what ya buy or who ya buy from. myself included.
Cool man! I appreciate it once again. I'm just gonna ride the Giant until I can part together a bike. I'll PM you once I figure my finances out. Thanks again man.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.