Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

cannondale PERP or Transition BOTTLEROCKET

3K views 47 replies 32 participants last post by  rmb_mike 
#1 ·
so I just build myself a hard tail for AM, and think I need to upgrade from mi current gemini, which would be use as a park bike, big mountain, light downhill (probably light FR, depends on what is FR to you) so, I am thinking a bottlerocket? or a Perp?:confused:

#4 ·
Honestly, Im selling my brocket because I dont like how inactive the suspension is 3/4 of the time. It is a great frame if all you ride is parks that are for the most part smooth or you do a lot of jumping. I have a riding buddy who is very well suited for the brocket and I would describe his riding style as more of a bowl things over than a smooth finesse type. I got a brocket when I saw how much he liked his and how stiff and well built it was. After about half a season on it I knew I wanted something more active and with a little more travel. Plus taking it on the trail is fun, till you have to climb, its not a climber at all but thats not what its for anyway.

#5 ·
kitsapfreerider said:
Bottlerocket, enough said.
Thats stupid, the bottle rocket is a solid bike but definitely not the greatest out there. there are a ton of options out there. Do some shopping around, ask the guys at your local trails and bike shops what they think about what makes a good bike for where you ride.

What are you local trails like? Smooth with a lot of jumping? or more technical? a mix or...?

#8 ·
saturnine said:
get a perp. everyone has a bottlerocket
Sorry, but that's a fvcking stupid reason not to buy a bike.

The two bikes you mentioned are pretty different. I've got a BR, and a guy I ride with has a Perp, so I've got at least a little time on each. The BR is a lot snappier and poppier, whereas the Perp is has much more of a plow bike feel to it. If you're just looking at those two, it just comes down to what you want to do with the bike. If you're mostly going to ride resorts/ shuttle stuff, the Perp is probably a better choice, with it's more travel, etc. If you want something you can pedal, jump, and take DHing on the weekend, the BR fits the bill, so long as your idea of DH isn't WC racer boy stuff.

#9 ·
Hardtails Are Better said:
The two bikes you mentioned are pretty different. I've got a BR, and a guy I ride with has a Perp, so I've got at least a little time on each. The BR is a lot snappier and poppier, whereas the Perp is has much more of a plow bike feel to it. If you're just looking at those two, it just comes down to what you want to do with the bike. If you're mostly going to ride resorts/ shuttle stuff, the Perp is probably a better choice, with it's more travel, etc. If you want something you can pedal, jump, and take DHing on the weekend, the BR fits the bill, so long as your idea of DH isn't WC racer boy stuff.
100% agree. really look at what you want to do. I love the BR for resorts, and just smoother stuff because it's just fast, quick, can be very light, and just in general the funnest bike i've ever ridden...but the perp is def not the same type of bike. If it were me, i'd go with the BR...whoever said the suspension isn't active needs to get it dialed in because it's just fine.

#12 ·
If you're coming off a Gemini then the Perp is the better choice. I rode my friends old school Gemini 900 a bunch at it was a pretty plow bike. I'm not really a fan of Transition, but I hold it to myself, but from what I get the Bottlerocket is like riding a pogo stick, really poppy and snappy, which some people like.

The Perp is going to be similar to your Gemini, and sorry guys, but the Cannondale is the better quality bike.

#13 ·
Raptordude said:
If you're coming off a Gemini then the Perp is the better choice. I rode my friends old school Gemini 900 a bunch at it was a pretty plow bike. I'm not really a fan of Transition, but I hold it to myself, but from what I get the Bottlerocket is like riding a pogo stick, really poppy and snappy, which some people like.

The Perp is going to be similar to your Gemini, and sorry guys, but the Cannondale is the better quality bike.
That's about right, though I don't know if pogo stick is the right word. Maybe more like riding a hardtail on a bit smoother trail than what you're actually on. :D

#17 ·
Also look at the Sinister Gruitr. I had a B-rocket as well and wanted something lighter that I could use as an all purpose bike. The Gruitr handles everything the BR did but weighs a few lbs less. It climbs unbelievable, really excels at SS/FR stuff at parks and I can use it for an XC ride - something I could not do with the BR.

#20 ·
If you want a FREEIDE bike. Do it all bike. Fast trails, dirtjumps, downhills, drops etc. then go for the PREP. Ive ridden the PREP and i thought it was a fantastic bike. Pedals really well and the a great stroke through out its travel. I rode the Bottlerocket at Dirtjumps, and yes it was poppy. That can have its ups and downs and is really personal choice. The bikes are very different, but both great choices. The canondale has 10 year warranty which is also a plus. Its really up to you. More poppy slopestyle bike, Bottlerocket. If you want a FREERIDE bike then id go for the PREP. Its down to that choice really.

#23 ·
Perp. Handmade frames = win.

plus it's a solid warranty and the bike is bangin. even the perp 3 that comes with not amazing parts has a great looking paint scheme.

but seriously. the perp 1 is a killer bike. if i were in the market for a FR bike, that would be my choice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.