Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

discs rubbing against brake pads when leaning

624 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  LyNx 
#1 ·
i don't know if i should've put this in the braking forum (is there one?) but i wanted to posted it here :)

when leaning my bike on moderately fast/fast curves, i could hear one or two of my discs rubbing against the brake pads and it produces a sound (the sound when two pieces of metal colliding with each other, ie. like samurai swords hitting each other).

is this normal? i've tried looking at my disc/wheel alignments and they looked fine to me, btw, i'm rocking a large uzzi vpx with 2008 xt brakes.

thanks in advance!!!:thumbsup:

#2 ·
It can be normal. Depends on the fork and frame, there is always some degree of flex inherent in the system so if the pads are initially very close to the rotor, even minute degrees of flex can cause pad rubbing mid-turn. I've experienced it, it's not a big deal. I wouldn't worry about it unless your actually noticing un-initiated braking mid corner.

#3 ·
yep. also somethin to think on is the condition of the pivots. i understand the vpp bearings can go bad fast and if this is the case with yers, yer condition could make things far more pronounced. make sure yer pads arent worn out causin the rotors to contact the caliper bodies themselves. if this is whats happenin, and it could be in tandem with the pivot thing, there will be obvious marks in the caliper. hard sayin for sure but it could simply be flex. may wanna ask the same question in the intense forum but i kinda doubt its a brake problem.

#5 ·
The correct term is "Swingin" that you hear :D As said it can be caused by fork flex or frame flex if the frame or as said pivots worn. Also can be caused by a hub if not adjusted properly or not tight in the drop outs. There's a lot of force put on the hub in a high speed turn, so this is when you'll notice it the most.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.