Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

FR DH Jerseys - why so racey?

3K views 39 replies 25 participants last post by  joelalamo45 
#1 ·
So its ski season as Ive been hunting out some new boarding/ski gear - snow sport dudes get treated to an awsome range of stuff in loads of cool casual designs that is still very practical... is it just me or is most of the bike gear race type jerseys???

You you would never catch boarders or free skiiers in race jerseys... who makes cool casual DH FR gear that wont make me look like steve peat?

Any other sports I can steal from - even motocrossers stuff all looks a bit racey?

#2 · (Edited)
Karve said:
So its ski season as Ive been hunting out some new boarding/ski gear - snow sport dudes get treated to an awsome range of stuff in loads of cool casual designs that is still very practical... is it just me or is most of the bike gear race type jerseys???

You you would never catch boarders or free skiiers in race jerseys... who makes cool casual DH FR gear that wont make me look like steve peat?

Any other sports I can steal from - even motocrossers stuff all looks a bit racey?
FOX

DAKINE

JETT MTB

#10 ·
Most major companies offer tame stuff man....just look around:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/JE310B04-Royal+Every-Day+Long+Sleeve+Jersey.aspx

I actually have two of these in my closet now: http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/JE290B00-Troy+Lee+Designs+Moto+Jersey+09.aspx

And one of these: http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/17...-Sleeve/Fox-Blitz-Freeride-Cycling-Jersey.htm

I do have more racey stuff, but only for just that, races. Which won't be happening for a while, but I digress. Check out the TLD I linked to. They're awesome, just don't wash them like a normal shirt, you'll eat off the logo on the front after like 4 passes.

#12 ·
oakleys dh jersey ($31.99) and shorts ($32.47) have been on chainlove alot lately, very confy and low key gear. cant tell ya how durable it is in a fall but all the other stuff ive got from them is top rate quality and super comfy.

but be aware the dh jerseys sleaves are on the snug side with armor. i can fit a med usually but prefer a large. i had to go xl to have room and still its not baggy except in the torso. another thing. i normally get small oakley balistic shorts cuz theyre so huge in the waist. bein a 32, med would be my size but i had to go large with the dh's which accept a liner just like the balistics. oakley sizing is all over the place so consider gettin a size or 2 then returnin the 1 that doesnt fit.

heres what i got but theres black shorts and blue/black jerseys too. if chainlove doesnt do it for ya, check places like go ride. kris and scott are good people.

Attachments

#13 ·
69nites said:
I feel like this http://www.sixsixone.com/Catalog_Ro...&product=3ed26b85-990a-48b7-90ff-a8db2adc1f79 is a pretty good happy medium for me.

Since I own nothing but black t-shirts I feel it fits my style more than most jerseys. I just wish we had the kind of pant options the snowboarders do. Hell it's hard for me to even find places that carry pants made to pedal in. (I don't do shorts)
Actually cannondale's freeride pants kinda match that black shirt....

2008 model

2009 model

#14 ·
Jettj45 said:
Actually cannondale's freeride pants kinda match that black shirt....

2008 model

2009 model
http://www.sixsixone.com/Catalog_Ro...&product=c54eaa73-a141-4878-8ff7-ed58a188e685

I would be rocking the matching pant if any of the distributors that my shop works with had them.

but it's really not a big deal for me, I don't really have a problem wearing jeans and dickies out to ride. the extra ventilation and flexibility of something purpose built with the same style would probably even make me be willing to pay full price.

G
#19 ·
69nites said:
I feel like this http://www.sixsixone.com/Catalog_Ro...&product=3ed26b85-990a-48b7-90ff-a8db2adc1f79 is a pretty good happy medium for me.

Since I own nothing but black t-shirts I feel it fits my style more than most jerseys. I just wish we had the kind of pant options the snowboarders do. Hell it's hard for me to even find places that carry pants made to pedal in. (I don't do shorts)
I got mine in the mail the other day, it's not actually black, more like a deep, dark, almost black with a hint of bronze (if that makes sense). Only way to match that is to get the Stealth shorts or pants (they're really nice, too).

#21 ·
Dr Phil mmkay said:
I got mine in the mail the other day, it's not actually black, more like a deep, dark, almost black with a hint of bronze (if that makes sense). Only way to match that is to get the Stealth shorts or pants (they're really nice, too).
Yeah I've already got it, I've been wearing it with an older pair of double knee dickies. The jersey looks like a black jersey that's been washed a few times to me and the arms are a little weird but it works for me.

#22 ·
Cool guys good to see there is a bit of stuff out there and I have to concur with the guys jamming sombrio stuff as Im running one of their tops and they do seem to have put some effort in their design.

Admittedly the boarding scene is a bit of a fashion show but what’s wrong with having a super wide range of designs to choose from. We should be demanding a better range of technical wear. Im in whistler right now and there is row after row of interesting stuff all technically designed and super practical for the skis and boarders. Why to we put up with the same old dull stuff. If the best stuff we can find is what is in this thread then its a bit sad. Nothing wrong with offering a bit of expression in your threads.

TLD helmets are wild and funky and tbh their threads dulls as. Id like to see THE offering threads as their helmet designs are inspired.

#24 ·
Dr Phil mmkay said:
Yeah, the Stealth stuff is really nice, just took delivery of jersey + shorts. Last year, they also had a bunch of more low-key designs as well (I picked up a couple of different ones, can't remember which ones, but I am sure a few are still out there on closeout or whatever). Really like their stuff. Royal jerseys also are hard to beat for quality....just keep riding and washing em, they don't fade, they don't fall apart...
I have a friend who just picked up a new Fox jersey, the fabric started developing little runs in the yarn just after one ride...touch it with a piece of hook-n-loop (kneepad, pressure suit strap or whatever) and it freakin tears apart......it already looks horribly scruffy. I had the same issue with a Blitz 3/4 jersey from Fox.

+1 for Sombrio. I run a pair of their semi-wet weather shorts - incredible fit and quality. I also wear them around town all the time to my wife's despair...they look like a pair of jeans, almost...

#25 ·
Karve said:

I guess it was just you

#26 ·
crazy Jim said:
I guess it was just you
Yea very cute - but comon... gimmie a break how does the fairly unispired stuff (no disrespect to those who tried to help this thread and dug it out) which is mentioned above compare to..

http://www.tactics.com/snowboard-hoodies/page-all

I think sometimes us bikers are pretty conservative with clothing and to me its an other opportunity for fun expression... why be happy with what out there?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.