Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Someone who means something at Fox Racing Shox;

5K views 93 replies 42 participants last post by  his dudeness 
#1 ·
Get with the progam and start designing a Long travel single crown; as in a 180mm fork!

#5 ·
tmarkos said:
Do you really need that .5 inch?:D
OK, then let's rephrase the OP's request:
Get with the program and start designing a single crown freeride fork.

The problem isn't the half an inch. The 36 is really a trail fork. A damn good trail fork, but a trail fork none-the-less. I love the 36 VanR on my Reign, but it can't handle the burl of some of the heavier freeride-ish stuff. I wish Fox had an offering somewhere in between the 36 and the 40.

--Ben

#10 ·
Jettj45 said:
Why...

Is there actually a market for that?
You're kidding right? :skep: There's a lot of frames designed around a 565mm axel to crown that Rock Shox and Marzocchi make, but Fox does not. I have a bike that likes this measurement. Fox doesn't offer anything except for the 40, but I want a single crown instead.

I'd be down to run a single crown 40 with a 1.5 steerer... ;)

#18 ·
I was a little confused, the whole "you're wrong" and then repeating what I said and all....

hahah, no worries man

I don't think that 3/4 of an inch makes as big a difference as the A2C difference. Sure its an added benefit, but I don't think its the biggest deal in a freeride fork. Correct geo and angles are more important. The extra 3/4 an inch is just icing on the cake

#19 ·
Yeah, it still perplexes me why they haven't entered this market. Fox seems to be the king of intermediate's anyways right? They invented the 15mm to get everybody (read weight weenies) excited about their 150mm fork, but they can't make a fork in between 160mm and 203mm...

There is a huge market out there for a 180mm fork, I'm afraid not so much for the 15mm 150mm fork.

#24 ·
tmarkos said:
The 36 seems tough enough to me. It feels stiffer actually, but that could be the switch to 1.5 ST.
Does anyone have any evidence that the Marz is a stronger fork?
Thats a pretty tough one to test. "I broke mine doing xyz" isn't really a good test because the forks really get ridden in pretty different ways. My guess is the only quantifiable tests that have been done are by the companies themselves and I doubt we'll ever see their results!

The main deal here is the extra travel (better tracking, softer big hits, more control) and the increased A2C (proper geometry, nobody wants to feel like they're falling over the front of their bike). For most modern DH'ers, a slack bike is better then a steep bike, and since bikes are designed around 180mm forks, a 160mm fork just doesn't cut it.

Not that I would buy one, since I'm pretty into full 8 inch DC forks or smaller 160mm for trail bikes, but I understand the need.

#25 ·
Clutchman83 said:
Yeah, it still perplexes me why they haven't entered this market. Fox seems to be the king of intermediate's anyways right? They invented the 15mm to get everybody (read weight weenies) excited about their 150mm fork, but they can't make a fork in between 160mm and 203mm...

There is a huge market out there for a 180mm fork, I'm afraid not so much for the 15mm 150mm fork.
Fox definately needs to step it up a bit and make a 180 SC. Maybe they could do something between a 36 and a 40? Like a 38mm stanchion 1.5 h/t... That'd be pretty shweet.

But there really and truly is a HUGE market for the 15mm axle, just not in the FR/DH genre. But then again that's not who those forks are intended for, they're more for the long travel XC/AM crowd which in reality is a much larger population than the DH/FR scene.

#26 ·
Clutchman8 said:
Dude, put down the crack pipe.

There are hordes of bikers who are into the whole long-travel trail thing, and although they don't need more than 100mm fork, think they need to run 6" of travel on their XC bikes. Cross-country is a wayyyyyyy HUDGER market than dh/fr.

But I would still love to see a big FR fork from Fox.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.