Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2009 Specialized SX Trail 2

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  SHIVER ME TIMBERS 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. Kind of new to the forums, but wanted to introduce myself, while at the same time talk about the bike I ride.

My name is Cody Yankey currently stationed in Japan working for the US Navy as an AD (Aviation machinist mate, nut shell: I work on the Jet engines). I was stationed in Jacksonville Florida when I started to mountain bike 3 years ago. I had/and still have a 2005 specialized P2 (not the cro-mo), and it has been AWESOME to me. Did some dirtjumping, urban/free riding with it, and it has been a great starting bike.

Well...I figured it was time to get into something that can handle higher drops, bigger jumps, and some Black diamond/downhill riding. I think I got in the ball park of what I needed with the SX trail. Looks are a hate/love type of thing, but I am a HUGE fan of the Norco Six, so I fell in love at first sight (Love the uninterrupted seat tube of the SX.).

I think I might be having a few problems with the bike? It is about as different as it gets from my P2, but with a bike that costs this much, and the reputation it holds with professional riders. I would think I would not have any problems from it. Then again, maybe they are not problems, and are just something understood upon buying something like this.

Problem 1

The Derailleur is an E-type bolted to the chain stay (I love this feature) so it is different then I am "use" to. It has SRAM X-5 shifters, which have great feel, but, the shifter is set up for a 3 ring set-up, well....My bike only has 2 chain rings, so when I need to put the chain on the upper ring I really have PRESS hard and VERY far to get the derailleur to move the chain on the upper ring, and sometimes, after a good hard hit it shifts itself back to the lower ring, or the chain just falls off the rings themselves. I know I am not hitting the lever with my thumb, because the marker is still indicating the larger chain ring. Is this something with full suspension I have to adjust my riding to, or do I need to adjust the front derailleur for more clearance? Maybe the chain is too lose? I am at a loss.

Problem 2

The head tube is a taper design that is now getting a ton of attention from the big bike companies. It is a really cool design, and looks fantastic, and so far, has performed great, but, it feels like my fork becomes loose inside the frame after a hard day of riding. I took it apart, cleaned it, re greased it, and then put everything back together while having a friend press the handle bars down, while I tightened the headset. Then I took it riding again yesterday, and noticed that it was showing/felt a little play when I set the front brake and moved the bike forward with my hands (you could feel it). Is this normal, or do I need a tool to compress the fork up, or down (whichever way you want to look at it) so I can maintain the proper tightness in the headset/riser? Or is this something that I will always have to watch out for?

Problem 3
The DHX 4.0 I keep bottoming out on bigger drops, or some of my 4-5 feet to flat hit. I have the air pressure to 150psi, and the rebound to the fastest setting with the pro-pedal (which I assume was compression) to the hardest setting. Maybe I just need a stronger spring (current spring is a 600) or a stronger shock.

This is not a problem, but more of a preventative thing, does anyone have a link to the Rock Shock Domain 318 rebuild kit, and maintenance procedures? I do not want to send this thing in, if I can just do the work myself. I figure every 2 months, or maybe 200 hours of ride time for an oil change, and packing check. Does that sound like good intervals or do I need more frequent checks?

Your inputs would be great, and really be a good learning experiance for me. In Japan it is hard to get what I am saying across to the maintenance guy or local dealer. My Japanese is almost as good as my English grammar skills, which...As you can see....Arn't the best.

Thanks
-Cody

See less See more
#2 ·
Problem 1: The front derailleur is probably one of the most finicky things on a bike if you are unfamiliar with how to adjust them, especially e-type ones. Quick guide, set your low stop so it is just against the chain when in your lowest gear, then give yourself enough throw to get to the next ring with your cable tension, then limit your high stop so it doesn't go farther than what you need to get up to your big ring. If this doesn't help I think the park tools website might have some good guides on this subject.

Problem 2: holy crap! take it easy on that poor headset. you only need to pre-load the bearings enough to keep them in place without crushing them. The play you feel is most likely in your fork bushings. Try grabbing the fork crown and handlebar, now give the those a good wiggle, and check for headset play, that way you eliminate feeling the fork bushings move.

Problem 3: Getting the correct spring for you body weight is crucial to the suspension working right, make sure you give FOX the correct dimensions for your spring.

Hope that helps a little. I just sold an SX with a domain and DHX 4.0, great bike...

Hope Japan treats you well, go buy some vending machine used panties for me.

#3 ·
For questions 1 and 2

For #1... set your limit screws to handle just the two gears if you want to. I have an older sx trail that also runs 2 rings. Basically I set the limit screw for the smallest chainring, and then shifted into the larger ring (36tooth). On the third click (to the missing largest chainring), I have the limit set fairly tight, just so I am able to trim the FD to avoid a slight amount of chain rub against the cage.

for #2, it seems as though you may not be adjusting it correctly? Loosen the pinch bolts that hold the stem onto the steering tube, tighten the top cap down until you don't feel any play, and then retighten the stem onto the steering tube.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=65

#4 ·
Thanks for the help! I don't have time now, but when I get off work I will give the derailleur tips you gave a try.

You are right about the fork bushing. I felt NO play when I lifted the bike off the ground and tried to move the fork inside the head tube. You just took a HUGE weight off my shoulders. I was scared that I was going to hit from a good sized drop, and have the fork come right out of the head tube or something.

Is the bushing in the fork something to worry about or upgraded or.....replaced? I have only had the bike for about 3 weeks.

Lol, haven't seen the Vending machine for used panties, but they do have some CRAZY things here. The free hugs in Shibuya is crazy, though!

Fender Roads: Thanks for the link. I had no idea that much effort goes into a threadless headset. Great help, with very fast reply's. Thank you.

#6 ·
Khemical said:
(sorry Cody in advance...I tried to be nice)

If you can't do something as simple as adjust a front derailleur you have no business re-building a fork or (gasp!) working on jet engines!

Seriously bro check out some basic bike maintenance before you kill your rig.
http://www.parktool.com/repair/byregion.asp
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/repair/index.html

Good luck!
No harm done. I never said I was a genius. I am in the Navy because of the grades I got, or rather, didn't get in High school.

Thanks for the links. I have looked for something just dedicated to maintenance of bikes on different bike forums. Either I suck at the internet, or there just are not any.

I am sure I can figure out how to rebuild and/or adjust anything. It just takes some reading, and that is one of the things I asked for, and have received from you guys. Thanks :)

#11 ·
CodyYankey said:
No harm done. I never said I was a genius. I am in the Navy because of the grades I got, or rather, didn't get in High school.

Thanks for the links. I have looked for something just dedicated to maintenance of bikes on different bike forums. Either I suck at the internet, or there just are not any.

I am sure I can figure out how to rebuild and/or adjust anything. It just takes some reading, and that is one of the things I asked for, and have received from you guys. Thanks :)
I'd rather be in the Navy then the army or marines

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.