Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What kills DT 5.1 rims?

2K views 42 replies 28 participants last post by  006_007 
#1 ·
What are the weak points of the DT 5.1 rims? Is it hammering through rocks with low PSi or landing drops to flat?
I am really keen on a light weight wheel set for trail riding but most of my trails have some sweet street riding along the way. Mostly drops to flat/semi flat at 4'-5' height, with some nice tarmac jumps etc. One trail has a a couple of log stairs I am trying to clear but mostly I am still catching the bottom one or 2 logs. I am hammering some outlaws which are great do it all rims considering their weight I roll them fine. The hubs are average on the trails for engagement. They only come in 36 and my pro2 hubs are 32 so not an option but the current set will go to 2.5" rubber for DH runs. I am not convinced the 729s are needed (I havent found any serious rocky trails yet and the oulaws have survived what I have ridden so far with only some small flat spots) and plan to return them but I can only go for DT 5.1s or I will have to import my own rims. The other choices are all XC rims. I am definatley going tubeless and will run 2.4" rubber. I have read the destruction DH racers do to their 5.1s and they are sponsored but surely they have to have some strength or they wouldnt be an option at all eh?

#3 ·
This is kind of a weird question...what kills DT 5.1 Rims? Probably the same things that kill all types of rims: Harsh Landings, Dinging Rocks with low PSI, Landing Crooked, bad craftsmanship, casing landings, etc.

DT Swiss Rims are pretty soft to begin with, and I don't get this question...

#4 ·
Raptordude, check out the reviews for DT5.1s. Really mixed but no real info on how or why they were bad. I have PMed ERR as I have seen pics of his bikes and stunts on mtbr and he recommended DT5.1s but I didnt ask what type or riding he does with them as he also has 823s. I have to trust an expat builder in Korea and I need them to last at least a year if not 2 as I dont even have access to brass nipples which are getting sent from UK by a friend. I am trying to avoid shipping rims due to their size etc. I am a heavy on my parts due working on my skillz and will hit a drop 10 times before moving on but I am trying to convince myself that I will be diciplined about abusing my "lite wheelset". I really need to start pedaling again and stop all this pushing, hence the lite wheels. I have only just found a trail that isnt so vertical that even pushing is a calf burner and I can actulay clock some miles again. But the reviews are odd, some race them, some trail ride them. I know they are soft and rocks seem to be the killer. I know tubeless helps but what about a bit of street. If I dont use them for full urban and land side on but only mid size drops will they hold? I just need to make a calculated descision. There is a jump from 500g dts to mid 500g freedoms and spank subrosa to 600ish 721s and then high 600g 729s. Fitting a 600g rim will put me where my outlaws are but just better engagement.

#9 ·
east coaster here, lots of rocks and roots. not really had any issues with mine. they stay true but i bend the sidewalls a decent amount and have to pull them back out, i tore through a tire and a sidewall on my most recent season ending flat, dont really remember what it was though cause my bike has been away since up until a few days ago when A Grove and i made some snow jumps up on Penn State's campus

#12 ·
now i am getting info i can use. i dont need to worry about square hits, got outlaws for that at the mo. I used to fun a freedom rear and 325 front so i know mixed rim setups work. cheers for the feedback, so far so good. sounds like it will be a worthwhile experiment. this year will see loads of trials for me - air shock, stem lengths, tyres and my Wildcard. Its gonna be a good year!

#15 ·
why not look at the 721? that is the next rim im going to build up.
the only people ive known with 5.1 didnt like them really, soft, dinged ez, etc. what other peeps are saying.

but i havnt heard anything bad about the 721s
any negatives? anybody?

#20 ·
Raptordude said:
This is kind of a weird question...what kills DT 5.1 Rims? Probably the same things that kill all types of rims: Harsh Landings, Dinging Rocks with low PSI, Landing Crooked, bad craftsmanship, casing landings, etc.

DT Swiss Rims are pretty soft to begin with, and I don't get this question...
I'm with Raptor on this one...

#22 ·
bwaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

rocks and roots can dent em and such. at 165lbs and a somewhat smooth guy who sees 6' drops tops on his 5.1's w/ 2.35 minions or 2.4 advantages, they hold up fine on a well dialed '07 rfx. but knowin what i know, id go 721's in yer situation. just a bit too much risk for 5.1's id say.

#23 ·
Thats what bothers me, risky! I aint afraid of big guns and bullets xcept if the North Koreans get agro with the locals here in the South, I dont have massive gnar to worry bout cause trails are fairly smooth and I would run heavier rims wit 2.5s if I,z worried. Mainly just drops to flat or landing on some rocks or roots.
MMMM sounds sketchy.
721s are on top of my short list but like I said I wood have to ship dem in. I am hoping to go local. I may hold the 729s in da storage for now but I will have to think about dose
5.1s. I believe tubeless helps.
How the hell can it be so mixed? Some are racing theirs for a season or more and some are killing them on trail rides?
Appreciate all the feedback anyways. As mixed as the reviews it seems.

#24 ·
juan pablo said:
How the hell can it be so mixed? Some are racing theirs for a season or more and some are killing them on trail rides?
style and enviornment. hardtails and big travel. the list goes on. ive beat on mine a fair bit but we have a 6 month season and mellow trails in town. i gotta drive 6 hours or more to see the chunk which i do 3 or so times a season. still, i dont think regular drops to flat will be a 5.1's pal over a long season. good luck.

#25 ·
yup thats what I was thinking. Maybe some have less travel with less volume tyres and land bang down on that one rock. Well moving on. I may just have to ship in but I plan to try build my first set this year and if I can get it right then it will help to try diffent rims out. For now I am so dam limited with parts and wheel builders. When my outlaws die I will have some hubs to play with.

#26 ·
Raptordude said:
I think bad craftmanship.....can really effect a rim....a strong rim with a poor builder won't last as long as a very soft rim built right

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.