Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Lookin for a freeride bike. Any suggestions???

925 views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  oldskoolbiker 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm new to the whole mountain bike world but some motocross buddies have gotten bikes to help with training. They have XC bikes and say they wish they would've gotten a more freeride type of bike.

I want something I can mash around on on the downhill and jump, but still be able to pedal without completely killing myself if I need too. I'm in Reno, NV so Lake Tahoe is in my backyard. I want something with around 7" of travel. What should I look for as far as components go? Do you recommend building a bike from frame up or buying a complete bike? I wanna spend around 2,500 - 3,500 is this a reasonable price range for a decent bike? I don't need the best of the best but don't want crap that I'm going to have to replace right away either.

Bikes I've been looking at are the KHS Lucky 7, Iron Horse 7 point, and the Specialized BigHit FSR2. Any feedback would be great or if you guys have any other suggestions let me know.

Thanks

#2 ·
Don't do the Big hit, go with a SX trail instead. You can find them on ebay or for about the max you want to spend you can get the 09 SX trail 1. It has been my experience that unless you are a 120 pound kid that can pedal anything because you don't know any better, the big hit does not like going uphill.

#3 ·
dude if i were you i would lean twords the khs lucky 7 and i would lean far far away from the big hit. all the big hits apart from the 09 just look really.... i dunno not worth getting if there are alternatives. annother one i might suggest would be if you could get it a trek session 77. if you have decent componets on it you would end up with a bike that weighs about the same as the 09 big hit. and might be a little easier on the wallet. and plus i have one an i LOVE it. its freaking amazing. i have a marzocchi 888 vf on it and it weighs about 42 pounds and pedals very very well. oh and also try to find an 07 or 08 7point if thats what you choose because the 09's are probably gonna be pretty noodly because their pulling outta the local bike shops and going through places like dicks and this is the last year with the dw link and they are trying to get rid of all their left overs.

so ya thats it. khs good, 09 big hit good, all other big hits not so much, trek session 77, and 7point 07 or 08.:thumbsup:

#8 ·
keep looking around. do a lot of research, and dont make a decision mostly based on what you read here on the forums.

when you ask "what do you think of such and such bikes", more than likely you ll get responses like "get this bike(one that hasnt even been asked about) its great! because i have one and i think it's awesome" or "dont get this one, i sat on it once in a parking lot, and i just dont like it"

i'm not saying you wont find good advice here, just take it with a grain of salt.

that said, keep looking at 5-7" travel frames. some thing that's front derailleur compatible since you want to pedal. youll be able to find some thing NEW with that budget, but buying used is never a bad thing, especially when your starting. as for buying complete or building yourself, thats entirely upto you.

#11 ·
WELCOME TO THE FORUM...

one word of advice.....don't drop all that cash on your first bike...there are plenty of dudes that do that and never ride the bike....then they turn around and sell the bike....this is where you score.

so get a used bike...ride it for a year and destroy it why you are learning, then you sell that bike for pretty much what you paid for it and then spend the dough you have on a nice bike.....it also gives you the opportunity to look at other bikes and make a more informed decision on the bike you like to ride.

Intense Uzzi or SoCom
specialized sx trail or enduro
lucky 7 or Azonic B52 (same bike)
Santa Cruz Nomad are all good bikes and couldn't go bad on either...I kind of like the SoCom

#12 ·
Lucky 7 in size small - cheap

Just another biker said:
dude if i were you i would lean twords the khs lucky 7 and i would lean far far away from the big hit. all the big hits apart from the 09 just look really.... i dunno not worth getting if there are alternatives. annother one i might suggest would be if you could get it a trek session 77. if you have decent componets on it you would end up with a bike that weighs about the same as the 09 big hit. and might be a little easier on the wallet. and plus i have one an i LOVE it. its freaking amazing. i have a marzocchi 888 vf on it and it weighs about 42 pounds and pedals very very well. oh and also try to find an 07 or 08 7point if thats what you choose because the 09's are probably gonna be pretty noodly because their pulling outta the local bike shops and going through places like dicks and this is the last year with the dw link and they are trying to get rid of all their left overs.

so ya thats it. khs good, 09 big hit good, all other big hits not so much, trek session 77, and 7point 07 or 08.:thumbsup:
There's a online retailer advertising a 2008 lucky 7 in small for $1700. but you can submit an offer. my co worker submitted $1300 and it was accepted without hesitation. He had to back out unfortunately due to a car breakdown repair cost that happened. If you can fit a small, I'd say make an offer ($1200? $1100?).

Here's the link:

http://www.bonanzle.com/booths/geartracker/items/KHS_Lucky_7___Mens_Small___2008_Model

REEK

#14 ·
i own an 06 big hit and have my eye on a transition bottle rocket or intense ss i really like the sizing of those bikes they would be easier for me to ride since i am a short guy and use to riding a dj bike all the time. if i were taller my bike would be sick i have upgraded the fork to a totem coil and the bars to the sunline v os and stem to azonic. i have road my buddies trek 77 a nice bike but still preferred my big hit to the 77. i also road my buddies bottle rocket and i like that bike over the big hit due to the small sizing and ease of riding, but i really like small big hit bikes i like to throw the bike around with ease that may be due to the fact i ride my dj alot

#16 ·
I agree

SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
WELCOME TO THE FORUM...

one word of advice.....don't drop all that cash on your first bike...there are plenty of dudes that do that and never ride the bike....then they turn around and sell the bike....this is where you score.

It will be a long time before I buy a new frame. Just try to pick one up from a poser or someone who needs money quick.

#18 ·
HTFR said:
Whats wrong with a big hit? I even like the years with the 24 inch rear. There is nothing wrong with a bighit. Any way PM sent.
He wants to pedal, so a BigHit is definitely not a good choice for a primary bike.

Take a look at the SX Trail or Reign X. Both can be used for medium downhill and can still be pedaled. Stay away from dedicated DH rigs like the IH Sunday, Demo 8, etc. if you want to pedal uphill at all.

#19 ·
Tom S said:
He wants to pedal, so a BigHit is definitely not a good choice for a primary bike.

Take a look at the SX Trail or Reign X. Both can be used for medium downhill and can still be pedaled. Stay away from dedicated DH rigs like the IH Sunday, Demo 8, etc. if you want to pedal uphill at all.
I was just sayin a Bighit is a great inexpensive bike. And I agree an SX trail would be better. Thats why I sent him a PM about my SXT for sale.:D

#20 ·
Khemical said:
Santa Cruz Bullit :thumbsup:
amen...and hell yes.....i have done some pedaling with this bike...its totally doable and the climbs can be really rewarding for the decents......and its not super expensive and its a single pivot almost 0 maintenance

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.