Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Painting frame stone

2K views 33 replies 19 participants last post by  BloodyRoots 
#1 ·
So I'm going to be painting my bike "stone". I'm gona be trying to convert the bike to a more freestyle/DH type bike (since it's allready heavy as hell) and I can't be having it this fru fru blue color. Can the marzocchi drop off dual crown fork handle some good stuff? Jr T? Or should i fork over the change and get a 888?

will keep you guys updated on progress.

See less See more
#4 ·
haha thanks for the heads up. I can tig, was thinking about adding supports.. but will prolly be easier to just get a new frame huh? Think it will at least look good?
Keep in mind, i am a beginner at downhill.. so i will not do any crazy/fast stuff.. just some ~10 ft drops and small hills here and there with this bike... i'm nooby

#5 ·
BloodyRoots said:
haha thanks for the heads up. I can tig, was thinking about adding supports.. but will prolly be easier to just get a new frame huh? Think it will at least look good?
Keep in mind, i am a beginner at downhill.. so i will not do any crazy/fast stuff.. just some ~10 ft drops and small hills here and there with this bike... i'm nooby
get a new frame....that haro frame already looks 'stoned'...:eekster:

#6 ·
Jr T and DOT are both crap with SSV/SSVF damping. They're practically the same. They lack adjustability and spike over the fast rough stuff.

The generation of the Extreme after that one (with the hydroformed tubes) was actually pretty burly. This one does not inspire confidence though.

#7 ·
hey guys, allready found some frames on pinkbike.com Looking at some Spec bighit frames for pretty good price. Sucks, gotta take money out of the vette fund :(

Thanks for potentially saving my life.

#8 ·
BloodyRoots said:
tig welding supports will actually weaken the bike...it will then need to be heat treated....if you don't do that then don't bother

10 foot drops....yeah I would like to see a noob hit 10 footers...or learn your measurements

Attachments

#12 ·
hmm its a haro x2...which was made as a DH type bike? i dunno about that year model but thats what the x series is now. if you gunna paint it sand it down a bit, prime it, give it 2 solid coats an then some clear coat if you actually wanna make it look nice. you can easicly chance it fro a 3 ring to a 2 ring w/ bashguard!

#13 ·
BloodyRoots said:
haha thanks for the heads up. I can tig, was thinking about adding supports..
If you add (weld) material remember that you need to heat-treat the frame. Say goodbye to your fancy stone paintjob. (unless you do it first of course). Me? I can't wait to see the stone paint job. I'm thinking about doing that to my fork. That, or some sort of undercoating.

#20 ·
lol sorry,took the bottom bracket out last night and the pivot portion of the rear and found one of the bearings was broken. So, i stopped last night and im 6 hours away from home tonight so I cant work on it. Gonna use some aircraft paint stripper when i get home tomorrow night (if i make it in time) and start scuffing the metal to get primer to stick. After i get the primer (1 coat) I'm gonna spray the stone paint on about 2-3 coats... this stuff is SUPER THICK!!!! Will post pics of the process.

#23 ·
what is this "clean" word you speak of?

I take it apart every once in a while and clean all teh parts.. the frame.. i can spray it with water.. doesn't really matter to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.