Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

what do you guys have for an XC bike?

9K views 76 replies 53 participants last post by  balog 
#1 ·
I have a great set of XC trails at my disposal that i almost never ride, because I dont have the bike for it. So Im gonna get an XC bike or a bike that I will ride XC.

I ride XC country like I ride DH out of the seat and at a sprint (i can only ride for like an hour and a half) so a typical long stem high seat kinda bike is not gonna work. I rode xc last year on rental trek ex-7's (08 abp ones) and never really liked it ( i think it had a lot to do w. the stem and qr flex fest fork)

My current bike is a 35lb SC bullit. its a 7" bike but being pretty light it climbs fine, but I dog it out of corners and in flats when I ride it XC because it is too much travel.

So I want something snappy, light, and with a familiar 4x,dh,dj geometry on a bike that is meant to be pedaled.

I work at a santa cruz and trek dealer so something from them would be nice a heckler, remedy, or a hardtail?

I want to see what you if anything you guys are running maybe give me some ideas. Is a 6" all mtn/SS bike going to be to much or is hardtail going to be slow on the downhills and not as jumpable on trail.

See less See more
#8 ·
spxoo said:
Is a 6" all mtn/SS bike going to be to much
There can never be too much. My XC bike is a 38.5 pound Uzzi VPX.

If you want a good pedaling bike with a short cockpit then grab one of the Intense SS's that are going on blowout sale everywhere right now. I think Chainlove had them for 1100. The VPP would be more efficient at pedaling than your single pivot but still able to take the abuse of your current 7".

#9 ·
I don't have an assembled XC bike but when I do get it reassembled, it will be my 2003 RM Edge. It was my FR/SS bike up until last year when I stripped parts off it to use on the BR. Now that the BR has the parts that were intended for it on it, it's time to clean up and reassemble the Edge with new and working parts.
It weighed around 29 lbs with the DH bar, Thompson Shorty and those heavy ass slime tubes. It should weigh around 26 or 27 with light XC parts, and a shorter fork (than the Zoke DJ II) on it.

#10 ·
thump said:
There can never be too much. My XC bike is a 38.5 pound Uzzi VPX.

If you want a good pedaling bike with a short cockpit then grab one of the Intense SS's that are going on blowout sale everywhere right now. I think Chainlove had them for 1100. The VPP would be more efficient at pedaling than your single pivot but still able to take the abuse of your current 7".
Yeah there is such a thing as too much. what is the travel of a SS like 6.5" and usually weigh what 35lbs, sounds a lot like what I already have which is too slow or too much travel.

Im looking for another bike to be ridden almost strictly XC (DH backup). The XC trails where I live (kingdom trails, vt) are fast and twisty w. rolling hills. I need something snappy that pedals well very well, but still stout enough to be ridden fast and aggressively and jumped. set-up with a 20mm fork w. 140-160 travel and a 1x9 drivetrain

Im leaning more towards a short travel DJ/4x bike like a double. or a chromo hardtail. but is riding a jump bike XC fun at all.

I have a jump bike that I dont really like too, with some good parts on it, any thoughts on making it more trail friendly. Like some gears a travel adjust fork.

#13 ·
i ride my preston for primarily XC stuff but it can still rail just about anything. still kinda chubby though. maybe look into a covert if it's more of a dedicated XC rig. It's gonna be super durable too cuz it's a transition. just another thought. I really like my preston as an all around bike and don't mind the extra weight, makes the descents a lot more fun.

#15 ·
This is a great thread. This same conversation came up this weekend in my garage. I am trying to justify purchasing another bike, so I figured an XC bike would do it. I would like a light full suspension to rip around on some of the local XC trails here. Something that I can pedal, get in a little better shape, and most importantly something I would enjoy pedaling for hours. The Blur came up in the conversation, but I have never even seen one, more less have any input on one.. The blur "sounds" like a good candidate tho..

But I am mainly posting so I can get some ideas too.

#16 ·
well if you think your 7" bike is too much I'd say you'd have to look either in the heckler or blur 4X range of travel or a HT. If you are just looking to have fun on XC trails then I'd say you'd want something like a short travel Slope Style or DJ type rig. Just pick out something that you can get 2 chain rings on and a front brake.

But I do ride a Ibex Trophey that is a one size too small. I ended up picking up this bike after ripping my local buff XC loop on my 24". I went with the XC bike that is too small because it had a low bb and a steep HT, as I wanted something I that felt similar to my BMX rig.

But looking back on it I think something with a slacker HT might work out better.

#17 ·
our shop just recently picked up a foes xct-5 for a rental. we're a dh/fr shop so we built it up with like a 5in fox fork, and alot of lighter fr components. it's 34 pounds, so on the heavier side, but i couldn't believe how good it rides. i was able to beat xc riders on their 28lb carbon bikes and could still jump stuff. it's not too tall, and it just felt like a light FR bike that climbs amazing

#18 ·
ok ok. I think ive got it now. 5" trail bike with a travel adjust fork (pike or 36). and I will prolly get something that is like a 18", (i am 6' 2")

the blurs are nice no doubt. We have both a medium and large at the shop where I work. I think I would ride the large SC's with a short post and stem. they are super fun to ride around the parking lot. The builds we have are definitly xc with like 90mm stems and triple rings. but I think the trek ex's, for the money are much nicer. other bikes prolly a better deal too.

so theres an idea instead of a remedy a trek ex.8 with a bigger adjustable fork short stem and a chain guide. and in that bike a medium.

#19 ·
nmpearson said:
our shop just recently picked up a foes xct-5 for a rental. we're a dh/fr shop so we built it up with like a 5in fox fork, and alot of lighter fr components. it's 34 pounds, so on the heavier side, but i couldn't believe how good it rides. i was able to beat xc riders on their 28lb carbon bikes and could still jump stuff. it's not too tall, and it just felt like a light FR bike that climbs amazing
totally! the weight of my bullit doesnt slow me down much at all. I can keep up with most anyone on sustained climbs, but its in the flats and gradual pitches that I feel like the extra suspension is holding me back.

and I think with a 6" "all mountain" bike that is light enough to pedal up the hill and big enough to "tackle gnarly decents" isnt going to be leaps and strides better than my 7" freeride bike on XC.

#20 ·
gary fisher rig 29er. about the funnest bike i've ever owned for environments that don't have chairlift access or real jumps.

big wheels just monstertruck over the chunder, while being lite and nimble. singlespeed is way fun and low maintenance.

setup with a short stem, wide bars and platforms so it feel pretty natural going from the other bikes to the 29er.

#23 ·
spxoo said:
ok ok. I think ive got it now. 5" trail bike with a travel adjust fork (pike or 36). and I will prolly get something that is like a 18", (i am 6' 2")

the blurs are nice no doubt. We have both a medium and large at the shop where I work. I think I would ride the large SC's with a short post and stem. they are super fun to ride around the parking lot. The builds we have are definitly xc with like 90mm stems and triple rings. but I think the trek ex's, for the money are much nicer. other bikes prolly a better deal too.

so theres an idea instead of a remedy a trek ex.8 with a bigger adjustable fork short stem and a chain guide. and in that bike a medium.
Based on how you've been describing your riding and what you want out of your "XC" rig, I'd say whatever you get, make sure it has the geometry to be a fun bike to ride/jump.(I presume you really don't want a carbon hardtail with a 200mm stem and a seatpost specifically designed to be surgically joined to your posterior? :D )
I would have said Remedy or Blur LT for sure, out of the brands you listed - both can be built very light and pedal friendly, and still be up for it when you need to have a bit of a go....
The modified EX8 build you talk about there sounds closer to a Remedy anyways, and I think the Remedy will be a more "sorted" ride out of the box....for this kind of riding, anyway.

#25 ·
In March 08 I bought a Stumpy FSR for just this very purpose. I wanted something to rock the local XC trails with. I'll tell you - the FSR fits the bill for light, snappy, fast, pedalable - but I really have been impressed with the amount of thrashing it can take. I've done some kickers, drops, jumps, etc. as well as some blazing downs over surprising gnar. This bike took it all in stride... amazing. Raally a good choice if you can be comfortable on one. Go for a test ride!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.