Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Simple Green for cleaning bikes?

26K views 22 replies 19 participants last post by  One Pivot 
#1 ·
It works on my bike....Does it do anything to the frame or cosmetics? I don't let it get anywhere near the internals of my fork, brakes, etc.... I've heard of bike shops using it? What other cleaners do you guys recommend?

#7 ·
Simple Green used straight can etch soft metals(aluminum, magnesium) so spray it on, let it set for 5-10 minutes. Scrub it down and wash it off thoroughly.
Been washing my dirt bike to shiny newness for years.

#9 ·
I have taken apart alota freehub bodies that were full of rusty-nastyness that just reaked of simple green. It will penitrate the rear hub bearings when it gets like this. Hub ruined. Other than that I guess it is OK. I wouldnt use it.

#10 ·
I am more of a fan of just wiping a bike down with a wet rag....if the bike is covered in mud then a hose (not spraying by hubs, headset or cranks)

If you really need to clean a bike then tear it down, clean then rebuild it

#13 ·
I only use spray cleaners on my tires and downtube. I lightly spray the entire bike with water and then wipe clean. Its a lot easier on pivots and parts that need to keep their grease. I wash my bike after almost every ride and I ride 3-5 times a week in the summer.

#14 ·
Agreed with SMT and Kanter!
Spray lightly and wipe it down, I use an alcohol rag on rims and spokes and then WD 40 a rag and wipe frame. Its ano and looks shiny new + crap doesnt stick to it. If its Powder coat or paint on the frame use finesse it II or hand glaze by 3m its for Auto polishing. A little pricy but takes surface scratches etc out really well and alot better thant hte kragen/schucks/als auto supply places. Used to do custom fiberglass enclosures and paint at my shop in Vegas and the stuff is :thumbsup:

#15 ·
id call it a excellent degreaser and a piss poor bike wash. i soak chains and other tight tolerance or very dirty parts in straight simple green for up to 24 hours then hang dry or rinse with warm water and air dry without issue. depends on the situation and part. anything with seals gets a spray job and immediately rinsed.

at the shop, ill spray a 50/50 water/simple green mix on the dirty bits of a assembled bike but rinse it off thoroughly within 5 min. ive seen it dull anno if left on too long. the finish line bike wash works well for standard cleaning too but lacks the punch on the filthy stuff. pedros bike lust is a great spot cleaner and polish for painted bits.

as mentioned before, keep everything off rotors, rims and pads then clean accordingly.

G
#16 ·
Simple green ruins suspension bearings. After about 3 months of using SG, I noticed my frame making weird noises when I compress the suspension, turned out the bearings were seized up. Had to replace them (upgraded to Enduro MAX bearings). I'm staying away from that stuff for now. Dry brushing or just using degreaser and a light spray down.

#19 ·
simple green

Simple green works very well as a spray on cleaner you just need to dilute it to about 10 ounces of water for every ounce of simple green. Spray it on you bike using a spray bottle let sit for 5 min and rinse of with a low pressure hose. At a ten to one ratio simple green is not strong enough to act as a full on degreaser but is perfect for removing mud and dirt. I live on the east coast and ride in muddy conditions at least half the year and this method has worked for me for years.

This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.