Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Whats the word on Spank Rims?

2K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  Glynis27 
#1 ·
Spank are making some pimp lookin rims but there seems to be no word on how tuff they are. I have a hardtail which is screaming for a wheelset so she can roll again and the green subrosa are looking niiiiice. Is anyone putting Soank wheels through their paces?

#2 ·
haven't used them yet...but i'll be ordering a few pairs on monday. the tweet tweets are supposed to go in stock and they have a new rim tech that's supposed to make them 2x as strong as previously. the rims at 570g each so...as far as i can tell the lightest dj/street rim, and they come in black, blue, red, and purple

#7 ·
juan pablo said:
Summit
Did you order subrosa rims or one of the others. I am drooling over the green subrosa but on a hardtail doing street and smooth DH trails etc I am not sre if they will be enough?
Yeah the subrosa, it shipped today so I should have them end of the week, I hope. Everything I've read puts the subrosa in the realm of the DT 5.1 and similar rims as being a tough all-mtn/freeride rim that can be used for street/DJ. I'm going to use mine for trail/light DH, so it fit the bill for weight and anticipated burliness. I've destroyed 5.1's trail riding too easily.

#12 ·
Well I demolished the aforementioned 721s already (well just the rear). Spanks are still going strong, I am super impressed with these rims. I've beat the hell out of them this season, ridden them on flat tires, just the works. Maybe one tiny ding despite it all.

Quick pic from this past weekend:

#19 ·
Mine have been holding up very well for the past year. Just ordered a set of the Tweet Tweets for my new bike. They are super inexpensive now. I don't go as big as a lot of people here, but love a strong, stiff wheel. They are a bit tougher to get the tire on and off, but I can still do it with a single plastic lever. I have used Mutano 2.4, Stout 2.3, Prowler MX 2.3 and KRAD 2.3 tires on these rims. A true DH tire may be a bit more difficult to mount. I also tried my Velociraptor 2.1, but was unable to get it mounted. I think that had to do with using Velox cloth rim tape because I broke the original rim strip. The Velox is a bit too wide and thick.

#23 ·
Summit said:
Not an issue at all with my single-ply 2.4 Ardents. Requires a giant metal moto lever for dual-ply Minions. Total PITA.
I know what you're saying about the minions being a PIA to mount. Here's a little tip thought, helped me out, try spraying regular Windex on the bead and it really helps mount the tires. It lubricates to get it on and then evaporates as it is amonia/alchohol based.

#24 ·
ridefreeride said:
nice vagrant

no pedals?

how much are the subrosa's anyway?
Thanks!

Yea, I made the mistake of trying my clipless pedals on the Vagrant for my XC rides and loved it. Having only 1 set of clipless pedals, I had to share them between my 3 bikes, which meant swapping them daily. I now have 3 sets as that picture is fairly old. I never remember to take pics while out on the trail.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.