Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Upgrade question excuse the ignorance

1K views 43 replies 19 participants last post by  thomasmunka63@hotmail.com 
#1 ·
hello,

I am wondering what I should get for my bike to upgrade: http://www.rscycle.com/2009-Iron-Horse-Warrior-4-0 I know it isnt a downhill bike but I only weigh 90 lbs and I am not too hardcore. And it is really all I could afford. It is stock except a slightely shorter KORE stem and it came with a marzochi bomber mz comp fork instead of the one in the picture. Everything else is stock and i want to upgrade. brakes? For my birth day I can get 250 dollars worth max. You can look at the specs. The chain is slightely rusty right now but I just lubed it and I cant tell a difference. I want to know the first basic upgrade to this thing that has the most affect. I really like the back shock so I probably will stick with that. I dont really care how heavy it gets. Your advice on the basic upgrades that have the most drastice improvements whil still staying under 250 dollars total. Please dont come on and just say: That bike isnt even for downhill. I know it isnt but I am not gonna ride like sam hill or anything near that and I only weigh 90 lbs.

Edit: I have 35 dollars in my wallet should I drop it on these?: http://wheelworld.com/itemdetails.cfm?id=3480 Just front ones? I only really use front ones any way.

#4 ·
drain bamage said:
You mean make it a single ring in the front? Ok thanks I am not sure what this does to help can you tell me?
It'll save you problems in the long run, that's for sure. A sketchy cheap front derailleur isn't going to be able to put up with the abuses of downhill. Unless you're doing some climbing on your bike, I don't see a need for the front derailleur.

#5 ·
First thing you should worry about is the drive train, if everything is shifting good then no worries. If anything is giving you trouble, put money into that first. Second go with hydraulic disc brakes, not mechanical. Maybe some Juicy 3 or 5's since your pretty light. You can probably find a whole set of those for around $100-$150. Then I would get rid of the third sprocket ring in the front and put on a dual ring chain guide/ bashguard or just run one in the front.

This is all assuming that nothing on your bike is giving you problems.

#8 ·
drain bamage said:
I bouht the bike from these guys: http://www.rscycle.com/2009-Iron-Horse-Warrior-4-0 But I paid 550 and free shipping... What is the advantage of those juicy 3 brakes over my tektro iox disk brakes?
ok, investing 150 or more cha-chings in a 550$ bike is impractical (to me, anyway). I would sell this bike and get a better hardtail that has some awesome components... (ex: a used kona stinky with nice components off of ebay or craigslist).

--Nicco

#11 ·
Here is what I would do......I would save my money till I out-performed the bike......

Honestly the shock would be the first to go. I would want rebound.....then I would look at fork, one ring up front would be easy to do and then brakes

#12 ·
id say brakes and tires would be a good place to start if ya like the position on the bike. sounds like ya already messed with stem length and thats good. those tektro's have little to no power, modulation or long term dependibility so theyll do nuthin to make ya faster or get more control. looks like a post mount fork. too bad or id make ya a deal on some sweet magura hydro brakes.

a single ring and a chain guide would also be a excellent way to start creatin a dh rig from yer bike. theres some decent 1's out there that dont break the bank. i kinda like the old dual roller types for budget builds like the old truvative.

if ya dont have proper armor/helmets/etc, thats what id spend money on, not a bike or parts that put me further in danger of gettin hurt in a already dangerous sport. again, id love to help if i could. if ya werent so small, id make ya a deal on some top end dainese armor i just replaced.

edit: i just saw ya replaced the fork. if ya have IS mounts, pm me and ill fix that brake issue for next to nuthin. i dig helpin new riders.

#13 ·
Ok thanks. So does getting rid of the third chain ring Make it have less chain slap or does it somehow keep the chain on the proper chain ring better in rather rough conditions or landing higher jumps or drops?

Also the brakes: What do they improve (aubviously stopping power) I have plenty of stopping power... Do they give better modulation or what? How does that help on the trail?

#14 ·
in dh, chain slap is yer enemy. in excess, it means a lost chain and no fwd drive or worse, a locked up drivetrain. the goal is to eliminate as much as possible with small gears, a short chain and a guide that traps the chain on the single front gear. make sense so far?

brakes give control. as much power as ya think ya have, yer lacking in a big way. its been said the best ya know is the best ya have. for starters, imagine bein able to go into a corner faster and exit faster due to superior stopping power and the ability to control that power. brakes without modulation are like a light switch that goes to full power all at once or not at all. my experience says yers are the latter. i hope this helps and never be afraid to ask questions, its how we all learned this stuff ourselves.

#15 ·
I think it is a post mount fork...The mounts point towards the back of the bike. I will definatly look into some juicy brakes...And when these tires go bald some big meats. (2.3 inch on front and back?) Because right now the fronts are 2.3 inch and the backs are 2.1 inch tires... I will look for some big knobbies and get some armour... This is what the brake mounts look like on my fork...: https://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/...ch_mtb207/Fox_2008_fork_disc_brake_mounts.jpg

#17 ·
Bad thing is, May is my b day and I can either get mtb stuff or an electric guitar and amp I can't decide yet but I have plenty of time to decide. I also might get golf stuff...

Thanks cactuscorn....The day there is no snow in the mountains up at temple quary I am going up there... I can't wait but I will have to. I shoveled someone elses lawn that has like a 2-3 foot drop I just practice on when i am bored...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.