Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Dual Ring Chain Guides - What's the best?

12K views 50 replies 39 participants last post by  jeng 
#1 ·
I'm looking into getting a dual chain guide setup for my girlfriends 07 Bullit. I think the bike has ISCG 05 tabs but I'm not sure. Is it ISCG 05 or 03? What do you guys think is the best dual ring chain guide setup? Here is a few we were looking at.

e.13 - DRS

MRP - LRP

SC recommends Gamut, anybody know why? I don't see a Gamut dual ring system. They also don't recommend Taco style systems such as the industry leader LG1. What's up with that?

See less See more
#3 ·
E.13 have the DS, or the DSS, or the DRS and are about to update the whole line with there 'new look' which looks awesome!!!
I've gone single ring myself, and chosen the MRP G2 but otherwise i'd have gone with the DS as i already have a decent bashguard on my hones.

#5 ·
#9 ·
jeng said:
I'm looking into getting a dual chain guide setup for my girlfriends 07 Bullit. I think the bike has ISCG 05 tabs but I'm not sure. Is it ISCG 05 or 03? What do you guys think is the best dual ring chain guide setup? Here is a few we were looking at.

SC recommends Gamut, anybody know why? I don't see a Gamut dual ring system. They also don't recommend Taco style systems such as the industry leader LG1. What's up with that?
Carina's a ripper, she can push a single.

The Specialized SX Trail has Gamut Dual Ring Guide. If you ask you might be able to get one.

Santa Cruz is speccing Gamut single rings guides, so they know they will mount up with out having to do all kinds of body work to make it fit.

Not every guide mount on every bike.

#14 ·
the stinger is a deal and seems to work well as a b/bkt mount system. many of the turner crew dig em but be aware its a wide plate and can cause probs with frames/cranks/bb's that wont allow such a wide hunk of metal. the heim is a stellar unit but the roller leaves me a bit unhappy. when ya back pedal, it often rolls the chain to the next smallest ring, heim says it by design but i dont like it a bit. the mrp lrp roller works so much better and has a far more advanced bearing. the prom here is, the heim3 is hard to find now that e-13 bought them and the lrp roller is no more so this perfect combo is tough to come by. if ya do, youll pay a price but get the best system a 2 ring rider could ever ask for. period.

#16 ·
Just a friendly heads up, e.thirteen is coming out with an updated DRS and last I read, they should start showing up at distributors mid-February. Maybe phil/dw can correct me if I'm wrong. If you (or your girlfriend) can hold out until then, that's probably the "best" option.

FWIW, I had new 1st-generation DRS for a little while and it worked flawlessly. And I've set up a good dozen or so on longer-travel trail/freeride bikes with no problem. I like the stepped roller that the DRS uses. You gotta make sure you set it up correctly (duh!). The instructions that come with it are very helpful, so follow those carefully.

#17 ·
I have/had a DRS, and my roommates are running blackspire stingers. I feel like the action and setup on the DRS is alot better, it keeps the chain from flopping around a little better, keeps thing in place slightly better, but nothing is a huge difference. Just slightly better here and there.

We also managed to break the DRS, where the stinger is still going strong, but that could just be chance from hitting a rock harder with the DRS.

No comment on the MRP, haven't touched one in my life. e13 is good people, I like working with them.

#23 ·
Hey guys,
Just so you know...

Our steel version of the DRS has been out for a few weeks now, so most LBS's should be able to get ahold of one no problem. The next-generation 2009 DRS+ will have an entirely new and improved roller design and a much lighter overall weight to boot. It will be the ultimate bike park/all mountain two ring guide.

The DRS+ is still aiming for more of a summer release, but for a quick fix you certainly can't beat the steel version stuff. :thumbsup:

If you have any other questions, just shoot me an email. I check it every hour or two.

-philip @ e*thirteen

#24 ·
philw86 said:
Hey guys,
Just so you know...

Our steel version of the DRS has been out for a few weeks now, so most LBS's should be able to get ahold of one no problem. The next-generation 2009 DRS+ will have an entirely new and improved roller design and a much lighter overall weight to boot. It will be the ultimate bike park/all mountain two ring guide.

The DRS+ is still aiming for more of a summer release, but for a quick fix you certainly can't beat the steel version stuff. :thumbsup:

If you have any other questions, just shoot me an email. I check it every hour or two.

-philip @ e*thirteen
Phil, I'll ask here for everyone's benefit;

After getting our QBP catalog at the shop I was curious about the steel models vs. aluminum. Did you guys decide to use steel for a better price point? Strength? How do the weights compare between the 2 versions? :confused:

#26 ·
ok. i do like that new e13 guide.

im guessing all those holes round the bb area are all diff mounting areas so it fits on anything. you could mount it all crazy steep for one of them canfield thingamabobers. if you wanteded to, but you wouldnt have to cuz no top guide!

if/when i get a new guide, that might be the ticket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.