Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Pedal advice!

637 views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  Bike Doc 
#1 ·
So the bike i'm buying comes with Crank Bros. 50/50s, i know i don't want to ride them as i have heard of a lot of issues.. the problem is the only other pedals ive rode are block 8 platforms. I want durable as hell and excellence traction.. money is not an issue.. any suggestions?!

#14 ·
FM said:
Straitlines.....mine have been maintenance free, when I finally decided to pull them apart just out of curiosity, I found that it took less than 5 minutes to do both pedals, and no grease is required since they are self-lubricating.

You do need to grease the axle once and a while, at least that's the case with mine and a friend of mine who also runs them. They start to squeak eventually. Pop em open, rub some grease on the axle, reassemble and bingo bango, quite again. These pedals are actually too grippy for me though, and they ended up on my BMX bike since I don't wear 5.10s when riding it. With the 5.10s and the Straitlines I couldn't deal with how grippy they were, so I'm rocking some ancient MG-1s.

#15 ·
typx said:
how much are the straitlines?
You can get them for just over $100, try universal cycles and search for a discount code.

DHGnaR said:
You do need to grease the axle once and a while......
These pedals are actually too grippy for me though.
Yeah I threw a little grease in there. I was just surprised that the pedals were bone-dry and totally clean inside after 6 months of slop-free, quiet spinning. Thats longer than my last set of pedals lasted....And a 5 minute job too! I was impressed!

As for grip, I've seen people remove the middle rows of pins. You could put some lower profile set-screws in too.

#17 ·
a lot of these pedals are sick.. the deitys especially, but i love the easy maintenance on the straitlines.. and wam blam.. remove the mid pins and they are at a good grip it seems like.. the only other pedal im tyhinking about is the infamous brooklyn machine works vegi burgers.

#18 ·
Get yourself a pair of FlyPapers

They have a five year warranty that is not voided by jumping, racing, crashing, rental or commercial use or transfer of ownership. And they have just the right amount of grip.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.