Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

You REALLY arent going to ride your bike?

2K views 31 replies 24 participants last post by  Desert Pig 
#1 · (Edited)
So how many dh/fr'ers have been pushing your bike up a trail, and some xc a$$wipe says, "it would be easier to ride it" or "Are you really going to push your bike up a hill?"
Well it happened to me like 10 times last year!! They are on freaking 2" rear travel bikes, or even HARDtails in some little foam helmet and one piece speedo. Me and buddys are in full gear, full faces, and 7-8" travel bikes... It really makes me laugh that people think someone is all geared up to hill climb or xc. Some dude last year said "do you want me to pedal it for you?" I said sure, lets trade bike and then trade at the top of the hill... He said "Ohhh this bike is much harder to pedal, its a ss, you have gears" He thinks his ss hardtail was harder to pedal than a fr bike.. Anyways, I am pissed I am not pushing my bike up a hill listening to people comments! Cant wait till summer!!!!!!!! :D

G
#2 ·
Let's just ride and let ride. Screw what other people think. I've been known to frequent my local XC trails with group big bike rides sessioning lines and such with gear (mostly just knee pads). At first the weird looks and odd comments were kinda embarrassing but eventually, you just realize that you're there to do the exact same thing those guys are: riding your bike.

You're just having fun on your bike a different way than they are. You're not riding your bike for others' approval. So what if they give you crap. Revel in the fact that once things starts pointing down hill, you'll be in a better and more comfortable position than the XC pain-loving, climb-freak on his full rigid single speed.

XC or DH, it's essentially the same at the core.

#4 ·
It seems to be a different story when a Downhill rider goes by some XC riders downhill... XC FAIL.

Originally Posted by cyclingnews.com/Sam Jurekovic
"There's a section where the downhill course and cross country course are parallel," Jurekovic said. "There was a downhiller just practicing who came into my field of vision and kind of freaked me out...like he was going to hit me. I just took my eye off the road."

But in all seriousness there are a**holes on either side of the spectrum of mountain biking...who cares.

#5 · (Edited)
I dont think its one vs the other.. I like to ride bikes no matter what it is. I have a all-mountain bike that I xc all the time.. (usually with my dad or wife, lol) but I still enjoy it. I am really into endurance training and I like to pedal hills.. I am not againts xc or other riding styles, just think its funny when people have to try and make comments over something they know nothing about. Just wondering if anyone else couldnt help laugh when people think they could hop on your dh/fr bike and pedal to the top of a 2-3 mile climb.

#9 ·
funniest story and true

roaming Oregon is on a 40 pound dh bike wearing levis and knee guards underneath....he has a full face helmet and backpack....he ask this guy if he can suck his wheel up this long hill....it is a regular twisting road up the hill.....the guy is all decked out in fancy lycra road gear and an over $5000.00 Carbon bike....the guy laughs and says sure(he thinks no way this guy is going to stick)

Well half way up roaming ask him if he wants to suck his wheel and the guy says yeah right....roaming passes him and precedes to ditch him...by the time makes it to the top of the hill roaming has already loaded his bike into the back of his truck...

man I love that story

#11 ·
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
funniest story and true

roaming Oregon is on a 40 pound dh bike wearing levis and knee guards underneath....he has a full face helmet and backpack....he ask this guy if he can suck his wheel up this long hill....it is a regular twisting road up the hill.....the guy is all decked out in fancy lycra road gear and an over $5000.00 Carbon bike....the guy laughs and says sure(he thinks no way this guy is going to stick)

Well half way up roaming ask him if he wants to suck his wheel and the guy says yeah right....roaming passes him and precedes to ditch him...by the time makes it to the top of the hill roaming has already loaded his bike into the back of his truck...

man I love that story
What in the world does "suck his wheel" mean? I might be loosing it here, but I am completely lost with this story.... Please explain.:D

#12 ·
Even at speeds low enough that drafting doesn't come into play riding just behind someone's rear wheel still provides a mental motivation and pace setting that helps a rider maintain a fast, steady speed. Two riders switching possition often pull away from a single chaser in race situations.
And yeah, "sucking his wheel" is nerdy bike racer (roadie) lingo.

#17 ·
You are just adding fuel to the fire with comments like that.Its just human nature to put others down on a bike or not.Trouble is everyone gets sensitive when critisized by someone else who should mind there own F......g buisness.Who cares about what bike you ride,get a life.By the way i am 40years old and have ridden dirt jumps,freeride and now i ride xc because my body will not take abuse like it used too.You will be there one day.

#20 ·
I just tell them I got enough climbing in when I went to the 2004 Olympic Trials as a roadie. :thumbsup:

People just like to tear you down for no reason. It sucks, but it's predictable and easy to ignore. I am really competitive, I like to be strong going up AND down. That way I can make fun of EVERYBODY, which is pretty much where it's at. ;)

But seriously, I would never talk **** to an XC rider when I catch him on a climb on my DH bike, just like I don't bust on DH kids when I pass them going downhill on my hardtail XC bike. It's more fun when you don't say anything but "hey"

#21 ·
If it helps, I get heckled by XC guys all the time (I am pretty much just an XC guy) because I ride their XC trails with a CX. I also DH with a 2003 Enduro and get heckled by DH guys too for having a "gimpy" rig.

You run into elitists everywhere, better to just laugh and continue on your way. You are as good as you are and you do what you want to do. If you are breaking some kind of "you have to pedal up this climb" rule then fine ... heckle away; until then, those people can kiss my butt.

#23 ·
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
funniest story and true

man I love that story
That is why I put a Rohloff on my Bullit. That way I can climb most any thing.

#25 ·
Here is another funny story...

I was on the big bike up in the hills.....mostly XC trails that you can flat out bomb....I was at the top getting ready to go down and

this XC rider asked me "where can you ride that???"

I looked up, then to my right, then to my left...then walked over to the edge and looked down....then I walked right up to his face and said

"ANYWHERE THE FVCK I WANT !!!!"

he was speechless

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.