Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Hmmmm.... Reckon SRAM will do this?

869 views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  markw1970 
#1 ·
Hi all
2 weeks back, picked up a 2008 Jamis Parker 3 for the disgustingly low price of $1500 AUD (Thats $958 US for a brand new 08 :eek: )

Anyway, i was super excited to try the lyric, however i soon read about the amount of problems people had with bushing slop, and bingo, as if by magic, mine packed it up and started slopping all over the place (So much for the f%^king powerbuldges :madman: ). When you ride 08 Marzocchi, you get used to this, but on the lyric it feels worse.
Now ive read that most of the lowers that SRAM sends back for replacement have bushing slop aswell. As far as im aware, this slop isnt present in the domains, and the lowers on the domains are identical to the Lyrics. Do you think that SRAM will replace the lyric lowers with that of the domains?

ok, gotta get this rant off my chest:mad:

This bushing slop makes me wonder how much material supports the bushings of todays forks, apparently not much, why?, to save motherf%^king 87.75739346394873 grams of f^&king weight:madman: the weight of a couple of credit cards in your wallet. Has the DH/FR community become as vain as road and xc weight weenies?, do people actually think that 87 grams of weight loss makes a sizable difference? that it will get you across that finish line quicker? Jesus, go take a sh!t before your race, 300-800 gram weight saving:skep: you'll feel better to.
God i wish we could go back to the freeride days of the early 2000's. People didn't care about how much there rig weighed, just throw it off the cliff and see what happens. While on a recent trip i got to ride a 03-04 shiver, and all i can say is wow. Weighed alot, but i didn't care at all, the thing was mechanical art, built like a brick sh!thouse, ploughed through anything that was inf ront of it. Hell place a small child in front and you wouldn't feel the impact. No bushing slop, no creeking hardware, no leaking seals, how about we bring back the days in which weight wasn't an issue. What did we get, durabiltity. You all have thought of it at one stage, example, how many of you's liked 00-06 marzocchi? 07 maybe was ok, then bam!, down the crapper for 08, and looking like it for 09. Another example, Rockshox this time. Think of the domain, lyric and totem. How many problems have been reported with the fancy, complex lyric and totem? especially the air sprung (my absolute hate) models. Now think of the domain, no ********. Simple, easy to use, and tough as nails. many happy customers
I hope that one day companies will stop gloating about how there new fork saves 43.73932820328 grams through the use of thinner lowers or carbon fibre (GAAAAAH :madman: ) parts over last years fork, and start gloating about how they ploughed it through rock gardens the size of the grand canyon, drowned it in 2 metres of water, thrown it off Burj Dubai and took it for a DH run down Mt Everest, and yet it came fighting back for more, despite being 500grams heavier (Weight of average turd)

ok rant over, flame if u wish:thumbsup:

See less See more
#2 ·
I agree with everything you're saying.

Now, no I do not think sram will replace the lyrik lowers with domain lowers. However, depending on the condition of your fork, why not just sell it as soon as it get back from sram. Even if you get 50% of its value you should be able to get a domain for that money

#3 ·
dascro said:
I agree with everything you're saying.

Now, no I do not think sram will replace the lyrik lowers with domain lowers. However, depending on the condition of your fork, why not just sell it as soon as it get back from sram. Even if you get 50% of its value you should be able to get a domain for that money
Word.

#4 ·
I'm on my 5th Lyrik with bushing slop (among other things, like 2 blown dampers, 1 creaking crown and 2 failed 2-step carts).

I'm not sure of this, but the Domain lowers seem to be exactly the same as the Lyrik ones (same material, same external appearance, as far as I can tell).

What are definitely different are the stanchions, and I bet that if anything the bushing slop is coming from undersized stanchions on the Lyrik. This is, of course, assuming that Domains don't have bushing slop. Maybe they have, but since they are cheaper, people don't care about it.

#6 ·
My Domain is as tight as a senior citizen living on social security. When I got it I was concerned that I would get frustrated by the lack of adjust ability but it has been quite the opposite. Set it and forget it. The only knob you ever need to use is the compression dampening which is the ONLY knob on the top of the damn thing. I think it works brilliantly. My bike weighs 41lbs but I could care less. If I need to ride up a hill I have another bike for that.

Set it and forget it = me a big fan

#11 ·
Clutchman83 said:
Yeah, sell the Lyric and pony up for a Wotan. If you want a solid fork that doesn't give anything up to save weight that's the one to get.
Wotan = flexy and really poor dampening. I was not impressed by that fork at all. As much as I hate to say Fox... They do have that miraculous 36 Vanilla that is easy to use, more plush than an otters pocket and is pretty darn reliable.

#12 ·
Nick_M2R said:
... While on a recent trip I got to ride a 03-04 shiver, and all I can say is wow. Weighed a lot, but I didn't care at all, the thing was mechanical art, built like a brick sh!thouse, ploughed through anything that was in front of it. Hell place a small child in front and you wouldn't feel the impact. No bushing slop, no creaking hardware, no leaking seals, how about we bring back the days in which weight wasn't an issue. ...
There is a reason I've kept all my Marzocchi coil forks! Atom Race -> Super Monster. Will never part with my shivers! BTW my shiver is about 0.2 lbs heavier than an '09 888 RC3. I'll probably get an 888 ATA at some point, since I like the adjustability features. The demand for feather light DH components by riders has resulted in some tradeoffs. I blew out my triple crown Future Fork pretty quickly. But we all know it had issues and is not a FR fork.

On race day throw on the trick components. But first remove weight were it counts: yourself. Besides it'll make you a better rider. :thumbsup:

#15 ·
his dudeness said:
Wotan = flexy and really poor dampening. I was not impressed by that fork at all. As much as I hate to say Fox... They do have that miraculous 36 Vanilla that is easy to use, more plush than an otters pocket and is pretty darn reliable.
Uhh, I question if you've actually ridden one if you would describe it as flexy :skep: . It's the stiffest single crown fork I've ever ridden. The damping is comparable to a Fox R cartridge IMO. The older ones had a port-orifice Albert Select cart but 07 and newer have a shim stack.

If you want adjustability then a Fox with an RC2 is good but the Wotan is absolutely not flexy and does not have poor damping. :rolleyes:

#17 ·
Clutchman83 said:
Uhh, I question if you've actually ridden one if you would describe it as flexy :skep: . It's the stiffest single crown fork I've ever ridden. The damping is comparable to a Fox R cartridge IMO. The older ones had a port-orifice Albert Select cart but 07 and newer have a shim stack.

If you want adjustability then a Fox with an RC2 is good but the Wotan is absolutely not flexy and does not have poor damping. :rolleyes:
The three that I rode were flexy... then again the three I rode were pre-production. But that pretty much had made up my mind by then

#18 ·
Funniest post for ages... I love ranting. In the UK we have a tv programme "Grumpy Old Men"... apparently when you get between 35 - 60 you reach grumpy old man status. In your twenties, you feel like you can change the world - then from late 30's you think I don't give a damn, it's all gone to pot... then you decline into miserable grumpiness! I love it - love a good rant with a mate over an over-priced coffee. Keep up the posts - brilliant : )

PS I lived through the crap early days of mountain biking when every idiot went weight weenie... then parts broke. You're 100% correct, this in nonsense for anything freeride, downhill.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.