Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Where to Camp at whistler?

12K views 37 replies 27 participants last post by  yoterryh 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

Looking into planning a big trip to whistler this summer and I'm trying to find the best place to camp. the only place i found so far was the riverside RV resort and campground and it looks like they've shut down all their tent camping sites. Any one have any other helpful info for good places to camp around the whistler area?

#4 ·
#9 ·
Maybe I'm not "knarcore" enough, but after beating the crap out of myself in the bike park the last thing I want to do is sleep in the woods... After a day of non-stop jumping and DH, nothing beats a immediate shower, a meal, and a night in the village getting good and tanked.

You're in MTB paradise. Treat yourself and get a room. It's worth it...

#12 ·
Wow, you guys are pretty soft. After a rough day of no climbing and getting power naps on the quad chair, can't be bothered with sleeping in a tent?
:rolleyes:

Here's a tip: If your sleeping bag isn't comfortable, perhaps try another apertif ;)

a VAN is obviously the cheapest, bestest sleeping option in whistler. preferebaly stocked with american micro-brew, jager, and tasty & cheap breakfast options.
I really can't relate to folks dropping $700+ a day on lifts, food, beer, lodging, lift tickets and chachki at whistler. Spend less, go more often!

The lakes are perfect for free bathing, and yes there are more scenic places to "park" than lot 4.

Attachments

#17 ·
thanks for the replies. I've done the condo thing and while yes, it is great to come back to a shower etc, etc. i'm trying to figure out a way to get more than 1 trip up this year and spread the budget out. My wife comes too, so dropping 600 bones between the two of us on a condo more than once a season isn't really an option...I'm sure we'll do that once as a "nicer" more relaxing trip, but i was thinking about a camping trip for mainly just the guys to head up and make the trip as cheap as possible, i'd rather get mroe trips and riding time then spend all my money on 3 days of riding, ya know?

#18 ·
there is free camping along the river towards Pemberton. The main issue you have to deal with is the mosquitos. But I prefer to camp as well. Would I love to be in a condo in the village? Of course! but if I stayed in a hotel every weekend or holiday away I would have to go a fraction of the time or sell some gear to fund it.

More trips = more fun and let's you splurge occasionally on a hotel if the weather is crap.

#21 ·
Camping south of town.

Brandywine Falls.
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/brandywine_falls/

Further south and closer to Squamish is Alice Lake. Plus, there's riding right from the campground at Alice Lake. It would take more driving however.....probably 30 minutes if there's no major construction delays.
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/alice_lk/

Camping north of town (towards Pemberton) is Nairn Falls.
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/nairn_falls/

Also worth considering is the hostile that is on Alta Lake. Cheap room accommodations and the option of private or group rooms. It's a fairly easy spin to the park on the valley trails, plus, it's on right on the lake and has canoes and swimming.
http://www.hihostels.ca/pm/en/whistlerhostel.aspx?sortcode=2.15

Cheers,
EB

#26 ·
zzsean said:
there is free camping along the river towards Pemberton. The main issue you have to deal with is the mosquitos. But I prefer to camp as well. Would I love to be in a condo in the village? Of course! but if I stayed in a hotel every weekend or holiday away I would have to go a fraction of the time or sell some gear to fund it.

More trips = more fun and let's you splurge occasionally on a hotel if the weather is crap.
There's a campsite coming from Squamish on the right (on the river) after the road crosses the railroad tracks before you get into town (before Function Junction). Don't remember the name, but it was about $5/day if I recall correctly. No amenities except grills and outhouses. Yes, and the mosquitos are evil there.

Also heard a rumor of guerilla camping in the area for free, but that's pure unconfirmed rumor, eh?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.