Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Smoke free bands in my town. What about yours??

1K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  J-mizzle 
#1 ·
As of tonight my small city of Fayetteville, AR has passed a smoke free ban for all resturaunts and bowling alleys and pretty much all other public places except bars. I think this is a great thing for our town and the people. The vote went 52% to 48% a close call. Some may call it a little non democratic but since the people voted on it im all for. I hate smoking and this should make our town/city even cleaner. Anyone else worried about the endangerment to their health from a second hand smoker and has anything like this happend in places you know?

thanks- those damned liberals hahaha

#2 ·
biker3 said:
As of tonight my small city of Fayetteville, AR has passed a smoke free ban for all resturaunts and bowling alleys and pretty much all other public places except bars. I think this is a great thing for our town and the people. The vote went 52% to 48% a close call. Some may call it a little non democratic but since the people voted on it im all for. I hate smoking and this should make our town/city even cleaner. Anyone else worried about the endangerment to their health from a second hand smoker and has anything like this happend in places you know?

you guys get to vote on that? Up north those bans have come (and some gone) on either provincially wide or city wide basis. Some places even are banning smoking in bars, which not surprinsingly pisses peeps off the most. Its not like drinkings good for you either...

#4 ·
It's been illigal in Cali to smoke in restaraunts for a while now, maybe since the mid '90's. The big one was in...'99? when they made it illigal to smoke in bars. That got some peoples attention! You can still find a few hole in the wall bars where they let people smoke on the under, but the fines are pretty stiff for the patron and the bartender. I used to smoke, so I know that craving when you've had a few drinks, but it's better now for the non-smokers, and bottom line I quit so.. I basically dont give a s%*t. Kinda funny seeing people standing outside the bar in the worst weather ( you know what crazy winters we have here in Cal.) just to have a smoke.

The lesson? If you're going to smoke, smoke something green. At least you get something out of it! :cool:

#5 ·
Ya, we have that in Vancouver...

The B.C. Workers' Compensation Board (similar to OSHA in the US) placed a ban on smoking in all public places about 5 years ago. The ban was repealed due to a technicality, but it's pretty much back in again. I'm not sure to what extent it's in effect now, but you don't have smoking in restaurants and pubs which is pretty cool. I certainly notice it when I go somewhere else that allows smoking inside.

5 years ago I was at this small town pub that was giving away a free cigarette with every meal in active defiance of the ban. I was there again last weekend - everybody was smoking outside.

#6 ·
In NYC they passed the No Smoking ANYWHERE law (thank you f**king Bloomberg) and bar income is down something like 30-40%. As if NYC wasn't in enough economic trouble without Bloomy imposing his personal beliefs into this. Geez, if patrons want to smoke, and the bar owner wants to allow it, why should a disgruntled minority be allowed to impose their feelings on everyone else?? There were smoke-free bars and restaurants before, and anyone who didn't want to be in a smokey environment could have gone there... don't know whether its the liberals or the uber-conservatives who are shoving morality down everyone's throats. :mad:

</rant>

dante

#7 ·
that's sweet that they passed no smoking laws on the places where people who really care about their health might go... But it seems that the ban on smoking at bars is a bit over the edge, like zedro said, not like drinking is any good for you either. Another good point made was that if you don't like the smoke, go somewhere else...

#8 ·
liberals and conservatives shove morality ...

... down everyone's throats, my friend. its never just been one or the other. speaking of which...

i do like the smoking ban thing. drinking is one thing as it just effects your health - and not nearly the same way that smoking does. this isn't to say that i wasn't pissed the other day when some dude choked on his beer and cough-sprayed it all over me, but...

smoking though - it's that whole second-hand thing. i mean, you want to **** up your own lungs, that's your business. but don't expect the rest of us to be thrilled, and i like to frequent bars, restaurants, pubs, etc as much as anybody who does smoke.

btw, my wife was just reading a science/health journal at work that says smoking among people 25 'n under is down something like 53% since 1985. but obesity is up 18%. you know a fat tax is next ... the canadian gov't already makes smokers pay out of their asses; give it 5 years and i'd bet big macs will go that way too. gotta love making a buck of people's vices.

#11 ·
JimC. said:
liquor laws there? Last time I was an F-ville at a pasta joint all I could get was hard liquor, no wine. WTF is up with that? Hope you fixed it? Jim
JimC,

What were you doing down in are piece of paradise? But to my knowledge-only being 15-you must have certain licenses to sell certain liquors on certain days. Some places like Tims Pizza can't sell any alchol on sunday and some places can if they have an expensive special license. All liquor stores are also closed on Sunday.

-TS

#12 ·
Whelp

I had to do some Wally world business, about 10 years back. They were invading Canada. They have done that and I haven't had the opportunity to get back there. Seems a nice bit of countryside, except I recall passing a few (chicken?) farms that took more than my breath away.

Jim

#13 ·
JimC. said:
I had to do some Wally world business, about 10 years back. They were invading Canada. They have done that and I haven't had the opportunity to get back there. Seems a nice bit of countryside, except I recall passing a few (chicken?) farms that took more than my breath away.

Jim
Hahahahahah, Wally World eats **** and should be shut down for many many reasons. Wally has invaded everywhere and ruins small towns everywhere. A few chicken farms is an understatement-Tyson and Georges HQ are up in Springdale so there chicken houses everywhere...doesnt stink in town though but once you head in any direction theres one about every mile or so. Come back down and if you bring the V-tach i'll give you food and a place to sleep for free.

-TS

#14 ·
thanks for the offer

but I think I'd be better off on my trail bike wouldn't I? Nearly died last year dragging the Bullit all over WA, OR, and Northern CA, the Enduro would have been poifect.

Or you could come up and fall down on our dirt?

Later Jim

#15 ·
JimC. said:
but I think I'd be better off on my trail bike wouldn't I? Nearly died last year dragging the Bullit all over WA, OR, and Northern CA, the Enduro would have been poifect.

Or you could come up and fall down on our dirt?

Later Jim
Yea id love to head up Canada and ride Whistler/Vancouver area. Never been there before but i've seen all that North Shore jazz and it looks badA. Might make my way up there in late summer if i can.

-TS

#16 ·
I cant stand smokers...

smokers are the most inconsiderated slefish people on the planet. All they are interested in is getting their nicotene high. Dont care about other peoples health and when they say they cant quit... Just say why did u start in the first place dumbass!!! I noticed that quebecers are the works for smoking(no offence great place still!) but that is becasue they tend to do things their own way instead of the way the rest of canada does it and thats cool!!! But come on guys its definitely a good thing and I would know cuz mee pappy is a cancer researcher...

#17 ·
finchy said:
smokers are the most inconsiderated slefish people on the planet. All they are interested in is getting their nicotene high. Dont care about other peoples health and when they say they cant quit... Just say why did u start in the first place dumbass!!! .
only a non-smoker could come up with such an argument. Smoking starts when your young, you know the age when you think your indestructable, rebelious, in control so you can quit anytime, oh gee i only smoke socially i'll never get hooked. I'd say 90% of smokers never made a concience effort to start smoking; its something they tried once, then twice, then...

As far as bars go, let the market rule. If its profitable to have a non-smoking bar, then do it. I mean its kinda selfish for non-smokers to enforce themselves over private buisnesses; just dont go there!

#18 ·
biker3 said:
Anyone else worried about the endangerment to their health from a second hand smoker and has anything like this happend in places you know?

I'm much more worried about pollution from cars and industries. Smog sucks, so do ozone warning days in the Summer where I can't bike without getting an asthma attack because it's so bad. Or the fact that the air in the Blue Ridge Mtns is so hazy in the Summer that you can't even see other mountains a mile away, because of the coal burning power plants in our neighboring states.

I've never smoked a cig in my life, and don't really like how they smell, but it seems like the data that shows secondhand smoke is dangerous to my health is not strong. It's 99% politically motivated imo.

#20 ·
Compelled to say this

zedro said:
only a non-smoker could come up with such an argument. Smoking starts when your young, you know the age when you think your indestructable, rebelious, in control so you can quit anytime, oh gee i only smoke socially i'll never get hooked. I'd say 90% of smokers never made a concience effort to start smoking; its something they tried once, then twice, then...

As far as bars go, let the market rule. If its profitable to have a non-smoking bar, then do it. I mean its kinda selfish for non-smokers to enforce themselves over private buisnesses; just dont go there!
I agree; I wacthed a lot of my friends start in HS, I didn't starting smoking untill my 21st birthday. That was the month I got out of the service and 2 months after I got home from Nam. I had that same attitude; I was indestructable after 8 months in that place I didn't worry about killing myself smoking.
Today it's different smoking is holding me back from doing something I love. So it's time to quit! In Oregon you can't smoke in bars, an most other places. Plus cigarettes are looked down on now days. Not like when I was a kid, and everybody had a cigarette hanging out of there mouths.
Think about this, if goverment can tell you where and when to smoke, I wonder how long it's going to be before there telling you where and when you can drink, or anything else they decide that to dangerous for us to do around other's. One thing comes to mind, DH bike riding all those hikers get togather an band that sport because it to dangerous to others! Now what??? :confused:

#22 ·

Or you coould come to Vegas ride Bootleg, smoke, and get the easy *****es on the strip. Not to metion first class freakin strip joints. Vegas is very near what heaven must be like!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.