Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Newb

683 views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  cactuscorn 
#1 ·
hey
im trying to start to get into downhill because ive always wanted too, but ive never had the right tool to do so. So i really need some guidance on a new DH rig. Just one problem: im poor. I was looking at an 08 kona stinky and kona stab. i dont know if theres any other bikes out there in the lower $2000ish range or whatever but iwould like to find a low price. im tall too (6'4) so i was looking for larger frames. Basically IM LOST! Can someone help?... please...thanks.

#3 ·
yep. a few tips i can think of off the top of my head. dont settle for the wrong size or type of bike or youll buy twice and loose money. get what you need, not whats cool. budget in a helmet and armor, gloves, shoes, etc cuz a nice dinner does ya no good without silverware and a napkin. used bikes are a crap shoot, dh rigs in particular get thrashed hard so go into a used bike carefully. count on some stuff goin bad and not knowin till later but that doesnt mean ya shouldnt know what yer buyin now.

you should be able to find a pretty nice dh sled for 2k. a stab would be a great place to start and give ya a chassis worth upgrading. good luck and have a blast!

#4 ·
i probably should have said im looking for a FR/DH bike. and also, my only choices arent the konas i was just looking at those because of price. also i thought the '07 and earlier stinkys were konas' DH bike before the Stab came into play. i might be wrong.

#6 ·
the stab may not be a grandpa yet, but its a uncle. late '90's i think.

a fr bike and a dh bike are diff animals but they can be combined to a point. be prepared to make comprimises. its either gonna go down like a rocket and up like a foundation or somewhere in between on both fronts. what im sayin is fr bikes make fine beginner dh bikes but dh bikes make lousy fr bikes. its the geo, weight, gearing, rider position, lack of ft der use, etc.

#7 ·
i think the konas are damn good for the money and the house branded stuff may be heavy but it doesnt suck. overall, a very nice production fr bike, the stinky series is. its easy to do alot worse. a trek session may not be all bad either. solid frame and the bonty bits are better than most give em credit for.

#8 ·
I was thinking about this:
http://wheelworld.com/itemdetails.cfm?id=4960

and setting it up with this kit:
http://wheelworld.com/itemdetails.cfm?id=2898
But I know these parts are some of the cheapest options/may not be very reliable. the frame is nice but the kit looks sketchy. At this point i dont know if it would be better but im considering waiting awhile for some more money so i can maybe haves som better choices. also i have few bike dealers around and none with kona so i really would be "buying blind" as far as fit goes. thanks for the tips by the way.

#10 ·
pdub660 said:

But I know these parts are some of the cheapest options/may not be very reliable. the frame is nice but the kit looks sketchy. At this point i dont know if it would be better but im considering waiting awhile for some more money so i can maybe haves som better choices. also i have few bike dealers around and none with kona so i really would be "buying blind" as far as fit goes. thanks for the tips by the way.
You'll have a blast on that bike. The parts will be fine, just a bit heaver. Just replace as you go. Building a bike is a lot of fun too!

#14 ·
pdub660 said:

that's a great build, especially if you're starting out:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

the only thing I would change is: ditch the front derailleur and get a chain guide

#15 ·
kona makes a XL stinky let alone an XXL stinky.

like everyone says size is important. Im 6'2" and for a Freeride or DH bike I would ride a MEDIUM in most all brands. not to say you wouldnt fit on XL but I would find one at a shop to throw a leg over before you pull the trigger.

but most everyone i ride with sizes down from their xc bikes

#17 ·
spxoo said:
kona makes a XL stinky let alone an XXL stinky.

like everyone says size is important. Im 6'2" and for a Freeride or DH bike I would ride a MEDIUM in most all brands. not to say you wouldnt fit on XL but I would find one at a shop to throw a leg over before you pull the trigger.

but most everyone i ride with sizes down from their xc bikes
I was wondering about that. I was thinking about the XL but i wasnt really sure if that was going to be too big. Also i believe the frames come in half inch increments. is a 16" way different than a 17" or a 16.5" for that matter? im assuming that its not that noticable.

#18 ·
Those parts a the stock parts from a 07 stinky.
Mate you'll have a blast on that frame and parts, its a great starting combo and when your skill gets better, chop and change parts as you go. One thing would be to drop the FD and get a chainguide, or if you really want a FD, try a dual ring chainguide, like a DRS or truvativ shift guide.
Geez, i wish i could get a brand new 07 stinky frame for $599 here in Australia.....

#19 ·
speakin of chain guides, since ya wanna do dh and fr ya may wanna go with a tensioner rather than a single ring and guide. my fave by a mile is the heim 3 with a mrp lrp roller. the stock heim roller kinda sux a bit and the mrp version bolts right on without mods and will wear, roll and guide many times better. now heres the bad news. e-13 recently aquiered heim and is in the process of a redesign so its tough to get 1.

if that didnt piss all over yer shoes, mrp is no longer makin the lrp roller. youll have to shop both to get this superior setup. e-13 may fix the roller issue so theres that but i dont know when. ive done a dh race with it and it worked ok. not as solid as a real guide but workable with the stock roller since ya will need yer big ring if ya use a 11/34 in back. the sharpie marks are for a quick visual to make sure the roller is workin. now it sports 3 marks around the roller split in 3rds. easy to spot at speed.

also, dump the 34 for a 36t ring and add a bash guard. still waitin to hear from ya on the parts thing. drop me a email at the addy i pm'ed ya. heres some pics.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.