Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Freeride Hardtail Frames--WHERE THE HELL ARE THEY?

12K views 35 replies 27 participants last post by  Jekyll_Jockey 
#1 ·
So who is still making aluminum freeride hardtail frames?

Seems they are on the endangered species list and frame companies are all going back to steel. What gives man?

#6 ·
Khemical said:
The real reason is everyone is focusing on 4-6" travel Slope-Style bikes...that's what sells videos right now.
So true.

My lovely hardrock has provided me with years of FR rides. It's not meant for it by any means, but damn if it doesn't take a beating.

#10 · (Edited)
I like the look of that TransAM. Nice looking bike. I've steered cleared of steel due to frame makers I've talked with saying AL is a much better material for true FR. Stiffer frame, can handle the abuse more. Personally, dunno...I just ride bikes, do not build them...that's for the frame guys. Defiantly better options for steel, but I do love a solid AL frame. Probably going to hit up Cove bikes and get a Stiffee. Always wanted a Cove bike, they are pretty bad ass.

#11 ·
oh my bad i wasnt reading close enough i listed some steel bikes too, i think steel provides a better ride, i ride a steel dj/mild dh and fr hardtail with a 100mm fork and it feels supple-er if thats a word lol.

try to find a transition vagrant used or a few years old new if you are looking for an aluminum FR hardtail, in my opinion it sets the standard for a DH/FR hardtail

#12 ·
The Vagrant is what I would've bought if I could afford it. I ended up getting the Jamis Komodo. The Iron Horse Chimpira is another good aluminum HT if you can find one. Blew out the derailleur hanger on my Komodo so she's waiting until the new one arrives.

#16 ·
i really need to borrow someones digital camera so i can post pics of my azonic steelhead, fun as hell to ride, ive taking it down several technical downhill trails over in santa cruz, with a single brake, im gonna buy a front brake so i can ride it even faster

G
#18 ·
The days of the big bruising AL FR hardtails are numbered. Evil no longer makes the Imperial, Transition no longer makes the Vagrant, Soul Cycles no longer makes the Sluggo. About the only one that is tried and tested is the Banshee Morphine, which is a killer biker.:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.