Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Why do you like Freeride/DH?

2K views 54 replies 43 participants last post by  entrophize5150 
#1 ·
What draws you to riding FR/DH? Do you prefer XC, or AM style riding, but just do FR/DH in your free time? Or are you primarily a FR/DH riding, who rides XC/AM to stay in shape for DH? :confused:

Basically, why do you love FR/DH so much?

Simple question, but I'm sure some of the responses will be large-and-in-charge.

I guess I love the speed, and the mental skill it takes to "let go" while staying in control. I love the technical aspect of it. The challenge of the next big drop, huck, or the next fastest line.:thumbsup:

#4 ·
I'm a XC racer from Mid-Missouri and the nearest downhill is about 2 states west of me.

But that doesn’t stop me from hitting Keystone, WP, or Whistler once or twice a year

I love downhill for the speed, the danger, the challenge, and the thrill. What more can you ask for?

#5 ·
I ride down hills because it's fun. There's that thrill of speed and having the skill level to obtain it and maintain it for the duration of a run. I love hitting a nice bermed corner low and sprinting out of it only to find a medium sized jump and an S-turn after. I love pedaling a big bike uphill and passing people on their xc rigs. I love having a justifiable need for a fullface and goggles.

And high fiving chicks in bikinis while doing moto whips off huge doubles is pretty cool too.

#15 ·
I started with some xc then quicly moved to all mountain and now dh/fr.

I like to go fast and catch air :D Really though I ride it all as I am an outdoors guy and I enjoy being outside riding . Its all for pure enjoyment for me.Plus it helps keep me young.

#16 ·
Because it F'ing Exhilarating. Its fun to catch air, rail berms (or try to) and hit that gnarly line. Its so self rewarding, not to mention where i go to school maybe 10 people i know are into it so its fun to be one of the few. plus pedaling up hill sucks. and to quote the guys in F1RST nothing can focus your thought so much.

#18 ·
its the personal challenge and the thrill of dh. i suppose the same could be said for fr but the level of dh is way up there in comparison. what can i say.... i dont climb fer shyt but i do learn to ride harder with the help of some talented rider friends.

when i stepped outta the race car in '93, i needed a new hobby and as a ex bmx snot from the 70's and 80's, i knew bikes might fit so i picked up a copy of mba and saw the kamakazi coverage. 62 mph? sounded like fun to me so i got me a new stumpjumper. the idea was to do somethin safer and less expensive than the car racin gig but i failed miserably with multiple injuries, 3 opperations and waaaaaaaaaaaaay to many very high end bikes. i never made it to mammoth but snow summit became a destination for a few years due to its proximity to az where i lived at the time. i remember when i pulled into the parkin lot the 1st time, looked up at the mtn and thought i was in terrible trouble. as intimidated as i was, i gave it a shot and did ok despite my total lack of skill.

almost a decade later, im in iowa and the bug is back. thank gawd i got not only faster but smarter so i crash less and even won a race which led to a used frame offer i couldnt refuse. so i built a '06 dhr thanx to a few pals like dt, greg & jratt at turner bikes, superstock, kreater and 1soulrider helped out, plus the folks at e-13, magura, hope, sram, rock shox and sun-ringle' assisted with parts deals. now, with a push from airwreck, im off to chase some bigger fish this year. watch out all you old fart cat 3 racers in the back half of the field! im commin after ya.... slowly. see ya in granby!

#21 ·
Because ever since I was a child, when I saw something dangerous and difficult, I wanted to do it, no matter the consequences. I have ended up in the hospital more than my share of times, compared to the average person. But when I am riding down a trail I can not help but try and go faster or try and hit that bigger jump that no one else wants to hit. Possibly a bit of the need to show off also, but the adrenaline is the main reason.

#23 ·
I like riding in all forms. I do XC rides, shuttles, BMX, DJ, whatever, and have fun. I like DH though because it does offer a challenge, and there's a requisite amount of skill involved. to an extent, somebody can be a very strong pedaler, and easily win a race without much skill (seriously, some XC riders are amazingly sketchy riders).

in a DH race, it's the other way around. it is the experienced, talented rider that will make it to the bottom first, not necessarily the guy that pedals the hardest (though it does help). no matter how hard you pedal, if you can't take a flat turn or have the cajones to bomb through a sketchy rock garden, you won't do well.

the other reason: it's a big challenge. I learn something new EVERY time I go out and ride. and it will be that way for years. look at top-level pros, and they all admit that they could be better. the possibility for improvement is infinite, which keeps any and all boredom at bay.

finally, I am a little lazy and like riding a truck to the top of the hill

#25 ·
I like crushing bunnies and small cute furry animals with my massive sideknobs and scaring small children by dressing up like darth vader and using the force to fly off of 40 ft drops.

Actually I look more like a stormtrooper with my Rockgardn gear. I need to find one of those helmets...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.