Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New 09 Boxxer Race vs. Used 07 Fox 40

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  DHgnaR 
#1 ·
I'm building up a Demo 8. Initially, I was planning on waiting for the new Boxxers to come out, but no one seems to know when that might be and I spoke with a SRAM rep that said that they're coming out in early 2010! WTF, right? I don't know if the guy knew what he was talking about, and I've heard different stories from different people, even some people saying it might come out by next month.

Anyway, I don't want to sit in limbo waiting for the new Boxxers. So my question is, should I buy a new 09 Boxxer Race for about $500 or a used 2007 Fox 40 for $700? I can adjust the floodgate on the Race with the "nyloc nut mod" to get a better response. Then, when the new Boxxers come out, I'll sell the fork I have.

What do you think?

#4 ·
I've got a Race with the nyloc nut mod done and it works well, its pretty straight forward to do and setup, i'm happy with mine, it's now a great fork thats cheap and really easy to service.

If you buy the Boxxer it comes with a warranty for piece of mind, if you did have any issues in the warranty period you can just take the nyloc nut out again and send them off.

With the used 40's, unless you know who's had them before you, you don't know how much they have been used, how they've been treated or even if they've ever been serviced.

I've no idea when the new Boxxer's are out, they look amazing but i'll stick with what i've got for now, I've got a WC air cartridge to go in mine yet.

#5 ·
dont let the "stay away from used parts" steer you away from good deals.

$700 up front, and if the fork is a little worn or needs service, you'll still end up less than retail for a great fork.

as long as your willing to work on your parts, and there aren't any unrepairable damages, used should not be an issue.

that said though, Boxxer is probably the easier fork to work on. I haven't worked on a Fox40 yet, but i can tear down my Boxxer in about 30min.

#7 ·
I got off the phone with our team's SRAM guy yesterday. Our price sheet had "Classic Boxxer" on it and I asked about the new 2010. He told me that they would be available in May.

#8 ·
Ithnu said:
I got off the phone with our team's SRAM guy yesterday. Our price sheet had "Classic Boxxer" on it and I asked about the new 2010. He told me that they would be available in May.
Man, I don't know if it's marketing to get people to buy the old Boxxers or what, but they seem to tell everyone something different. They told you May, they told my LBS in February or March and they told me 2010. May sounds like the most realistic option.

Hmmm...what to do, what to do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.