Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

climbing with a dh/fr bike

2K views 38 replies 29 participants last post by  asin 
#1 ·
how many of you pedal uphill to get to the downs with your dh/fr beasts? thoughts?

#3 ·
Well can't say I've done it up big hills, just playing around at home (we're on a rural property) and comparing the Giant STP and the Orange 222. The STP is lighter but the Orange seems to have more grip (peagravel) I guess due to extra weight and suspension.
So I don't see why not, my bikes both have 32t up front and 11-32 up back. Obviously for serious climbing a 34T up the back would be handy, either than or having a granny. In the end it will just make you fitter!

#4 ·
first.hander said:
how many of you pedal uphill to get to the downs with your dh/fr beasts? thoughts?
depends on the hill. my personal fave is up a decommissioned logging road, so about half the up is covered in babyheads, and basically unrideable.

I'm running a 36:32 ratio, and there hasn't been much, if anything, I couldn't pedal up. obviously for technical climbing a granny would be better, but technical climbing ain't my thang.

#6 ·
sq225917 said:
I pedal up every day with my Demo, clipless make all the difference, so you can 'push circles' instead of stomping the pedals.
You can do a 3/4 spin with flats if you use tall pins and sticky shoes. Clipless is nice but that upstroke doesn't do a ton for power though, hip flexors can't really drag a 40+ pound bike uphill any better than your quads, glutes, and hammies.

I like flats, I'm willing to give up a bit of climbing, especially with a DH/FR bike for the feel of them on the downhill.

#8 ·
sq225917 said:
I pedal up every day with my Demo, clipless make all the difference, so you can 'push circles' instead of stomping the pedals.
I've never heard of anyone wearing clipless with a Demo?! Why type of riding do you primarily do, and what kind of pedals do you have? Acids or Mallets?

I ride an Enduro, and swich from clipless "Candies" to platform 50/50's depending on the type of riding I'm doing. I used to use eggbeaters for XC but they don't have enough of a platform for the Enduro I've found...

#10 ·
Depends on the area your riding in. For example in the Alps, you just can't really climb with a DH Bike. When the climbs cover 6000+ vertical feet and the tracks are steep, you desperately need that granny ring, lots of platform and a low front end.
Some riders (especially those with burlier bikes) are even running a 20 tooth chainring.

#12 ·
Never shuttled...

before, except on a lift. Not opposed to it just don't see the need for it, yet! :D 37lb. Delirium T. As previous posters said, smooth pedaling and when you need to get on it do it and then get back to smooth pedaling. Push yourself, it makes the DH that much better. I've recently switched to flats (twenty6 Raleyes with 510's) and really don't see a lot of differnece except I might bounce off more often on the DH. I climb anywhere from 1800' to 3000' on every ride. I'm no spring chicken, either, I'm 41 so age isn't an excuse. As Nike says "Just do it!"

#13 ·
Clutchman83 said:
You can do a 3/4 spin with flats if you use tall pins and sticky shoes. Clipless is nice but that upstroke doesn't do a ton for power though, hip flexors can't really drag a 40+ pound bike uphill any better than your quads, glutes, and hammies.
Possible? Yes. Efficient.. not as much as pedalling circles with clipless. It takes alot more concentration and force onto the pedals in order to get the proper effect with flats.

#17 ·
PsyCro said:
Possible? Yes. Efficient.. not as much as pedalling circles with clipless. It takes alot more concentration and force onto the pedals in order to get the proper effect with flats.
I think it's easy. For me clipless are more about proper fit and foot position, not spinning. My upstroke sucks, I make way more power on the forward, down, and back strokes. The proper flat pedal/pin/shoe combo goes a long ways if you already have good spinning form.

#18 ·
I only wear clipless when it's bone dry and i'm riding faster trails rather than gnarly straight up and downs.

it's not that your flexors are any better than any other muscle for turning the pedals, it's the fact that you can do a perfectly smooth stroke that makes the difference, uphill on a full bouncer with limited platform is all about 'form'. Clips are worth a good 1/3 on any climb, more on steeper stuff.

#21 ·
Dominator13 said:
before, except on a lift. Not opposed to it just don't see the need for it, yet! :D 37lb. Delirium T. As previous posters said, smooth pedaling and when you need to get on it do it and then get back to smooth pedaling. Push yourself, it makes the DH that much better. I've recently switched to flats (twenty6 Raleyes with 510's) and really don't see a lot of differnece except I might bounce off more often on the DH. I climb anywhere from 1800' to 3000' on every ride. I'm no spring chicken, either, I'm 41 so age isn't an excuse. As Nike says "Just do it!"
But that's because you are a total frickin savage. Dom is an 8 foot tall beast man who showers in vodka and feeds his baby shrimp scampi.

#22 ·
So far it seems that people saying flats are alright for uphill are doing fireroad type climbs. At least thats my impression.
Anybody need to do technical climbing on their big rigs, or even just long and steep climbs? Im sure clipless would offer a huge advantage there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.